She's winterized....

RanCarr

Our NT BRS28 is winterized. We did her today and gave her a good cleaning, pulled the beds, shook out the throw rugs etc. But it wont be for long. We're hoping to head for FL the middle of next month. :) :D We'll pick a nice day so we can hit Atlanta before the sun goes down and the temperature drops. We have to time it right so the pipes don't freeze on the way down. We'll probably spend the 2 nights on the road at places like Flying-J as they have safe areas for RVs and nice stores and eateries. We never did locate a campground in the Atlanta area anywhere near I-75. But then do we really want to spend the money in a CG just to sleep?

Meanwhile we're busy converting the front porch to a sunroom.

phix

Regarding camping I-75 near Atlanta......
The COE parks are closed for the winter, but I think the state parks are open. If you would rather camp than do the Flying J, Red Top Mountain park in Cartersville is a good choice. They even have a lodge and restaurant. Be aware though that there is a very winding road and bridge on the way in, but that should not bother you guys too much being from TN. http://gastateparks.org/RedTopMountain

RanCarr

Regarding camping I-75 near Atlanta......
The COE parks are closed for the winter, but I think the state parks are open. If you would rather camp than do the Flying J, Red Top Mountain park in Cartersville is a good choice. They even have a lodge and restaurant. Be aware though that there is a very winding road and bridge on the way in, but that should not bother you guys too much being from TN. http://gastateparks.org/RedTopMountain

Thank you. When I Googled I didn't turn up this park. It's a little too close to TN though and north of the city. :( Our first night is spent south of Atlanta. That's about the time and distance when we're ready to call it a day and park somewhere. We also want to be south the city in the morning when we head out. The traffic in and around Atlanta, heading toward the city is horrific.

phix

Thank you. When I Googled I didn't turn up this park. It's a little too close to TN though and north of the city. :( Our first night is spent south of Atlanta. That's about the time and distance when we're ready to call it a day and park somewhere. We also want to be south the city in the morning when we head out. The traffic in and around Atlanta, heading toward the city is horrific.

Oh yes, indeed. Never want to have to go thru Atlanta traffic. There are also some nice state parks south such as Indian Springs. Whatever you decide, have a save and beautiful trip.

BTW, the I75 traffic all this week can be bad due to Thanksgiving. A couple of years ago, we got stuck well south of the airport in an awful jam (no RV at that time) several days before TG.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
We just winterized too! :( Took two gallons of antifreeze exactly for our BC 3450TS. Local forcast is for temps in the low 20's with possible snow. Our weather is very "fickle" We can have temps in the 50's on Monday and by Wednesday it is 20 degrees with a 50mph northeast wind and a wind chill below zero. Seems like it is short-lived but still not a fun time.

I am curious about how many of you manually release the valve on the City Water inlet and put antifreeze down it. I have never heard (or done ) of this until just last week. Is this a necessary "winterizing" step?

RanCarr

Oh yes, indeed. Never want to have to go thru Atlanta traffic. There are also some nice state parks south such as Indian Springs. Whatever you decide, have a save and beautiful trip.

BTW, the I75 traffic all this week can be bad due to Thanksgiving. A couple of years ago, we got stuck well south of the airport in an awful jam (no RV at that time) several days before TG.

We wouldn't go near Atlanta on a holiday weekend. We almost always leave home on a Monday and like to be south of the city in the morning as we're going in the opposite direction of all the traffic when we head out. We'll probably do the usual and stay in the RV section of a Flying-J for the night. Decent food. Good coffee. The RV section is quiet, clean and we always felt safe there.

RanCarr

I am curious about how many of you manually release the valve on the City Water inlet and put antifreeze down it. I have never heard (or done ) of this until just last week. Is this a necessary "winterizing" step?

We open the valve and let all the water drain from the system. Then we use the waterpump under the diningroom seat to pump the pink stuff throughout. It takes about 2 gallons. We also put the stuff down the traps. I don't think any goes into the fresh water tank. We don't like to use the water from the tank in any case. We bring water from home for cooking and coffee or use whatever city-water we're hooked up to. The water from the fresh water tank has a faint plastic smell to it that's a turn off.

Before we use the TT again, all the pink stuff is flushed out thoroughly.

traveler44

We have made the annual migration for the last 5 winters. I winterize the Bighorn before it freezes in our area and don't pump the pink out until southern Ga.or Al. About all we need in a rv park is electric to run heaters and tv to keep a good eye on the weather. Most rv parks we have found still offer full hookups clear up in Jan. anyway.