A few modifications 32 BUDS

olyfire

Here's a few modifications. I added two drawers under the dinette seating. These are full three foot drawers. I found the rails on line and they are rated at 300 pounds and the drawers are made out of 5/8 plywood.
I opened the area under the ladder to the upper bunk for a closet. It's just an open void being wasted. I notched one side of the frame so the ladder is removable.
The other mod was to build drawers next to the bed to fill the holes. Nice extra storage.

Attachments

• DSCF2867.JPG
    DSCF2867.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCF2865.JPG
    DSCF2865.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCF2862.JPG
    DSCF2862.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCF2861.JPG
    DSCF2861.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 215
  • DSCF2860.JPG
    DSCF2860.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 214
  • DSCF2855.JPG
    DSCF2855.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCF2856.JPG
    DSCF2856.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 195

twohappycampers

Very nice!! We have a different model so can't copy these exact ideas, but it's a good prod to look around with fresh eyes and see what extra "hidden" storage I may be able to find. Thanks for posting. :)

TeJay

Very nice job. You have some tools and experience with cabinet making. On the small draws on the side of the bed how are they made to slide? Are they just sitting on the top? How do they stay in place while driving? I just completed a furnace insulation and filter installation on our 24-RBS that I should post. The furnace is now quieter and all incoming air is filtered.

Great job olyfire !!
TeJay

Ray55

Thank you olyfire for posting these. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Great ideas. I plan to try to do the same.

olyfire

TeJay

I put felt stick on pads on the bottom of the drawers in the bedroom. They slide in and very nicely but never move in transit. The two large drawers are a different story. Although they do have locks the drawers tend to slide out in transit. I put a screw eye in the foot area of the dinette and use a small bungee hocked to the handles. Still looking for a better lock system.
It would be nice to have a quieter furnace, do post your pictures.

TeJay

olyfire,
Here's my furnace mod. Your opening should be a minimum of about 70 Sq ". My opening is 200" so it's plenty big. I increased the front grill size for a larger air filter (HD $10). The area inside the enclosure is lined with two layered foam. The stuff I had was 1/2" thick so I doubled it. Also cut holes in top layer for extra sound trapping. Foam is covered on both sides and glued together with contact cement. Panels once made can be cut into smaller pieces for easier placement and glued down with panel adhesive. The top panels I put in screws with washers to hold until adhesive set. The opening is reduced with foam strips to reduce noise. Enclosing that area will affect noise reduction to a greater extent. Remember you really only need about 70 Sq. inches for the furnace to have enough return air. Reducing the opening won't affect the furnace. We should not need to turn the TV up when the heat kicks in.
TeJay

Attachments

• DSC00503.JPG
    DSC00503.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC00505.JPG
    DSC00505.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC00506.JPG
    DSC00506.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC00508.JPG
    DSC00508.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC00511.JPG
    DSC00511.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC00514.JPG
    DSC00514.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC00521.JPG
    DSC00521.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC00523.JPG
    DSC00523.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC00525.JPG
    DSC00525.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 143

olyfire

Great pictures, I would have never thought about insulating and enlarging the opening. We lived in our 5th wheel for two years and it was always annoying to have to turn up the TV every time the furnace kicked on. This looks like something I'll have to try this spring.
Thank you

TeJay

Olyfire,
Thanks, I got the idea from "modmyRV.com" But as with most things I do I can't do as they say I always have to try new idea to improve something. But it was a good starting point. I also installed shocks on our 24-RBS per the idea from that same sight. That really took some doing with making mounts for the four corners. I guess it took me about 4 days. I had to take my mock ups into town to do the work. The shocks were really difficult to find at a reasonable price as well. I simply called the manufacturers and told them the distances from complete compression to full extension. But that's another good mod if you're interested.

TeJay

Ray55

Thank you for posting these pictures. Definatly going to do some of these things.

Last edited:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Larry and Jo - love your thinking about creating more useable space. Great job!!

TeJay - we aren't full timing yet but like the idea of putting sound boards inside the return. Nice job.

olyfire

Nabo

Thanks, It sure helped to the extra space. We have 9 grandchildren and we camp with them 3 or 4 at a time all summer. The extra space sure helps for more comfort.

jimtoo

Awesome! Purchasing a Buds this weekend! Can't wait to try it out.

Hi Nicloefoot,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

When you go for you PDI be sure you check everything and take your time. If you need help with anything the Heartland family will be here for you.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M