Anode Rod for Hot Water Heater in MPG

mtran868

I need to replace my anode rod in the hot water heater for my 2011 MPG. Is there a big box store where I can buy it? I don't have a Camping World nearby and I'm afraid to buy one on Amazon since it may not be the right size or thread type. I'm sure RV dealers sell them but they charge twice as much.

Any recommendations? I called Bass Pro Shops, Wal-Mart, And Academy but none of them sell Anode Rods.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
They are under $20 so if you find one that is the correct length at any hardware store the thread size should be the same.
They come in aluminum or magnesium. Either will do.
Lengths are 4.5 in or 9.5 in. Pull yours to check the proper replacement length.

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Lowes and HD have them. Take the old one with you. As far as I know they are a standard thread size used in house WH's. While you have it out, flush the tank.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have, and will continue, to buy them when needed from an RV parts store. So far, I haven't felt the need to receive any candy or flowers from them for making the purchase :rolleyes:

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I'm sure RV dealers sell them but they charge twice as much.

They are pretty easy to find. Our local RV dealer (Northwoods brand) sells them the same price as Wal-Mart etc. Give your dealer a call before making a special trip somewhere else, you might be surprised.

Best Wishes!

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
FYI, they are not all the same thread. Atwood and Suburban are different. They're right around $20 from any RV store or should be. I wouldn't be worried about buying online as long as you know if you have an Atwood or a suburban water heater.
PS. flush the thing well if it's ate an anode rod in that short of a time period. You can get a little hose attachment that helps you flush up inside.

pegmikef

I just bought one at my local RV store. They don't have a lot for parts, but they had them for Suburban HWs. 23 bucks with tax.

JohnDar

The life of the anode rod is very dependent on the quality of water going into the water heater. Mineral-laden campground well water will eat it up in a single season. The campground we stay at has very good well water, yet I still run it through a two filter system. My original anode rod will be reinstalled next spring for it's fourth summer.

marc515

When I replace mine next season, I'm going to get the one with the drain Petcock so I don't have to unscrew the annode rod inbetween trips

JohnDar

When I replace mine next season, I'm going to get the one with the drain Petcock so I don't have to unscrew the annode rod inbetween trips

Did I mention that I install mine in April and remove it in October, and don't drain the tank all summer? I just turn off the power to it when we're not there.