ordering 3950 - which options

steiny93

so we have landed on our floorplan and are looking to order a 3950; I'd very much like some input regarding which options are "must have's" and which don't matter

my thinking
  • Fantastic Vent w/Rain Sensor (in Bedroom) [pass; as with 2nd ac unit this isn't available]
  • Removable Edged Cargo Carpet [yes; this seems like a good thing]
  • Central Vacuum System [pass; would like some comments on this one]
  • Double Electric Queen Beds [yes]
  • Double Electric Queen Beds with Rear Convertible Sofa & Picnic Table [pass; thinking being that when we would be sitting in the back we would likely be dirty from the trails and rather sit on chairs vs. the beds]
  • 9 Cu. Ft. Refrigerator in Garage (3950, 370C) [yes; but perhaps we would buy our own to get a better one; is the factory one a propane/12/120 volt or just a regular? Would like some comments on this]
  • 12 Cu. Ft. Refrigerator with Ice Maker (4014 only) [pass; we are ordering a 3950]
  • 4 KW Generator - (CARB Certified) [will this run dual ac's?]
  • 5.5 KW Generator (CARB Certified) [is this a no brainer to get the bigger one?]
  • 32” Color LCD T.V. in Bedroom (N/A 2812, 3010) [pass; for the money i'll get a better one on my own; or is there a reason to get the factory one?]
  • Washer/Dryer (N/A 2812) [on fence; we don't use the one we have now]
  • 15,000 BTU Air Conditioner Heat Pump [thinking pass; but would like to hear from those that own this; is it a something i want/need?]
  • Second 13,500 BTU Air Conditioner in Bedroom [yes; for the money I'm thinking this is a slam dunk]
  • ToyLok [thinking pass]
  • Dual Pane Windows [thinking pass]
  • Mini Refrigerator (3612, 3850, 3950) [thinking pass as we want a full sized in the garage]
  • Second Fuel Cell [dunno on this? how big is it? how big is the standard? Do I need this for running a genset for say 1 weekend?]
  • Ramp Door Patio [think pass as isn't this just a waist high fence around the patio? Does the rig come with the screen kit for the rear ramp or is this is?]
  • HD Package [thinking pass; I don't care for the HD color; ]
I would greatly appreciate any input/comments likes or dislikes regarding any of these options.
Our usuage scenario
  • Weekend or week long trips
  • Typically hauling a couple atvs or a single sidexside
  • Wife/kid/me
  • Most of the trips will be in the northern 1/4 of the US (north of South Dakota)
  • We don't use the 5er once the snow flies; so no winter camping
  • It'll be sitting inside a building when not in use
  • We go on about 6 trips a year
thanks for looking

Crumgater

We have an ElkRidge, and don't haul toys, so only a few comments -

1. I'd add the dual pane windows (we don't currently have them). Helps keep the A/C inside in summer, and the Heat inside in the spring/fall. Here in the Pacific NW, it also would reduce the condensation on the inside during rainy season... which would be nice.

2. We added a fantastic fan to the bedroom vent. LOVE IT! We're not big fans of A/C, but even this year when we did run just the one A/C unit (it was in the 90's in Salt Lake City in late September) we were comfortable. It's also great for pulling outside air into the unit when it's nice outside, too. And, if you're boon-docking and don't want to run the generators for A/C, the fantastic fan is a big plus.

3. Washer/Dryer - if you don't use it now, why add all that extra weight?

4. We have the ToyLok (it was a dealer added option, not our choice) and have used it once or twice. The placement isn't always right for storing items - since it's right under the awning where we like to sit.

As for the rest, well... those are out of our league.
-T

PUG

Pug
Stieny;

We had an 09 3950 and just last spring traded it for a Carriage 36fws. We do more of the longer term camping as we go South from Idaho every winter and stay for 3 months or so. We enjoyed our 3950 but did not like the small living room. We saw a new one a few months ago and with the larger living room slide it helped with that issue quite a bit. We only had numerous visitors a couple of times so the additional beds were of little help over just having a fold out couch. We hauled usually a couple of dirt bikes or a street bike and dirt bike or an atv. We used the garage as an office/laundry room/storage room/sometimes bedroom. As I said before we wanted more living room space which we got with the Carriage 36fws but still needed a way to haul our toys. I put a hitch on the new trl and now pull a small trailer to handle that aspect.

