Just off the top of my head re newbies.

twohappycampers

I find it amusing (not necessarily in a humorous way) that with so many new forum members, the first few posts are about "making the darn bed", the countertop scratches, floor care, getting at the back of the tv, etc. just like mine were. Wouldn't it be nice for the newbies to receive a kind of starter kit somehow when they first join, answering these typical questions for them right off the bat?

Probably a crazy idea. :eek:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You have been duly delegated to write this starter manual and provide it to every newbie that signs on. It must be model specific and cover every contingency. Good luck.

Speedy

That's no fun Bob. The manual needs to be a 2.6 gb PDF sent automatically to new people that sign up and login.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I understand your frustration, Lorna! It would be nice to have a thread titled "New HL? start here!" And have some of the common questions and problems listed or explained. I try to answer threads I see when I know we had those same issues starting out, so that newbies know they are not alone. :angel:

But a good instruction on the "advanced search" feature would be good, too. The regular "search" is not very helpful.

Erika

TeJay

I think it's a great idea. Here's something else to consider. At least we (Heartland owners) have a place to go for these answers. Think of those who buy the SOB campers. They don't know that we (HL Forums) even exist unless they are proactive in their search for a TT. So they start out with only their dealer and the PDI, which we all know how good and bad they can be. That's really a sad situation for them. We owned 2 motor homes before the TT and the Wife searched for 18 months before settling on the floor plan, general interior, and style of TT and a short list of manufacturers. Once we chose a manufacturer and found out about the forums then the learning began.
I thank all of you who are so dedicated to these forums for your continue support, ideas, and endless discussions. I'm on here every day learning, learning, and more learning and it's entertaining.
Thanks again,
TeJay

JohnDar

Even though I've slept at a Holiday Inn Express, I'm no expert on things RV. But if a newbie comes on and asks a question that's been asked before, I'll put my 2-cents in if I can without sniping about how it's been asked before. Especially since the search engines available are frustrating, at best. Why do I seem to post a lot of photos? Because I've read about the problems and questions of others and gone out photographed the items on my rig for reference, along with the mods I've done to fix or prevent them. What's that smarmy phrase? Oh yeah, "paying it forward."

If you've ever been an instructor, you know that with each new class the same old questions still get asked.

Last edited:

lorax

While a manual would make things simple; I have learned so many things that I would not have thought about from reading the posts. The "Search" function is good for emergencies but rooting are in old posts really provides a lot of info that many forum members have learned over time. This is really a short cut. Thanks for all the help.

twohappycampers

You're absolutely right! I don't know what I would have done without this forum. I thank my dealer very much for letting me know about it, I think HL for having it, and I thank all you for your support and friendship and patience in answering all my questions. I would have felt very alone addressing the problems on my own. And it is very comforting to know I always have someone to ask and somewhere to go with any subsequent problems. Take good care - Lorna

JohnDar

Unless one of you is volunteering to maintain the FAQ forum so that questions can be easily matched to answers (don't say use the SEARCH engine!), how about we just answer the newbie questions as they arise, even if it's been repeated before? Some folks remember the links to their posts or those of others and put them in their replies. I find it easier to just repeat what I've said before, sometimes updating it with new info. If it annoys you to repeat an answer, just close the thread without a reply and move on.

twohappycampers

Unless one of you is volunteering to maintain the FAQ forum so that questions can be easily matched to answers (don't say use the SEARCH engine!), how about we just answer the newbie questions as they arise, even if it's been repeated before? Some folks remember the links to their posts or those of others and put them in their replies. I find it easier to just repeat what I've said before, sometimes updating it with new info. If it annoys you to repeat an answer, just close the thread without a reply and move on.

Sorry, JohnDar, but when did I ever say it annoyed me to repeat an answer? You're misunderstanding me, but that's the way of the written word, isn't it?

JohnDar

Sorry, JohnDar, but when did I ever say it annoyed me to repeat an answer? You're misunderstanding me, but that's the way of the written word, isn't it?

Not you in particular. The complaint has been expressed in the past about the chore of answering repeat questions. If the goal is to grow the HOC, then I think we need to be willing to provide whatever answers we can and not tell "newbies" to "go search for it." That approach (go search for it) will not entice anyone to want to hang around with us. Heck, even I'd drop out and I'm about as thick skinned/headed as they come.

drzr

Thank you; as I am a "TOTAL" newbie, just bought a 2012 Cyclone 3800 today and as frustrating as it may be to you "seasoned rver's" it is so kind to have folk as Johndar and others who remember that they were once just as we are. BTW, I sincerely DO NOT mean anything by this but being an African American, I know it's going to "perhaps" be even more difficult for me. God Bless! And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't take this as racial!

jimtoo

Hi drzr,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

The Heartland family is here for support of each other. Some of us are more "seasoned" than others, but we all still can learn from one another. Some of the more "seasoned" are seasoned with the old way, not mentioning any names, :) and we have so much new technology around us now, it's hard for some to make changes. But we all love camping or we would not be here. So if you have questions, just ask. Someone will try to help.

Enjoy the forum and your new Cyclone.

JimM