Noise when throwing AC breaker to run on AC

jhardin

When I plug my 50 amp cord into two 30 amp receptacles (breaker off), then flip the breakers on, there is an arching noise (like an ark when a breaker trips) inside my BH. Everything will work fine, any idea what this noise may be? I am using a 50 amp RV (2 -30amp plugs (male) to a 50amp (female) adapter. I do not know if it makes the noise on a straight 50 amp connection, because I haven’t been to a 50 amp connection site yet. Thanks for your help in advance! ~Jerry~

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Why do you plug into two 30 amp breakers? Your wiring to the coach is only rated for 50 amp. You are plugged into 60 amp now. The breakers are in place to protect the wiring. 50 amp protects the #6 wire that your shore cord is. 60 amp does not.
Try and plug into just one 30 amp with the correct adaptor.

Paece
Dave

Northern Virginia
I assume you are using an adapter like this?

cheater-box-50-amp-adapter_2156_1.jpg
Do you have a transfer switch (generator prep)? If you do, you will hear the contactors close when you power up which makes a clapping, clunk or pop like sound.

John

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I agree with Dave. Plug into one 30 amp until you can get to a true 50 amp to test it.
I wouldn't push it. You may have another problem of some kind.

Unless you are running two A/C's, you probably don't even need 50. Trace

Last edited:

jhardin

I am using a cord like that, and I do have generator prep (no generator). It's hard to explain the sound other than an electrical ark sound, as a breaker trips. Maybe that's my problem though, thanks again!

rustyshakelford

if you have generator prep i wonder if its the transfer switch doing its thing? i know ours makes a thud whenever we start the genny up and it switches over to it

brett

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
You don't have to worry about the adapters you are using, they are designed to work with your 50 amp rig, the way i understand it. As to the arcing, sounds like you have a problem, and something should have burnt up or blew a breaker by now. Get somebody to check it out asap. Something ain't right, it is wired wrong some where. Either your adapters or your rv.