To answer some of your questions I will try below:

• Fantastic Vent w/Rain Sensor (in Bedroom) [pass; as with 2nd ac unit this isn't available]
  • We had the 2nd ac and used the fan on it or just a fan on the dresser.
  • We went to Lowes and bought an indoor outdoor carpet piece and fit it ourself. Yes needed for guests.
  • Central Vacuum System [pass; would like some comments on this one] WE LOVED IT
  • Double Electric Queen Beds [yes] AS STATED BEFORE WE USED SELDOM BUT THEY ARE NICE AND A GOOD PLACE TO PILE JUNK
  • Double Electric Queen Beds with Rear Convertible Sofa & Picnic Table [pass; thinking being that when we would be sitting in the back we would likely be dirty from the trails and rather sit on chairs vs. the beds] YOU ARE RIGHT
  • 9 Cu. Ft. Refrigerator in Garage (3950, 370C) [yes; but perhaps we would buy our own to get a better one; is the factory one a propane/12/120 volt or just a regular? Would like some comments on this] OURS HAD A SMALLER REFRIG/COOLER THAT WAS 120 VOLT ONLY. IT WAS STILL VERY HANDY. WE ALSO ADDED A PORTABLE FREEZER THAT WE KEPT IN THE GARAGE.
  • 12 Cu. Ft. Refrigerator with Ice Maker (4014 only) [pass; we are ordering a 3950] OUR NEW ONE HAS A DOUBLE DOOR/DOUBLE FREEZER. WE KEPT THE SMALL COOLER AND PUT IT IN A CLOSET AREA FOR POP/WATER, ETC.
  • 5.5 KW Generator (CARB Certified) [is this a no brainer to get the bigger one?] IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE IN AREAS WHERE IT CAN BE PRETTY WARM AND NEED TO RUN A/C UNITS YES. WE SELDOM DRY CAMPED AND ONLY USED THE 5500 A COUPLE OF TIMES. IT WORKS NICE BUT PRICEY. ENDED UP BUYING A CHAMPION 4000 WATT IN CASE WE DRY CAMP. LOT CHEAPER.
  • 32” Color LCD T.V. in Bedroom (N/A 2812, 3010) [pass; for the money i'll get a better one on my own; or is there a reason to get the factory one?] WE HAD THE STD SMALLER ONE AND WORKED OK BUT BIGGER IS PROBABLY BETTER.
  • Washer/Dryer (N/A 2812) [on fence; we don't use the one we have now]WE HAD THE COMBO SPLENDIDE AND USED IT A LOT BEING WE TRAVEL FOR LONGER PERIODS. WE KEPT IT AND PUT IN NEW UNIT. PUT METAL CABLES UNDER LOWER BED IN GARAGE FOR AIR DRY OF CLOTHES.
  • 15,000 BTU Air Conditioner Heat Pump [thinking pass; but would like to hear from those that own this; is it a something i want/need?] I GUESS THEY ARE NICE?? IF NOT USING IN WINTER PROBABLY NOT WORTH IT
  • Second 13,500 BTU Air Conditioner in Bedroom [yes; for the money I'm thinking this is a slam dunk] YAH
  • ToyLok [thinking pass] NOT SURE WHAT THIS IS???
  • Dual Pane Windows [thinking pass] WE DIDN'T HAVE AND IF YOU ARE NOT STAYING IN VERY HOT OR VERY COLD CLIMATES PROBABLY NOT WORTH IT. MY PERSONAL OPINION ON THE 3950 IS IT IS A FAIRLY MILD TEMP TRL FOR FAMILY USE. OUR NEW ONE HAS DOUBLE WINDOWS AND WE CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE.
  • Mini Refrigerator (3612, 3850, 3950) [thinking pass as we want a full sized in the garage] THIS MUST BE THE ONE WE HAD. OUR W/D WAS BELOW OUR MINI.
  • Second Fuel Cell [dunno on this? how big is it? how big is the standard? Do I need this for running a genset for say 1 weekend?] I BELIEVE OURS WAS ABOUT 20 GALLON AND WE USED IT OCCASIONALLY FOR GEN AND A LOT FOR TOYS. SECOND, I DOUBT IT.
  • Ramp Door Patio [think pass as isn't this just a waist high fence around the patio? Does the rig come with the screen kit for the rear ramp or is this is?] NOT OFFERED BEFORE BUT DOUGHTFUL IF NOT HAVING THE COUCH BACK THERE.
  • HD Package [thinking pass; I don't care for the HD color; ] PRICEY. OURS WAS STD WHITE GLOSS. LOT EASIER TO KEEP CLEAN THAN A FANCY COLORED UP TRL. OUR NEW ONE IS WHITE ALSO.
I THINK I WOULD SEE IF A DUAL ELECTRIC MOTOR FRONT LIFT IS AVAILABLE. I HAD NOTHING BUT TROUBLE WITH MINE AND ENDED UP (AFTER THREE MOTORS) REPLACING IT WITH THE DUAL MOTOR SYSTEM.

