Water heater switchover

JudyT

I have a 2011 BC 3355 RL. The need to go outside to switch the hot water heater to propane needs rethinking. In the event of the loss of shore power, having to go outside during inclement weather is not user friendly. There should be a switch inside the coach near the electric hot water tank switch.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unless you've got something radically different than most, you should not have to go outside to switch the water heater to propane. On the face of the water heater, you should have a black switch. That's only for electric operation. Once you put it in the ON position, you don't have to ever change it, regardless of propane or electric. Inside the coach, you should have a red light switch (lower left corner of Master Control photo) that turns on the 120V electric for the water heater. And on your tank monitor panel, there should be a small red rocker switch with an LED light next to it that says HEATER. That switch turns on the propane. If the little LED is lit, the burner is operating. You can run the water heater on electric and propane, simultaneously should you want faster recovery. If you have switches like my photos, then what I've said will work for you. Just be sure your water heater is full before initially turning on the 120V switch or you'll burn out the element in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

JudyT

Thanks John and what you show in your pics make perfect sense. However, the engineer who designed this coach must have taken a break and forgot to do the sensible thing. My propane switch is outside in the shore hookup area next to the grey water and black water tank valves. I have to flip a switch labeled "bypass" to switch to LP. Every other coach I have owned had the switches inside like you show. In storm force winds, which I experience often, this configuration is not user friendly. Hopefully, heartland will do a rethink on this.

JohnDar

Thanks John and what you show in your pics make perfect sense. However, the engineer who designed this coach must have taken a break and forgot to do the sensible thing. My propane switch is outside in the shore hookup area next to the grey water and black water tank valves. I have to flip a switch labeled "bypass" to switch to LP. Every other coach I have owned had the switches inside like you show. In storm force winds, which I experience often, this configuration is not user friendly. Hopefully, heartland will do a rethink on this.

That's a new one on me. Definitely not a "better idea." But, with just a little wiring skill, you could probably extend the wires to reach INSIDE the coach, near your monitor panel, and remount the switch.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

The only bypass "switch" I've ever seen in the Universal Docking Station is the one to completely bypass the Hot Water Heater and is normally only used when winterizing. Please post pictures so we can see what you're referring to.

GOTTOYS

There are two electric switches for your water heater. One is very small, it's a red service disconnect and has a wire clip through it that you need to remove to turn it on. It's located on the lower left hand side of the water heater inside the actual water heater compartment. The other is a standard light switch but it is red and lights up. It's located inside your control panel near the kitchen. This is the panel your slide out switch, tank level indicators and some light switches are. Inside the same compartment on the lower right hand corner of the tank level indicator panel is another small red switch. This is the on off switch for the gas igniter for the water tank. When this is on there will also be a red indicator light next to it. This is what you need to switch on to make the water heater run on gas. Nothing else. The small lever marked "bypass" in your outside control compartment is a water heater bypass valve control that is used only for winterizing...turning it to bypass will shut the normal water flow off to the water heater so you can drain it for Winter storage...Don

JohnDar

There are two electric switches for your water heater. One is very small, it's a red service disconnect and has a wire clip through it that you need to remove to turn it on. It's located on the lower left hand side of the water heater inside the actual water heater compartment. The other is a standard light switch but it is red and lights up. It's located inside your control panel near the kitchen. This is the panel your slide out switch, tank level indicators and some light switches are. Inside the same compartment on the lower right hand corner of the tank level indicator panel is another small red switch. This is the on off switch for the gas igniter for the water tank. When this is on there will also be a red indicator light next to it. This is what you need to switch on to make the water heater run on gas. Nothing else. The small lever marked "bypass" in your outside control compartment is a water heater bypass valve control that is used only for winterizing...turning it to bypass will shut the normal water flow off to the water heater so you can drain it for Winter storage...Don

My thoughts exactly, hence the posting of the photos. But she says that she's familiar with the "standard" arrangement and her's is now different. Photos would help.

JudyT

Thanks fellas, I appreciate you info. It is interesting that I do not have a single piece of paper in my owners kit that says this. All paperwork shows the side-by-side switches that posters have mentioned. When I did my walk- through when I purchased the rig I was told the "heater" switch on the control panel is to heat the holding tanks during frigid conditions. I was then shown the bypass valve and specifically told that is how to turn on the hot water using LP. I mentioned at the time how inconvenient that is during one of our hurricane force winds accompanied by horizontal rain.

I shall test the switch on the control panel and what heats up, water heater or belly tanks. Then I shall educate the service staff where I purchased my coach.

Thanks again for your help.

GOTTOYS

I don't believe there are any Heartland trailers with tank heaters. You should hear a couple clicks followed by by a slight roaring sound after the gas burner on the water heater lights. Of course the water in the heater will need to be somewhat cold for it to come on. If you do lose your electric, don't panic the water heater will hold hot water easily overnight. We shouldn't be the ones to educate the salespeople should we?..Don

danemayer

I don't believe there are any Heartland trailers with tank heaters.
Our Rushmore has tank heaters which were available as an option on Landmarks. Don't know about other models. On 2012s the new Yeti option includes tank heaters.

There's an extra light switch in the control panel area to turn on the tank heaters.

danemayer

I was then shown the bypass valve and specifically told that is how to turn on the hot water using LP.
You can probably disregard everything this person told you during the walk-thru.