ATF: MPG - Front Stabilizer Jacks

Ozzie62

I would like to add front stabilizer jacks to my newly purchased 183. Can I just order another set of rear jacks and have my dealer install? They did mention the gas line is in the way and they may have to install at an angle because of the 2 screw in front and 1 in rear of the jack.

jimtoo

Hi Ozzie62,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Jim M

kb0zke

We've got a 181, and I've thought about adding some in front, too. Yes, the gas line might be in the way. I'm wondering if I can find something that is removable, with a saddle that would be big enough to fit the frame. No drilling involved, but two more things that will need homes when traveling.

ptarthur2

How about the pyramid shaped stablizer jacks that you would just place underneath each front corner then screw the jack post up tight to the bottom of the camper frame? I know I remember seeing a picture of an MPG camper with this type of jack under the front and I was thinking of getting a couple of them myself.

Flapwing

I just loosened the clamps holding the gas line and slid the line aft about 2 -3 inches..... I took the rear jacks and mounted them in a fore / aft orientation using self tapping screws.... for the aft end I bought 2 BAL jacks online (amazon) and attached where the original jacks were. This was all done on my 181. I noted the original OEM jacks were not BAL as the sticker on the frame claimed but a Chinese copy. The BAL pair I bought online were genuine made in the USA.

FoxHunt

I added front stabilizer jacks and did so without moving the gas line. I ordered the jacks off of eBay (granted they are made in China, they are no lesser quality than the ones installed from the factory). The jacks are identical to the ones on the back, and I installed them by only securing them with two bolts, not three. The "extra" bold is not a bolt that sustains much of the pressure when the jack is down. The "single" bolt end is the one that takes the brunt of the pressure. Even then, the pressure is being forced up into the framing and not "pulling" on the head of the screw/bolt (whichever you prefer to use). I will snap a few pictures tomorrow to show you what I mean. You don't need to waste money taking it to a dealer... drill two holes, insert two bolts with washers and lock washers, and tighten them down. I've cranked these jacks down and not noticed any side-to-side action from the missing bolt.