Has anyone had problems with the power cord reel?

EUREKA12

I am getting ready to buy a 3585 Bighorn and am debating on whether or not to add the power cord reel as an option. Has anyone had any experience with that feature? Any issues with it? Thanks for any help.

mntnman

Past Chapter Leader, SC and KY
I like the power cord reel. It saves on storage space. Have not had any trouble with it.

WilmanJim

We love the power cord reel. Our Bighorn is over 2 years old and we travel a lot so it gets used a lot. The only problem we have had is to be careful when you get the cord close to the end as we have had our switch stick on.
Sure easier than rolling a heavy 50 amp cord up, especially in the cold, and finding a place to put it.

Jim

SGeohagan

Love the power cord reel on our BH. Saves DH from picking up and lugging a heavy cord. On our previous 5er he had to coil and pick up and carry to put it up. It was very heavy and stiff. Haven't had any problems with it.
Suzy

TedS

We've had no problems in our 2011. Just have to be careful to feed the cable level and not lap the wraps.

jbeletti

I've had it on the last 3 coaches and love it! I would NOT have a coach without this feature.

Here's how I use mine to ensure trouble-free use:
  • After I pull the cord out to use it, I rarely put the cover (hatch door) back in place while in use. Even though there's a cut-out for the cord. It just seems to put to much pressure on the cover and causes it to twist a bit. This is due to the way the factory installs the cover with the hinge on the bottom / cut-out on the top. There's a reason it's installed this way. Probably so you don't have to use 3 hands to reel it back in, using one to hold the cover up :)
  • When I am ready to put it away, I unplug from the CG pedestal and pull the cord out on the ground, straight out from the reel, then I reel it straight in. This puts less strain on the system.
  • There's enough reel capacity to store the cord when care is taken to allow the cord to wrap the reel in tight wraps, then when at the end, allow it to make a second layer wrap.
  • I stop the reeling when I have about 6" left to reel in. I then push that 6" in by hand and tuck the plug to the left corner. Works everytime.
  • When wet or in grass, it's a good idea to hold a rag or paper towel in your hand and wrap it around the cord as it reels in. Though I rarely do it, still a good idea, just to clean it off.

Jim

DougS

Doug S
Power cord reel is one of the top 5 features why I bought my Landmark. Won't leave home without it.

hriker

WE have it on our Landmark. Love and wouldn't be without it. I always run the cable through a rag when reeling it in to clean off the cable. I agree stop with 6" or so still out and tuck it in the compartment and close and lock the door. No problems so far.

Pizzaguy

We have used ours every weekend for 2 years now May-October and haven't had one problem yet. I will not have another one without it!

Niles

The biggest problem I've had is the grief I get from other campers about how hard I have it, putting the cord up:eek:. Guess I'll just have to live with it because I'm not giving it up for nobody!!!!

Birchwood

We have used ours many times for over two years and we are full timers.
Had no problems with this power reel and makes life easier.

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I have the 3585 and I would not be with out the power reel. I did ha one of the wire terminals come off once. I fixed it and rewired it when I got home. By all means hold a rag in your hand to wipe the cable, and stop the 6" before the end and push the rest in. Every coach should have this feature... LOVE IT.
Larry and Donna Keever and Buddy
Oklahoma City, OK.
2010 Ford F-350 FX4 Lariet 6.4 PowerStroke Diesel
2011 BigHorn 3585 RL

jhardin

The power cord reel really impressed me when the dealer showed my wife and I how it worked. But, after we purchased our BH, I was amazed at how much I love this feature!

ATLJOHN

The only think I can say is you would be sorry if you dont get it. Also if you have the Level up option is another we love.

funntheson

Jim B is pretty much dead on with his routine. The only thing I can add is that I love my power cord reel as well, and highly reccomend it.

porthole

Retired
I like the reel so much I added it our Cyclone. Don't know why they are still not available on the cyclone.

2 best add-ons to our trailer, and will be on the next trailer - power cord reel and level up.