Tow vehicle

vicrider

Would my 02 2500 duramax pull a 2011 grand canyon ok? it has air bags, but no other mods. What mods would you recommend if it won't do well stock? I pull a little 24ft Komfort now so this would be a BIG jump for us.

jimtoo

Hi vicrider,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

You will get lots of answers, some yes, some no. Your truck will pull it, you will most likely be overloaded legally. Lots of folks out there pullin some mighty big rigs with a 2500.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Our trailer is about the same dry weight and we towed it over 6,000 miles with our 01 Dodge Cummins, ended up buying the other truck in our sig. We are much more relaxed getting where we are going now.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Remember opinions here have little value, find out the specs of your truck first. I believe your 02 chevy can tow legally a max. of 12k. so you will be overloaded. Also note, if you have an accident and it's discovered that you're overweight your insurance company can limit its liability and leave you exposed.

PUG

Pug
I pulled our old 2009 Cyclone 3950 with an 02 Duramax. I believe the Cyclone is close to the same weight as what you are looking at. I had the Duro boosted by 75 hp and was running pyro and boost guages. Without the pyro I would have smoked the engine. You also had to watch the trans temp as it would start running pretty hot when pulling on long hills. I had air bags as well and the single rear tires. I always worried about blowing a rear tire on the truck.

I traded the Duro in for a one ton 09 New Dually Dodge Cummins, megacab, short box. That engine eats miles and hills up. The dually gives you peace of mind about blowouts and the ride is very very stable now. I would advise to go with a one ton dually.

Delaine and Lindy

Pin weight will be the issue with the 3/4 tons Trucks, have owned several Duramax's never a issue. The GM Duramax has plenty of HP, the other issues is stopping the weight. I also don't believe in gadgets to increase HP/Torq, thats a personal choice but the GM HD Trucks don't need any more HP. Its very simple stay in the weight ratings and you want have a issue. I didn't own but one 2500HD and it was towing within all weight ratings. I moved to a larger 5th wheel and went to a 1 ton GM 3500HD DRW's. I do believe the 1 ton Trucks are much safer when towing heavy than a 3/4 ton. As for as Insurance companies, I have never seen any evidence were a Ins. company failed to pay for damage from over weight. I have also never seen a LEO pull a 5th wheel over and weight the Truck or 5th wheel. You will read about this comment often, its always hearsay no proof. Good Luck with YOUR decision..... Happy Trails.....

caissiel

I tow my 15K lbs BC with the 2005 F250 and feel I am at my max. The pin weight and trailer weights less then the Landmark. I bought the trailer to suit my truck, but any heavier was not in my plans.
I had a GM2500 and it was capable to carry more weight then my Ford. So yours might carry the pin weight. I bet the Landmark will tow as well any other smaller units as it has the 110Lbs tires like mine and on fairly flat ground it hardly feel its bhind with low torque readings compared to the previous 33ft trailer I towed for 13 years with a GM2500. The power required to tow myBC is up to 20% less then the previous 12K unit.
Weight in the box was 3600 Lbs compared to mine is 2200 Lbs.

Last edited:

GOTTOYS

Would my 02 2500 duramax pull a 2011 grand canyon ok? it has air bags, but no other mods. What mods would you recommend if it won't do well stock? I pull a little 24ft Komfort now so this would be a BIG jump for us.
Air bags do not increase the load carrying capacity. They will only level the truck. On most trucks everything is the same between between 2500 and 3500 series single axle models, except for the rear springs. I'm thinking you are probably going to be well over your combined gross weight rating as well as your rear axle rating. Run it over a scale and weigh it when it is equipped as it will be going down the road. You are the one that needs to determine if you feel safe driving it or not. The numbers you get off the scale will help you with that decision....Don

Birchwood

Just don't exceed the GVWR stamped on your door sill and you will be legally ok and your truck will
not be overloaded.The unfortunate thing here is you will exceed the GVWR of your 3/4 ton truck.
No matter how many modifications you do to your vehicle the GVWR value can only be changed
by General Motors.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Pin weight will be the issue with the 3/4 tons Trucks, have owned several Duramax's never a issue. The GM Duramax has plenty of HP, the other issues is stopping the weight. I also don't believe in gadgets to increase HP/Torq, thats a personal choice but the GM HD Trucks don't need any more HP. Its very simple stay in the weight ratings and you want have a issue. I didn't own but one 2500HD and it was towing within all weight ratings. I moved to a larger 5th wheel and went to a 1 ton GM 3500HD DRW's. I do believe the 1 ton Trucks are much safer when towing heavy than a 3/4 ton. As for as Insurance companies, I have never seen any evidence were a Ins. company failed to pay for damage from over weight. I have also never seen a LEO pull a 5th wheel over and weight the Truck or 5th wheel. You will read about this comment often, its always hearsay no proof. Good Luck with YOUR decision..... Happy Trails.....

My proof is.... best friend and brother-in-law is dead caused by a overloaded rig broke down in the center lane. (ca 91 / I-15, 2000) You are right the insurance company did pay off 4 years later (sister-in-law recieved only $400,000). Who cares about the insurance repair cost of a overloaded rig! I care about the people you can hurt or kill from towing a overloaded rig.