New Wireless Printer

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Since we've both got identical laptop's we have been considering getting a wireless printer to replace the HP 832 we were using in the rig. Tired of having to switch the USB cable back and forth, or stretching it across the living room. So I picked up a HP 5514 today from Staples, using over $110 of rewards points for it. Sweet little 3 in 1 printer and getting it connected to both our cable router system and the MiFi was a snap. I had considered the HP 6510, but the reviews had a lot of negatives on getting it to connect. The 5514 was rated better and cost less.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
We just picked up our second Cannon. We needed a fax for the trailer like we have at home. All in one everything.

You will like the wireless part. Life is just getting more simpler everyday. :eek:

JohnDar

As long as it all works! Of course they still haven't found a way to lower Ink Cost.

It's the cost of convenience. But, using the Staples Rewards program and bringing back our empty cartridges, we almost got the printer for free. And their HP cartridges are about the same price as WalMart. I tried refilled cartridges once. Only once. Half the price and half the life.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We just picked up our second Cannon. We needed a fax for the trailer like we have at home.

That sounds like a good deal. A fax machine in your trailer. Where do you keep the land line. I will bet that is one long roll of phone cable. Wireless Fax?? Who would have thunk it. :p

BC

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
That sounds like a good deal. A fax machine in your trailer. Where do you keep the land line. I will bet that is one long roll of phone cable. Wireless Fax?? Who would have thunk it. :p

BC

Bob, that is what I was thinking, but I guess they could hook it up to a cellphone. Not sure how that would work. Maybe a idea since ours is also a 3 in 1.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader

BC

Faxing is just about a dead mode but there are still some things that cant be scanned and emailed mainly because of the recipient . Technology takes care of the long wire.( I hope).

mmomega

AnyTimer
Thinking back I never had problems with any of my HP printers. Out of everything they make, their printers are really good even the least expensive ones. I strayed away about 4 years ago and went with a Canon wireless and it was the biggest pain to set-up the wireless function. Something with having to have a USB drive then copying information from a Windows computer already set up on the wireless network, a program to copy the settings to your thumb drive, then plug it into the printer, I give up!!! ... on top of that the ink. It's almost as cheap to buy a new printer rather than replace all of the ink at the same time.

So now I am getting back into the market for a wireless printer and I am definitely looking towards HP and one with AirPrint functionality. So I can print directly from the iPhone or iPad if I should want to.

JohnDar, any idea if your printer has this function, if so or not how good has the printer been overall?

jbeletti

Off the OP's topic but others mentioned faxing from the RV. I don't use it often, but I have a dedicated fax number from fax.com. I can receive faxes to my number and they appear in my email inbox as PDFs. I can fax a document to any fax number by emailing it to their fax. It gets routed through fax.com who in turn get it faxed to the recipient. Attachments show up as faxed pages. Works well. I thin kit costs about $100 per year for the low level of service I have. Not cheap, but real handy, especially if your printer can scan too. Then anything you can create or can scan, can be faxed. I use my for work, so my fee is covered by my employer.

Jim

I have the HP B210 three in one series printer.
As long as the printer is on I can print to it from my i-phone.
Have had it for about a year and so far no problems, great machine.

jbeletti

I've had bad luck with my last HP printer. The ADF (automatic document feeder) quit on me, then the paper tray broke. The latter was my fault for not removing it before travel. The 2 little plastic hooks on the end of the tray is the week point of design on the Office Jet 4500 when stored in a manner that puts anything up against the tray. In my case, a desk chair. Again, my bad.

I ordered an HP mobile printer (tiny) and a NeatReceipts mobile scanner. The printer does Bluetooth and USB. Maybe I can print from my iPhone, iPad and laptop. We will see in a few days.

Jim

JohnDar

mmomega; So now I am getting back into the market for a wireless printer and I am definitely looking towards HP and one with AirPrint functionality. So I can print directly from the iPhone or iPad if I should want to. JohnDar said:
It's got wireless and e-print functionality, so you should be able to print from just about anything. We've only had it for 24 hours, so I can't give a real user review, but getting it to connect to both laptops and our cable and MiFi wireless systems was simple. Print quality on some test documents is excellent, including the photo I used on plain paper. And it has automatic double side printing selectable, too, which tested quite well. It does not have automatic document feed and the paper is put on a tray, not in a cassette. It appears that you have to remove the paper to close the tray up for storage/transport. No big deal, actually. It uses four 564 style ink cartridges. If you look it up on Staples.com, you can read some reviews on it and get more info.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Let us know how the neatreceipts scanner works. I'm really tired of all these pieces of paper floating around, especially during trips. I use Macs, so you input will really help.

Kristy