Questions about Fireplaces

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
Thinking about retrofitting a fireplace to our 2006 Landmark (or maybe buying a new rig :p).

Does anyone know what the watts and BTU are on the factory installed fireplaces?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Julie, look in the circuit breaker panel. There should be a breaker in there for a fireplace. I think that it might be pre-wired for one. Not sure as to your question about watts and amps. I have read that they do put off good heat.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
my 3055 has the fireplace and I believe it is 1500 watts It will knock the chill of the living section quite nicely

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
More than likely there is an outlet under the desk where the fp goes. There was on my Elk Ridge. I bought my fp at Lowes and it slid right in. would post model and other info but 5th wheel is in storage for the winter:(

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Julie - contact Dick Hill, he just put one in their Big Horn. We saw it at the SC rally and it looks likes it came in the unit.

Birchwood

We installed a 1500 watt Dimplex fireplace in our 09 Pinehurst.I found the correct
size ($800)that fit with only the removal of the cupboard doors and the shelf.
The only problem was there was no designated plugin for the fireplace
even though it was designated on the electrical panel.Had to run a 12 gauge
wire through the back of the cupboard and install an outlet behind the fireplace.
I used a metal clad wire as its exposed in the cuboard and it has to go in and out
with the slide.

hillsonwheels

Things that make one go hummmmmmmm! :confused: Had our Bighorn in for a "well baby" check up and asked the service writer at Campers Inn in Leesburg, FL to give me an estimate on running a dedicated circuit for the "Hillbilly" installed fireplace. Was told there was no room in the breaker box for another circuit. Huh? :eek: Would think that even tho we opted out on getting the fireplace installed when built that there would be room in the box for additional circuits. Even talked to Dave Jones (Heartland guy) at Goshen in June and he thought it might even be wired "just in case". Turned out not be the case. That's why I asked about running a new circuit!

Sure would like for someone with knowledge in this area to weigh in on that one. No room at the inn??????????? :eek:

Though we made light of a fireplace when buying and opted to get two airconditioners, it didn't take too many nights of cool weather camping to realize that we had erred. :eek:

As to the original question............Will try to find out the fireplace wattage and amperage draw tomorrow and post later.

Dick

ps....upon rereading the post.............buy a new rig........there's no room in the breaker box!!!!!!!!!!yuk yuk yuk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Hey Dick - just run a drop cord out the window and plug it in HillBilly style (haha).

danemayer

Ask the tech to wire the dedicated outlet to the bedroom A/C circuit breaker. As long as you don't use that outlet in the summer while running the A/C, you'll be fine.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Thinking about retrofitting a fireplace to our 2006 Landmark (or maybe buying a new rig :p).

Does anyone know what the watts and BTU are on the factory installed fireplaces?

I'd definitely just go with buying a new rig;).

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Things that make one go hummmmmmmm! :confused: Had our Bighorn in for a "well baby" check up and asked the service writer at Campers Inn in Leesburg, FL to give me an estimate on running a dedicated circuit for the "Hillbilly" installed fireplace. Was told there was no room in the breaker box for another circuit. Huh? :eek: Would think that even tho we opted out on getting the fireplace installed when built that there would be room in the box for additional circuits. Even talked to Dave Jones (Heartland guy) at Goshen in June and he thought it might even be wired "just in case". Turned out not be the case. That's why I asked about running a new circuit!

Sure would like for someone with knowledge in this area to weigh in on that one. No room at the inn??????????? :eek:

Though we made light of a fireplace when buying and opted to get two airconditioners, it didn't take too many nights of cool weather camping to realize that we had erred. :eek:

As to the original question............Will try to find out the fireplace wattage and amperage draw tomorrow and post later.

Dick

ps....upon rereading the post.............buy a new rig........there's no room in the breaker box!!!!!!!!!!yuk yuk yuk

We have 2 A/C's and a FP in our 50 amp BH. No problem.
We weren't told it was either/ or, with the 2nd AC vs. the FP. I would think it could be done fairly easily. Trace​

Last edited:

Rickhansen

........give me an estimate on running a dedicated circuit for the "Hillbilly" installed fireplace. Was told there was no room in the breaker box for another circuit. Huh?.......

I doubt your panel is full.

Sorry for the poor picture. If you can see it, my panel now has no open breaker slots, as I recently added two, double-pole breakers (four 15A circuits) on the far right (not yet labeled). If you have available locations, there will be a plastic knock-out in place of one or more double-pole breaker modules. (You can also see one of the new outlets I've added right next to the steps and vacuum cleaner hose connection.)

IMG_20111119_072332.jpg

In our BH circuit panel, there were two open breaker locations from the factory that both fit double-pole breakers, for a total of four spare circuits capacity available. You'll have to look to verify if open spaces are available in your panel.

I recently installed two double 15 amp breakers (Cutler-Hammer type BRD breakers, about $8 each), and wired 3 new dedicated 15 amp circuits with one outlet on each. I installed one outlet in the bedroom, one in the wall adjacent to the breaker panel, and one in the living room. These breakers are available with one 20 amp and one 15 amp breaker in the module as well, for a few dollars more. I didn't feel that I needed 20 amp circuits, so opted to save a few dollars. I did run #12 wire so that the wiring is capable of 20 amps if was to up-size the breakers later. I have one 15 amp breaker unused remaining in the panel at this point.

I also was able to do a little playing and make sure the circuits I added were on the least loaded hot-leg to minimize the likelihood of tripping the main breakers under "normal" use.

The hard part was running the wire and cutting in the outlets. Doing it myself, all three took about 10 hours.

A 1500 watt load (like most space heaters and the Dimplex fireplace) draws 12.5 amps ( watts / volts = amps ).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
Thanks for the input.
If we install the fireplace it will go in the space under the desk. Will have to move Roxie's crate. Don't know to where???
There is an outlet under the desk already that we run a 1500 watt electric heater on with no problems. Will have to check and see if it is a dedicated outlet.
Still wondering if it's worth it. If my little heater is 1500 watt and the fireplace is 1500 watt, there isn't going to be any difference in the heat, is there?
I know, it's "purtie", but Roxie'll have to give up her space. . .
BTW, I have seen Terry and Renee's (trdeal) fireplace and that was an excellent job!!!!! They have a picture on the forum, if you want to see it.

Rickhansen

There is an outlet under the desk already that we run a 1500 watt electric heater on with no problems. Will have to check and see if it is a dedicated outlet.
Still wondering if it's worth it. If my little heater is 1500 watt and the fireplace is 1500 watt, there isn't going to be any difference in the heat, is there?

1500 Watts is 1500 Watts. Electric heaters are 100% efficient, so the heat output will be the same. The only difference is the look and how they distribute the heat Radiant, fan, etc.).