F450 Ford Duelly

Sandpirate69

I'm looking to purchase an F450. I a few questions,maybe someone here can help me. If your 450 has a 4<30 rear end, what's your fuel mileage loaded & unloaded? Is the cab a little wider than the f350. Any help would really be appreciated. I'm not sure if this is the place to post this.
thx
ivan

jnbhobe

Well an F-450 has the same cab as all other Superdutys, as far as the 4.30 gears I had them in an f-350 and towing mileage was 9 to 10 mpg and 14 to 15 mpg unloaded, with a new 6.7 diesel I wouldn't want more gear than 4.10's

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Towing in the mountains I get 9-9.5MPG, On a 2500 mile trip leaving the mountains to more flat ground and back I was right at 10MPG so I'm guessing if you don't have to deal with a lot of grades you may get a little better. Living where we do I bought the 450 for the 4:30 gears and am glad I have them. Can't help with around town driving.

Last edited:

shelsay

We probably average 10.3-10.5 pulling our Landmark. We have gotten as high as 12.9 pulling flat in ideal conditions. We don't drive enought empty to know mileage, but would guess it's probably around 15. Love this truck--even the DW says it's great.

Dave

mmomega

AnyTimer
The front axle is wider on the 450 giving it a smaller turn radius than the 350. Also the 450's have the larger fender flares at the front due to this. Set the 2 side by side and this is basically how to tell them apart atheistically. 450 also only come with 4:30s in the rear. 350 duallys have 3:73. 250s and 350 SRW have 3:31 or 3:55's with e-locker (usually).

Sandpirate69

Im considering the chevy 3500, but no.t a Dodge. Not trying to offend the Dodge camp. I know four guys who own them. They like the ride but have had tranny problems. I pull my rv with a chevy, but looking for a duelly and a bit newer than mine. I'm not buying new, so i should have plenty of options.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We bought a new Dodge 3500 DRW about a year ago and have had no tranny problems at all. Not the most powerful but love the way it tows.

CabinetmakerII

We have an 2011 F-450 with 4:30 gears with approx 17K miles on it. Empty we get 13-14 MPG and 9-10 MPG towing our Cyclone 3800. This is actual MPG logged and calculated. The on-board computer always reads a bit better than actual. We had an F-350 prior to this purchase. It towed our TT quite well. That said, I have towed our 3800 with 2 other F-350s SRW and a Chevy 3500 DRW while trouble shooting a "chucking" issue. After making these head to head compairsons I am VERY glad to have the F-450. Living in Idaho we have ample opportunity to pull big hills. On the uphill pull I leave the others in the dust, and really love the new 6 speed auto-tranny on the downhill side to hold the load back without getting on the breaks.

Delaine and Lindy

I don't and haven't owned a Ford but I'm on many sites, however from what I have read the 2011 F 450 are doing much better on fuel mileage. Keep in mind Ford downgraded the F 450, no longer have the 4.88 rear gear and the 19.5" tires are no longer available and the fuel issue was the reason. I look at peoples posted fuel mileage and wonder were they are driving, terrain elevations etc. codycarver example is what I'm seeing is and seems to be the norm. I really believe with the HP & Torq of the F 450 the 4.30 rear gear is the best option. We have the GM 3.73 and wouldn't want any other gear. Our fuel mileage is better than any 3500HD we have owned. Considering the weight and the size and the emissions systems on the Big 3 Trucks the mileage is not bad. Fuel mileage is all over the board, some is believable and some aren't. There are so many variables to consider.. Either of the Big 3 do a good job its really just a choice. Good Luck to all on your choice. Happy Trails....

mmomega

AnyTimer
You would have to have some major major weight to NEED a 450. Like a 24,000lb RV which would be way above anything Heartland makes. In some cases you could tow 2 5th wheels with this much truck.
Like it's little brother the F350 Dually, it shares the same Dana80 rear axle rated at 9,000lbs but it houses a 4:30 gear instead of the 3:73.

All 3, and I repeat ALL 3 of the 350/3500 series duallys are more than capable of towing any of Heartlands trailers. Each one will have it's own quirks but what doesn't?

I did research these trucks from 2009 when Ford debuted them at the Texas State Fair and I kept towing with the other F350 in my sig. The trucks I test drove 2 weeks prior to purchasing my new truck were the 2011 F350 SRW, DRW, F450 King Ranch's - 2011 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali and the 2011 Ram 3500HD DRW Laramie Longhorn. I settled on Ford and that I would probably never fully utilize the F450..........that being said I do wish my 350 had the wider track front end and some 19.5" Alcoa wheels.