Buckshot: Overkill for the Home Defense Shotgun?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dave, good reading. I don't think I would ever fire a "scatter gun" inside the coach. Toooo many holes to try to fix. At least with an ACP you would have only one small hole to fix.:eek::eek:

scott b

Bob if you are ever in a position where you are in fear of your life and that of your family, and you find it nessesary to fire a gun as a means of defence, the number one objective is to hit what you are shooting at. A short barrel shotgun is by far the best , instead of one projectile there are many, fixing holes should be the least of your worries.

davebennington

Scott,

I agree with you first and foremost is to stop any further advancement by a person meaning to do you and your family harm. In my opinion you have to do what ever needs to be done no matter what takes be it gun,knife, club, or hands.

dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Your comments may be true. But I bet if your lit off a 45 ACP with 7 rounds in it at someone they might just have a to go home and change their underware. Well if they are still moving on their own. To each there own...I never felt a rifle in a confined space was as good as a hand gun. I never worry about Patty...she's Annie Oakly Jr. with a hand gun. Thats why I never give her any grief.:eek:

scott b

Bob, your talking about 2 different weapons. You are right in that a rifle is not good in a confined space, for some of the same reasons as a pistol, only 1 projectile , that's what makes a Shotgun so good for the purpose of home defence . One shot from a shotgun delivers more deadly pellets than 7 shots from the pistol in 1/7 th of the time. I know that opinions on defending ourselves differ, however if I shoot at anyone, I don't want to scare them , I want them dead .

Yup give me the scatter for home or trailer defense. Taurus Judge, 5 000 buck shot all in a neat little handgun package. Easier to maneuver with than a shotgun, so it is good in the truck also. Makes for a good snake gun in the hills too.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Mossberg 500 Persuader, breaks down to a pistol grip. No messy handgun permits required.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Mossberg 500 Persuader, breaks down to a pistol grip. No messy handgun permits required.

Interesting idea. I can get a pistol grip to modify my vintage Winchester 1200 Riot Gun for about $45. Home defense without reaching for my trifocals. All I need is a bayonet to fit onto the barrel lugs and scream "BON ZAI!!" Bad guy would think he's visiting Armageddon Avenue seeing some crazed bald guy in his skivvies firing at him. Wife could be blazing away with the 9mm and the .45, or the AR-15 is she's feeling real funky, and we'd have our own version of Extreme MakeOver...Home Edition. Maybe Max can handle the .38 and little Ally gets the .22 derringer to shoot off his toes. All else we'd need is a CD with banjo music on it. And to tell the cops to bring a sponge and turkey baster to pick up what's left of the bad guy. YEEE HAAAH!

Seriously, for $45, and working a couple of screws, the pistol grip mod is on the table.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Interesting idea. I can get a pistol grip to modify my vintage Winchester 1200 Riot Gun for about $45. Home defense without reaching for my trifocals. All I need is a bayonet to fit onto the barrel lugs and scream "BON ZAI!!" Bad guy would think he's visiting Armageddon Avenue seeing some crazed bald guy in his skivvies firing at him. Wife could be blazing away with the 9mm and the .45, or the AR-15 is she's feeling real funky, and we'd have our own version of Extreme MakeOver...Home Edition. Maybe Max can handle the .38 and little Ally gets the .22 derringer to shoot off his toes. All else we'd need is a CD with banjo music on it. And to tell the cops to bring a sponge and turkey baster to pick up what's left of the bad guy. YEEE HAAAH!

Seriously, for $45, and working a couple of screws, the pistol grip mod is on the table.

John,
Seriously, I tried to navigate handgun laws from one state to the next, due to fulltiming travel and it's really quite confusing. I finally just gave up and went that route.

Trace

Last edited:

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
I have a Taurus Judge. Loaded with two 410 shotgun shells and three 45 colt rounds. If the first two don't finish the job, the next three should do it. I don't ever want to know for sure if I could pull the trigger, but I really believe I could if someone is threatening me or by family. Ken

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John,
Seriously, I tried to navigate handgun laws from one state to the next, due to fulltiming travel and it's really quite confusing. I finally just gave up and went that route.

Trace

This map shows the states that will honor a CCW from California. If you go back a page, you can enter the state of residence that issued your CCW and see which states will or will not honor it.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/travel/#

scott b

Love that Judge, never knew it existed, but I will be ordering one tomorrow. perfect little gun with lots of punch. Thanks for mentioning it, think I will get the stainless model....Scott

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
I teach self defense and Concealed permits for Idaho! The 12ga shotgun is the gun MOST turned on its owner!!!!! reason....barrel length! The new Kel Tec 12 round self defense is the one you want near you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! look it up.........give it a thought! Other than that RUN!!!!!!!!!!!

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Judge is great...........................................bad trigger and barrel length! Scatters 18ft at 7 ft away!

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
IF you are from CALIFORICATE give it up................you are never going to be able to get what the reast of us have..............so stop asking!! Move!!!!! Come up to Idaho where people live like people!!!!!!! Yes you can own guns...................................

porthole

Retired
S&W also has their own version of the Judge, with the capability to hold 6 rounds of .410, 45 Colt OR 45 ACP.

S&W also has their own version of the Judge, with the capability to hold 6 rounds of .410, 45 Colt OR 45 ACP.

Yes unfortunately the S&W version shoots 2 1/2 inch .410 shells only. I like having the 3" cylinder on the Judge. The Fedral 3" .410 carry 5 000 buckshot pellets. That extra pellet is important to me.

porthole

Retired
Why not one of the self defense rounds with the pellet disc combo?
Yes unfortunately the S&W version shoots 2 1/2 inch .410 shells only. I like having the 3" cylinder on the Judge. The Fedral 3" .410 carry 5 000 buckshot pellets. That extra pellet is important to me.

Although, an extra shell will carry even more pellets.

Why not one of the self defense rounds with the pellet disc combo?

Although, an extra shell will carry even more pellets.

That is an excellent shell. Now that Winchester makes them in the 3" load I have bought mine. The 3" shell has 4 penetrating discs vice 3 and 16 coated pellets. It is even better than my 000 Buckshot. Now my Judge carries 20 discs and 80 pellets vice 16 and 64 in the S&W. The ultimate in carrying.