• Yes- TPMS on the truck and RV

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Yes- TPTMS on the truck and RV

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • No- Can't afford it

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • No- But I'm saving money for it.

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • No- It's a waste of moneny in my opinion.

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

DW_Gray

I'd like to read some recent personal experiences of those who have Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) and the Tire Pressure Temperature Monitoring Systems (TPTMS). Did you have one model and switch to another? Have you experienced a real difference between the two models?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I use the TST system, which monitors both temperature and pressure, only on the RV. It requires metal valve stems and the ones on the truck are rubber. When I need to replace the tires, I'll get metal stems installed and purchase the sensors for them. When the rig is on the seasonal site, or in storage, I remove the sensor caps to preserve the internal batteries.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
The ones I've been looking at do both and I will have one before towing again. On the way to our rally this fall I unknowingly got a hole in the rear drivers side trailer tire. The fellow following me pulled out and alerted me and I pulled over while air was still coming out. this got me thinking, How many times have blow outs or "China bombs" been blamed simply because as the driver you had no idea you had a flat and drove until the tire comes apart?

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I use the TST system, which monitors both temperature and pressure, only on the RV. It requires metal valve stems and the ones on the truck are rubber. When I need to replace the tires, I'll get metal stems installed and purchase the sensors for them. When the rig is on the seasonal site, or in storage, I remove the sensor caps to preserve the internal batteries.

Ditto here...right down to removing the sensors!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have had both and I think I like the one with the temp sensor. Not that the actual temp is important to me, but what I keep an eye on is a tire that may be much hotter than the others. The increase in temp might indicate a problem in. That position.
I have them on all tires. Well except the spares.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ditto what Dave said. I have the TPS for the same reasons. I haven't removed the sensors to preserve battery life though. The system is over a year old and the batteries are still transmitting. I've got spare batteries ready when needed. CR1632

JohnDar

Ditto what Dave said. I have the TPS for the same reasons. I haven't removed the sensors to preserve battery life though. The system is over a year old and the batteries are still transmitting. I've got spare batteries ready when needed. CR1632
I've got the "510" set with the non-user replaceable batteries.

Vtxkid

I have the TST RV507 sensors on my RV which displays both pressure and temps... That system saved my RV from serious damage going down I-95 a couple of weeks ago. Picked up a metal object in my right rear RV tire and the monitor alarmed stating I was losing air fast. Was able to get to a rest stop one mile ahead and change the tire myself and be back on the road 20 minutes later.
I want to get the TPM sensors for my dually but hear thats a little tricky so I have heard that TST is working on a sensor that goes into the tires and attaches to the rims and can be used in conjuction with the valve stem sensors and uses the same monitor. If so, thats the direction I will be going.

JohnDar

I have the TST RV507 sensors on my RV which displays both pressure and temps... That system saved my RV from serious damage going down I-95 a couple of weeks ago. Picked up a metal object in my right rear RV tire and the monitor alarmed stating I was losing air fast. Was able to get to a rest stop one mile ahead and change the tire myself and be back on the road 20 minutes later.
I want to get the TPM sensors for my dually but hear thats a little tricky so I have heard that TST is working on a sensor that goes into the tires and attaches to the rims and can be used in conjuction with the valve stem sensors and uses the same monitor. If so, thats the direction I will be going.

Only drawback to an internal sensor for duallies is when you rotate your tires. Unless all 7 have the internal sensor on them. Where did you hear about that?

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Here ya go John. I read the same thing last week!

http://www.tsttruck.com/Product_List.html

(We will soon be offering internal sensors that will work with our 507 system monitor, as well as, our user replaceable battery external sensors!)

Question is: How will this affect the factory installed system on the truck? Does anyone know?

jnbhobe

I have had the TST510 system for three years now and used it on two different trucks. On my 2011 F-350 the factory TPMS system has the sensors as part of the valve stem so I was not able to put on steel stems, It has worked well for a year now although I do remove them from the truck and trailer in the winter.. I also had a tire go bad in Dover, Delaware this summer. I lost the tread on a G-614 tire, it never lost air pressure but can do a lot of damage. I was lucky and seen it right away, so always check your tires every time you stop even with a TPMS.

porthole

Retired

John, I ran the sensors on the GMC with rubber valve stems with no problems. The stems on the truck tires are a bit more robust then standard automotive stems.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I also ran the monitors on the high pressure hybrid rubber stems..................one did fail. . Changed all the valve stems after that.
I was warned but didn't listen. The Pressure Pro did warn me of the leak.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

John, I ran the sensors on the GMC with rubber valve stems with no problems. The stems on the truck tires are a bit more robust then standard automotive stems.

I'll take your word for that, Duane. But whenever I check the pressure or have to add air, they're like overcooked spaghetti. A royal PITA.

Manzan

One question I have not seen addressed is whether you have to remove the monitors when you check air pressure or add air? Easy to do it?

JohnDar

One question I have not seen addressed is whether you have to remove the monitors when you check air pressure or add air? Easy to do it?

Unless there's something new out there, you have to remove the sensor heads to inflate the tires. With the TST, they have a special wrench that slips under the head to engage it and unscrew it. Not really all that difficult on the trailer, but it could be a royal PITA on my truck if they were on the duallies. The inner stems would be too short to reach unless I extended them out through the holes on the outer tires. And the stems on the outer tires face in, so they'd have to be changed to something with a bend in it.

Think I'll just stick with keeping an eye and a blade pressure gage on them. I do put the TST on the trailer, though.

Manzan

John, thanks for the reply, that is what I had figured. Replacing my trailer tires very soon and will have metal valve stems put in.

PUG

Pug
I purchased the TST TPTMS system a couple of years ago. It works very well and let's me know if there are any problems temperature and or pressure. TST sensors screw onto the valve stem and that alone on a single tire is easy enough. Putting them on dualies is another thing though. It is hard to get the sensors on dualies due to working area inside the tire area. You also have to put longer metal stems on the inside tires. A real pain in the arse. I seen that TST is coming out with inside mount sensors. That would be really nice. You would only have to change the coding when rotating tires and adding air would be easy where you don't have to remove the sensors.