Any Landmark owners towing with a 3/4 ton??

Greetings all, newbie here and I hope to be a new owner on this forum very soon. I've learned a lot from here in the past few days, but for now I'm doing my due diligence prior to a large purchase. My question is intended for those of you, if any, who are towing their Landmark with a F250 or 2500 series diesel. My tv is a 2011 SD F-250 crew cab short bed 4x4, srd with the new Ford 6.7 andair bags.

My current 31' 5er loaded is #10.6k and I double-tow my Jeep wrangler (another4k) with ease. I've been nothing but impressed with this vehicle's capability. I will not be towing my Jeep with the new rig due to weight and length issues. I probably should have kept my f350 dually, but I'm not getting rid of the new truck anytime soon.

It is not my intent to turn this into a debate of which tv is better, so any advice from experience with the same setup is welcome and very much appreciated. Thank you everyone.

Mark

jimtoo

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Since you have had a 5er before and been on the road, you have seen all kinds of units towing all kinds of units. You probably will be over your gvwr. But you will not be the only one out there. Your Ford will most likely tow it without any problems. I'm sure your going to get lots of answers soon.

Enjoy the forum and welcome aboard. Check out the Heartland Owners Club and rallies in your area.

Jim M

Mikemm62

Mike & Suzanne
Mark,
I do tow with a F250 07 and we own a landmark Oakmont. you may need air bags on your suspension but that would be all I would say .
Happy camping and hope to see you on the forum in the future.

Mike Markus

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Mark,
Here is another recent thread about the same thing. maybe you will find some information in it also.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/27571-F-250-HD-Crew-Cab-Diesel-6.4-beast-of-burden

lwmcguir

I have seen more F250's in this area towing HL's than larger TV's. Most of the toy haulers are running F350's or larger however. Stopping is really the thing you want to make sure is right. Good working brakes on the coach and the new 6.7 will take you where you want to go. The Coach has to stop itself to be safe on the road. Look at the ratio of semi tractors to the weight they pull. I am sure most of you have seen tripples going down the interstates.

RoadJunkie

The common phrase of 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks has become (IMHO) obsolete. There is now only 2500 and 3500 designation for trucks and the end user is responsible for determining whether the truck will "handle" a load based on the trucks designated fabrication weight limits. Some of the 2500 trucks have a GVWR of 10K lbs, which seems to be some sort of limit based on state licensing taxes. But the tires contain the same load rating on those of 3500 trucks. Axles could be the primary difference, but are they really heavier duty or simply rated higher? I had one dealer who told me the ONLY difference between 2500 and 3500 trucks was the overload spring on the rear, and that brakes, tires, etc., were the same on both units. Ah, dealers! Well, this whole subject is a "dead horse", beat by many. I guess even a "dead horse" is fun to kick around every once in a while. It's all about weight, so be very conservative on your loading practices.

Northern Virginia
I agree completely with you RoadJunkie. When I bought my GMC the only difference between the 2500 and 3500 SRW was the overload spring and the door sticker. I added airbags. No other mods. The truck pulls our loaded Landmark up steep hills easily and comes down the back side safely too.

Make sure you have E load range tires. The Landmarks are heavy on the pin.

I am sure your Ford pulls like my GMC. I have been happy and felt safe pulling our Landmark.

Be safe,
John

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Back when I was shopping for something to pull the 3670, the GM 2500 SRW's were only rated for 13400 lbs. (long bed) and 14300 lbs. (short bed). The 3500 long bed DRW was rated for 16000 lbs. My rig was 14525 lbs. going into Goshen with a pin of almost 3000 lbs. I went for the extra load capacity and all I've added was a set of Timbrens. You can run overweight if you like. I prefer safety margins.

mmomega

AnyTimer
My guess is that you can pull it, but you'll be overweight on the pin or GCWR of the truck + trailer. Check out http://fifthwheelst.com/

E
^^What she said.
You may be fine on the GCWR but I bet your GVWR would be overloaded.

I went from an 07 F350 SRW to an 11 350 DRW because like JohnDar said. I like my safety margins and I feel way more in control of this trailer than with the SRW truck.
Only thing airbags are good for is leveling the truck out if it is squatting because of weight. It does nothing to increase the weight carrying capacity of your rear axle, which on a 250 is 6,200lbs whereas a 350 is 7,280 and a 350 dually is 9,000. This is gross rear axle carrying weight.