TV Reception?

We purchased a new 2011 Big Country 3650RL in March of this year. We are experiencing problems with reception, and wonder if anyone else has had the same problem? We will be watching a show, and the show will go off saying weak signal or no signal. It happens on all stations, all the time, and is a PITA. We were at the SC Heartland rally this past weekend, and nobody else was having the problem. Any ideas??

Joann & Dan Stubbins

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would check all the coax connectors. Make sure they have a good crimp, that no sheilding wires are touching the center wire and that they are all screwed on tight.
Connection locations might include looking behind the UDC, the signal amplifier, the wall plates and up on the antenna itself. And of course any other spot you find.

Peace
Dave

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Does it happen in the bedroom and living room? And it is just on air like this past weekend or does it do it on cable too?

Start tracing all your connections. At least on my BC there is a splitter behind the basement wall and one above the coroplast about even with my entertainment center.

hillsonwheels

And, the reverse is true. Turn off the amplifier when hooked to cable. As a newbie I had that happen. Was getting terrible reception on cable. A campground worker 'splained it to me and I've had the opportunity to pass the tip along twice now.....once in Ocean City, MD and at Charleston, SC.

Dick

Vtxkid

I would check all the coax connectors. Make sure they have a good crimp, that no sheilding wires are touching the center wire and that they are all screwed on tight.
Connection locations might include looking behind the UDC, the signal amplifier, the wall plates and up on the antenna itself. And of course any other spot you find.

I found out that one of my RF connectors in the bedroom was in fact shorted out with a single sheilding wire which was wrapped around the center core. Had to look hard to find it. Good luck in your search!

wdk450

I would suggest flexing the connections while having your partner watch the TV to see if anything happens. I would also recommend some contact cleaner spray on the connections.
Intermittent connections are always such a PITA - BTW, I believe there is a coax connection on the antenna itself on the roof. A little wind could be moving it.

Bobby A

I would suggest flexing the connections while having your partner watch the TV to see if anything happens. I would also recommend some contact cleaner spray on the connections.
Intermittent connections are always such a PITA - BTW, I believe there is a coax connection on the antenna itself on the roof. A little wind could be moving it.

Mine was loose also on the roof, just had to tighten it and all has been fine ever since.

archbarb

We were at the SC Heartland Rally and our TV did the same thing using the antenna. I tried watching the LSU-Alabama game and it went on and off so much I gave up. I could improve it by turning the antenna, and it would stop for several minutes and do it again.

This is the first time this has happened to us. I just thought it was cloudy, windy and it was making the air waves weak!!!!!

Archie

phix

We had horrible reception on our new unit. DH connected a cable from the antenna on the roof, thru the front door, and then to the TV to test it. Suddenly we had lots of clear channels. Service center replaced the coax under warranty and all is well now.