THIS IS A LONG HEAVY TRL. I ORIGINALLY PULLED WITH A 3/4 TON CHEV DURAMAX SRA. UPGRADED TO A DUALLY RAM CUMMINS. MUCH SAFER, MORE STABLE.

DDED TST TIRE SENSORS ON PICKUP AND TRL TIRES. NICE TO HAVE.

I HAD THE DURO TIES AND PULLED THEM FOR 10K OR SO MILES. DIDN'T HAVE A PROBLEM BUT I THINK I WOULD ORDER NEW WITH THE GOODYEAR TIRES.

I INSTALLED A STD REESE 20K HITCH ON THE C/L OF THE REAR AXLE ON BOTH PICKUPS. WORKED FINE FOR TIGHT TURNING. SLIDER NOT NEEDED.

I ADDED AN AUXILLIARY FUEL TANK IN THE BED OF THE DODGE RAM. WE TRAVEL LONG DISTANCES AND IT IS NICE...

WELL I HOPE THIS HELPS. IF YOU NEED ANYTHING ELSE FEEL FREE TO ASK.

PUG

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I'd say go for duel pane windows (wish ours had them)
You might want to think about upgraded tires-wheels-and springs considering the weight of that rig.

Urban350

I would recomend the dual pain windows I have had more than one trailer and with and without would always have them now. I have the Toylok and use it all the time put it is at the back of my trailer. If camping with power on cool days and nights the heat pump works but electric heaters are cheaper. If getting the generator I would recomend the second fuel cell. My wife actualy hates the HD package with the vessel sink, would have gone with with a none HD if you could have found one (she wanted it right now lol...)

rustyshakelford

My opinions

Get the aux fuel cell. Main is 30 aux is 18. If your going to boondock the extra fuel is nice. We also use our trailer when we have power outages at the house. Great feature.

We have the dual pane windows. I guess we like them. Dont have anything to compare against.

2nd a/c is a must for us. Were in SE Texas and it gets hot and muggy.

We have the table/bench beds in the garage. Never used it. Removed the top bunk for more head room so the rhino would fit. Got them for resale value.

I wish the patio option was available when we ordered ours. That would be nice if you have dogs.

Get the 5500 watt genny.

We bought a 32" tv from best buy. Works great and was cheaper

Ours is the HD. Love the color. Looks cleaner than the white which shows everything. Also, the vessel bowl is a nice touch.

The most important option for safety would be to have the factory upgrade the tires and wheels to Goodyear g614 with the 110 psi wheels. Worth every penny.

Brett

TwoGypsies

You've gotten lots of good feedback.
-We don't have the washer/drier and haven't missed it. We easily carry at least a week's worth of clothes and we use the park laundromats. You can load everything in a couple of machines and it's done and over with pretty quickly. Without the machines you are lighter and have a bit more space. (You could surely launch a major thread debate on this...)
-Our lower "bunk" option is the two opposed benches against the walls. We like the versatility. They have served as beds, dining area, jigsaw puzzle cafe, video game lounge, and general junk holders. You mention a picnic table option which we've seen at a dealer and would rather have what we have now.
-We got the factory carpet for the garage. It really helps convert the garage into a living room. However, it takes a bit of time & effort to roll it out upon arrival & then roll it back up to store the bike. (Probably a sign we keep too much stuff that has to be moved.)
-We have the 2nd A/C but of course we're in the south. We did use it in South Dakota this past summer.
-Our 5.5 kw generator fuel consumption varies a lot based on what we run. I would opt for the aux tank if you're going to be off grid much, as others have suggested.
-We love our built-in vac. Might not have ordered it but it came with the 'on the lot' unit and we are very glad we have it.

