Refrigerator On or Off While Traveling!!

fhollan

A fair question and just out of curiosity; how many RV'rs travel with the refrigerator on using the LP gas? The reason for the question was I did read where a member had a tire blowout and it not only cut his water line and damaged the unit, but it also cut his LP line to the refrigerator. Luckily no sparks and no fire. Last fall, just south of here we had a TV and TT that lost control and inverted, causing the unit to catch fire. The driver lost his life due to the fire. It does make you think.

SmokeyBare

Frans,

I always turn the Refrigerator OFF

I always gas valves OFF

I remember well two RV Fires I made runs to while working. Both left nothing but the frames...

The one that comes to mind... caused a loss of life...

They were warm as it was summer so they had their Roof A/C working by using their Generator to power the A/C as they drove down the Interstate Highway.

That generator was fueled by the Motor Home's gas tank. That line started to leak... spraying fuel on the hot generator motor... and soon there was fire flaring out of the side of their Motor Home. One of them never made it out of that burning RV.

Although there is a vast difference between Gasoline and propane... the results could be very much the same.

I chose to play it safe always... keeping my Refrigerator door closed... it never even melts the ice or the frost in the freezer when we stop driving at days end.

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Frans, I usually travel with the frig on in our 3600RL. However, both you and Marv make a lot of sense with your logic and comments. Stay safe.
tom w

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We leave ours ON. When the frig temp gets over 40 degrees things start growing. It all depends on individual choice the remote chance of fire or possible food poisoning.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
I have always traveled with it on but this is giving me food for thought.
I am now wondering if the solar system we are having installed on the new Mt. Rushmore will power the refrigerator while in transit.

Don

Uncle Rog

Howdy, I usually leave it on. When I blew a tire in DV the carcass did bend up the gas line pretty good, the line to the heater. The reefer on the 3600RL sits forward enough of the wheel well to avoid any debris and the gas line is not exposed as is the heater line. I also carry 4 fire exstinguishers on the rig and 2 in the GMC when towing. I am going to re-directy the heater line so that it is not as vulnerable to damage.........

navyAZ1

I will travel with ours on if we will be on the road for more than 6 hrs a day and if the travel will be fairly level if it is mountainous I do not use the LP as I was told by a tech that you can develop an air bubble in the system on steep inclines and this could burn out your frig system. If we know we will be on the road for less than 6 hrs than we place 5 of the blue freezer packs in the frig and that holds the temp very well, then when we get to the campground we put the packs back in the freezer for use the next time.:D

nhunter

Anyone know why the rv industry seems to have gone away from the 3 way fridge-propane, 120v and 12v?

Karl

2006 Chevrolet 3500 SRW
I always travel with my propane off. I keep a tell tale temp gauge which reads both min/max temperatures in the fridge area and use the old ice cube in a baggie for the freezer compartment. To date we have never had a problem. Food in the freezer stays really cold and the food compartment is still around 42.

The other problem is the possibilty of having an ignition source during a fuel stop or if there is an accident.

With the unit moving around during towing you never know how much chaffing of lines is going on... with the tanks off that is just one less thing to worry about. and thats my two cents worth.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
We always turn ours off, we have done long days of travel and fridge is always good and cold..../Doug

bking

We generally only run the refrigerator on short trips such as long weekends somewhere locally. These trips are typically to state parks. We stock up with food ahead of time so we don't need to spend time shopping after we arrive.

iefpro01

OK - I am confused. I thought that the fridge would work off of battery power while traveling. Aren't the batteries charged from the TV during travel? I am also thinking of getting a solar panel or two for additional dry camping power without generator.

I never travel with gas on, but on my past RV's all of them worked on DC power as well. I have not gotten my new BH (maybe this week) yet so I do not know about it yet. So guys tell me why do you use gas - ever to run your fridge? Seems a waste of gas..

Past RV's include 1) Class C, 2) 38' Diesel pusher, 3) Travel Trailer.

Cheryl

Our fridge doesn't work off of battery power and neither did the ones in the first 2 campers we owned. We have been camping since 1988 and have always ran the fridge when traveling. My husband has been camping since the 1960's. His father also left the fridge on. With 4 growing boys to feed, they had to take food from home.

C

Chulinw

The only unit I had that ways 3 way was a Tent Camper. The last 3 units have always been Gas or electric only. I never have seen a large fridge that was 3 ways. It possible that make them I just have not seen any.