Heater duct "popping"

HTWT

HTWT
During our first trip out in our new Bighorn 3400RL it got down to 34 degrees at night. We used the heater and after 5 minutes or so we heard a popping noise from the ducting near the heater (sounded like metal ducting). Just one “pop” and then it was quiet. A few minutes later it happened again, this time from the middle of the rig, and then after a few more minutes again at the rear of the trailer. After the heater cycled to the off position, we again heard the “pops” this time in reverse order. They were loud “pops”, enough to get our attention…and bothersome…anybody have any ideas? :confused:

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
HTWT
I own a Grand Canyon, and when in weather that is that cold my heat ducts tend to expand and contract, I believe this is what you are hearing. The duct work will do this starting at the heater and then moving along the duct work. Hope this is what you are hearing.

glenn

jbeletti

HTWT and Glenn,

I too noticed popping on my Landmark Mt. Rushmore a few minutes after the heat came on. Didn't listen for pops after it shut off. To me, they were loud enough to make me wonder at first, what that noise outside was (like a nut dropping to the roof from a tree) but not loud enough to annoy me.

With metal ducting, I wonder if this popping is avoidable. Perhaps if the sheet metal used was a heavier gauge??

Maybe someone who has HVAC experience will be able to chime in in heat duct popping and prevention thereof.

Jim

JoPa

Heater Duct "Popping"

Did anyone find an answer to this? Just bought a Bighorn 3400RL and am sitting here in Rocky Point, MX listening to this "popping" sound. This is the first RV I've had that does this.

Last edited:

HTWT

HTWT
JoPa
I never got an answer except for the replies below, I can only assume it's the expansion of the ducts. I got used to it somewhat but it's still there and sometimes anoying. HTWT

JoPa

Heater Duct "Popping"

HTWT. Thanks for the answer. It is annoying. If I find out anything I will let you know.

tinkers

Full timers
Heater Duct Popping

We experienced the same thing the first time we used ours....at first, we thought someone had banged on the side of the trailer!!! It actually would shake the whole trailer!!! It took a while to figure it out, but then my husband got tired of it, and cut out some styrofoam strips and inserted them into the ducts, stopping all the banging!!! We were on the road for about 2 weeks on our trip to Florida, and they fell out and started again, but we put them back. It is both annoying and frustrating that they should do that. We have had 2 previous 5th wheels and never had that experience.

Pat & Logan
Tinkers