Good Luck with your purchase and future camping.

porthole

Retired
'My thinking"
    • 2nd AC, switch the Fantastic fan to the bathroom, you'll appreciate the difference
    • pass. Mine has been in the attic since I brought the trailer home. Home Depot would have been cheaper. And since it is cut to fit it makes for a bit of a challenge putting it down.
  • Central Vacuum System [pass; would like some comments on this one]
    • Use ours all the time
  • Double Electric Queen Beds [yes]
  • Double Electric Queen Beds with Rear Convertible Sofa & Picnic Table [pass; thinking being that when we would be sitting in the back we would likely be dirty from the trails and rather sit on chairs vs. the beds]
    • Lot to think of. If you don't have it and miss it will be very pricey to add later.
  • 9 Cu. Ft. Refrigerator in Garage (3950, 370C) [yes; but perhaps we would buy our own to get a better one; is the factory one a propane/12/120 volt or just a regular? Would like some comments on this]
    • Pass. I would add a freezer. Factory option I believe is 110 only.
  • 12 Cu. Ft. Refrigerator with Ice Maker (4014 only) [pass; we are ordering a 3950]
    • pass
  • 5.5 KW Generator (CARB Certified) [is this a no brainer to get the bigger one?]
    • bigger is better, runs more doesn't work as hard. Smaller genny working hard equals more noise.
  • 32” Color LCD T.V. in Bedroom (N/A 2812, 3010) [pass; for the money i'll get a better one on my own; or is there a reason to get the factory one?]
    • Tough call based on how the factory mounts the TV. Our trailer came with two flat screens, neither are in the trailer now (Sony 1080p HD's).
  • Washer/Dryer (N/A 2812) [on fence; we don't use the one we have now]
    • Use ours all the time. If nothing else, after every shower the towels go in the dryer.
  • 15,000 BTU Air Conditioner Heat Pump [thinking pass; but would like to hear from those that own this; is it a something i want/need?]
    • Wasn't available when we ordered ours due to a plant fire. Opted for heat strips instead. They are inexpensive and work pretty good. We hardly ever use the propane furnace. When it gets cold heat pumps lose efficiency quickly and pretty much don't work below 40. Heat strips will keep outputting heat.
    • With either option, the thermostat are not setup to run both the furnace and heat pumps or heat strips.
  • Second 13,500 BTU Air Conditioner in Bedroom [yes; for the money I'm thinking this is a slam dunk]
    • Yes
  • ToyLok [thinking pass]
    • Have it and use it, but wouldn't miss it if I didn't. A 15' Kryptonite Cable is just as good, just not as convenient.
  • Dual Pane Windows [thinking pass]
    • Wouldn't be without them.
  • Mini Refrigerator (3612, 3850, 3950) [thinking pass as we want a full sized in the garage]
    • pass
  • Second Fuel Cell [dunno on this? how big is it? how big is the standard? Do I need this for running a genset for say 1 weekend?]
    • If it was available when we got ours, I would have. 2nd tank is about the same size as the main but for genny only. 50+ gallons of gas for a generator gives a lot of possibilities. Although, if you don't use the genny that much it may be more of a maintenance nightmare (stale gasoline)
  • Ramp Door Patio [think pass as isn't this just a waist high fence around the patio? Does the rig come with the screen kit for the rear ramp or is this is?]
    • Pricey option. I made my own "patio" cables and hardly ever use it. It is nice though when we can. Most regular campgrounds do not seem to be conducive to a ramp patio.
  • HD Package [thinking pass; I don't care for the HD color; ]
    • with the original interior scheme this would be a pass. Haven't seen the new rigs though.
I would greatly appreciate any input/comments likes or dislikes regarding any of these options.
Our usuage scenario
  • It'll be sitting inside a building when not in use
Now I feel sorry for you ...........................