Need Advice

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
We have AT&T cell phone, and a Verizon Galaxy Tablet that has MiFi capabilities to support 5 devices. My question is we are in Rockport Texas and cell service and campground WiFi services is poor. The Tablet and wifi works but is extremely slow. We have been told that we might need a router?, now I am not the smartest person when it comes to Routers and service. I need advice as what to get that will improve service if there is anything out there. Please keep in mind that we would like to keep it as cheap as possible.
Your help as always will be greatly appreciated.

danemayer

I doubt a router will help you in any way. If the Verizon tablet has built-in MiFi, it's either connecting to the campground wireless, or it's connecting to the Verizon data network to get to the internet. Any other devices that are connecting to the MiFi would also have the same slow performance. A router would just be another way of creating connections to your tablet.

If you're saying that both the campground wireless AND your Verizon data connection are slow, then you probably ought to talk to the 3gStore.com about options for improving your signal from Verizon. 1-866-347-8673

I ordered some stuff from them earlier this week including a Verizon MiFi device (not a tablet). I also got an external antenna, and a booster device that will work with the MiFi, or with cell phones. The booster isn't too expensive, nor is the external antenna. They also sell a more expensive repeater/amplifer that they say will help the most with a weak 3G signal (but not with 4G).

Anyway, they are knowledgeable and seem to have everything you might need, at various price points.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am getting ready to purchase an external antenna for wifi that I intend to mount on my ladder. Many of the parks we have been in have substandard wifi.

Not to highjack the thread,(sort of on the same subject), but has anyone had any experience with the "Captifi" ladder mount wifi antenna?

Thanks, Trace

Last edited:

mmomega

AnyTimer
Agreed that a router won't speed anything up.
Think of it like, you have a water faucet that puts out 1 gallon per minute. You have a single water hose connected to it.
Now add a splitter so you can connect 15 more water hoses, yet you're still only getting the same 1 gallon per minute from the source.

Also, most routers get a signal from an ethernet cable so unless you can plug your Galaxy tab in with ethernet it's not going to work. There are also some routers that pick up a current wifi signal then repeat it back out for better range but it only extends how far away you can be from your source of internet, it still won't speed up the signal.

IMHO, anything you purchase from the carrier stores, be it ATT, Verizon or what not, will be more expensive than purchasing online or a standard electronics store. My advice is to teach yourself and research rather than have a salesman tell you what you need. Most of the time. Example: 2 separate occasions, BestBuy employees telling me I must buy an HDMI cable from them, an 8' Monster HDMI cable if I want to actually experience 1080p resolution on my new TV, for $90. When in all actuality I can order an 8' HDMI cable online where I get all my other cables for $5.
Or we were on a trip and I had forgotten the Verizon MiFi charger. So I stopped by the Verizon store and they wanted $40 for a Verizon branded wall charger. I left and went to the WalMart next door and bought a USB wall charger for $10 and a microUSB cable for $8, same thing. Still more than you could buy it for online but saved $32 when I needed it.