181 bed

kb0zke

We've had our 181 for almost a year now, and the only thing I don't like is the bed. After our first trip in it, we put a full-size foam mattress topper on top of the original mattress and that made the bed at least reasonably comfortable. Putting sheets and blankets on it, though, is a royal pain! I told DW that we're going back to using sleeping bags on top of the foam and mattress unless she wants to be the one to fight the bed. Part of the problem is that the bed is queen width, but not queen length. Queen fitted sheets don't fit.

I've thought about having DW make some custom-made fitted sheets, but she isn't excited about that idea, even though she sews for money. This is such a pain that at the Rally this summer I made a point of "making" the bed in each coach that was on display. One that had been high on our dream list has been removed from further consideration because it is impossible for me to make the bed, and the only way DW can get into the bed is by crawling in from the foot!

MountainTop

We also have the 181. I put a regular queen fitted sheet over the original mattress - couldn't stand the texture of the cover on it - and I expected the extra fabric on the end to be a problem. But it stayed neatly tucked in for over 2 weeks. We opted to add our Thermarest camping mattresses on top of the MPG mattress for now and used sleeping bags. Not sure if we'll continue that, especially in the summer, but we've just decided not to expect the RV bed to be just like the bed at home. At some point we may buy some surplus closed cell foam, cut it to size with an electric knife (works very well) and then figure out how to cover it all with a sheet or custom made cover.