Ground Fault tripping

wingfoot

My ground fault has started tripping. This is the one for the Refer, various light in the kitchen. No previous problems. I can reset and it works for a couple of minutes and then trips again. I was wondering if the breakers are like some others and get weak. This is a problem I've had with some other breakers but not a ground fault breaker. I'm thinking that I could have a loose/corroded contact but don't have a clue where to look/check.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Larry

wingfoot

You have interior lights on a GFI circuit? That does not sound right.

Bob, sorry my bad...My DW has a lamp plugged into one of the outlets. The only thing running off the GFI circuit are the Refr, coffee maker and the bathroom vanity plug (that's where the GFI is located).
I took my breaker panel off and checked all wire/screws...all OK..As I write, the only load on the GFI is the Refer. and one lamp.
I'm wondering if I could have a fault at the shore power source..bad ground? Since I've had no previous problems.

TedS

Start eliminating things.
Unplug the lamp, does the gfi trip?
No, then it is the lamp.
Yes, then it may be the refrigerator.
Unplug the refrigerator, does the gfi trip?
No, it is the refrigerator.
Yes, then the problem is in the wiring.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
If you are in a new to you park, the park's wiring could be suspect. I had a similar issue a couple years ago. I replaced the outlets with residential quality outlets and it still tripped. I ended up running a separate ground from the trailer frame direct to a short 2 foot X 1/2" rebar rod into the ground at the rear of the trailer. I keep the ground wire and rod handy in case I need it in the future.
One of THESE may help you find the problem.

wingfoot

Start eliminating things.
Unplug the lamp, does the gfi trip?
No, then it is the lamp.
Yes, then it may be the refrigerator.
Unplug the refrigerator, does the gfi trip?
No, it is the refrigerator.
Yes, then the problem is in the wiring.

I am starting the process of elimination...I'll post the results...

Thanks Ray..you could be right..we have only had this problem at this camp ground...I have one of those plug in tester..Where I don't know, I'll see if I can find it..

Thanks guys.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
And it could also just be the GFCI device in the bathroom. They can go bad in a sticks & bricks, they can go bad in an RV, too. Make sure the wires are connected properly to it, as well.

Rickhansen

Wignfoot,
A poor or missing ground shouldn't affect a GFCI circuit. It senses a difference in current between the hot and neutral lines. If there is any difference between the two, the current "leaked" to ground via some path.

I agree with Jimmy. Your outside receptacles, including the refrigerator outlet, are on the same circuit and are prime suspects due to moisture.

I've also seen a coffee pot with lime buildup cause a ground fault to trip.

wdk450

This isn't exactly the same as what Larry is experiencing but is on the subject of GFI trips. I stayed at a small campground in the Seattle area this summer, that only had a 15 amp service from a GFI outlet at my space. I found after a while the convection-microwave was tripping the outside service GFI, when the oven got wet inside from food moisture. I guess this moisture caused a leakage current path that the GFI couldn't differentiate from a person getting a shock.

wingfoot

And it could also just be the GFCI device in the bathroom. They can go bad in a sticks & bricks, they can go bad in an RV, too. Make sure the wires are connected properly to it, as well.

I think I've found it...Upon inspection of the GFI, I noticed one of the wires was not striped back far enough and appeared to be clamped down on the wire insulation. I stripped it back some more plugged it in, tightened the holding screw. It hasn't tripped in over two hours.

I just don't understand why all of a sudden this started happening...Have said I hate electrical problems? Probably because I don't know what I'm doing. Someone posted on this thread to check the stripped wires and that they are making full contact...Bingo! I hope.

Thanks again to all for the responses.

Larry