Security of Carryout Satellite Antenna

57chevyconvt

Just purchased a new Wineguard Carryout Satellite Antenna at the recommendation of JayC at the Canton, TX rally. The question of how to secure the Antenna so that someone will not carry it away when we are not at RV has risen in our household. Any suggestions from those that use this type of Antenna?

hoefler

There is a ring welded to the base you can put a cable or chain through to secure to an unmovable object. I have been using one for 3 years now and have never had any issue yet, but time will tell. I have been more worried about a child on a bicycle, people walking in the dark, or a vehicle hitting it. Some times I have to get it close to the road or path to get a window in the trees. I carry drive way reflectors to help make it more visible, been lucky so far.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We've had ours over a year without a problem. Starting to see a lot more Carryouts in the parks that we've been in.

RoadJunkie

Jim, the base of the Wineguard unit is metal and there is a hole provided for mounting the antenna on the ladder mount. I have considered attaching a small (even 1/4") braided steel cable at this point to secure the unit to the rig. Attaching the cable would be at your own imagination. I don't think it takes much to deter a thief or vandal.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We have ours on the ladder mount. Have not ever had the need to remove it yet. I dont think anyone could climb up the ladder without us knowing it. But I did install the bicycle cable to the ladder from the dome.

DougS

Doug S
I use the ladder mount. A small bicycle cable and a pad lock fit nicely in a channel in the ladder bracket. The yellow padlock and most of the cable can not be seen from the ground. I have only had to take it off the ladder mount once. Could it still be taken, sure, but they would have to make a lot of noise.

talley

Jim, I bought one at Camping World when we were at the South Carolina Rally two weeks ago. I also bought the bracket for the ladder mount. I have it mounted and pass the cable thru a window. Have not had the time to run the cable thru the underbelly yet. I also bought a small plastic coated cable and have it padlocked. Like the other posts point out. It is not likely that someone will climb the ladder and disconnect what has to be to carry off the antenna. I plan to use a cable to secure it when I have to place it on the ground. Might have to do that tomorrow as it is not connecting with satellite tonight. Diane and I have just finished setting up the BH and will use cable tv (may not even need the satellite while here).

We are at Williamsburg, Va and will leave Monday for Biltmore at Ashville, NC. Has been a great trip and good weather, so far.

Jerry

Last edited:

57chevyconvt

Jerry - glad to hear you folks are having good weather and a great time. We bought our CarryOut from Tweety's in San Antonio. At the moment I don't plan to use the ladder mount on concern for tree that might obscure the signal. Sounds like the folks that have the CarryOut mounted to a ladder have not experienced
any signal difficulty. Might consider the ladder mount when we return from Florida in January. The security issue came to mind as we considered the area in Florida that is known for thefts. As a result of my concern, I purchased a small steel plastic coated cable and tie-wrapped the three cables together so that I could place a lock at the CarryOut unit as suggested by some of the forum buddies.

Jim

cashb

When we ordered our Sundance, we had them install the Toy Lock. It works perfectly for securing the Carryout. On occasion I have extended the length with an additional bicycle cable. No problems as of yet.

Bob&Patty

Jerry, I did run the cables though the underbelly also. It did take some time....but can be done. You need an old cable to pull it through the rear cap. Some grease on the cables helps getting past the wood blocks and the tight corner at the roof area. The plate that comes with the ladder mount works good....but you might have to trim it to make it fit on the cap. The 12V switch was easy to install in the entry cupboard. There was a empty fuse in the fuse panel, so I used it for the 12V power for the switch. I installed a 5 amp fuse. If you need more info send me your phone # in a PM.

funntheson

Jerry, I did run the cables though the underbelly also. It did take some time....but can be done. You need an old cable to pull it through the rear cap. Some grease on the cables helps getting past the wood blocks and the tight corner at the roof area. The plate that comes with the ladder mount works good....but you might have to trim it to make it fit on the cap. The 12V switch was easy to install in the entry cupboard. There was a empty fuse in the fuse panel, so I used it for the 12V power for the switch. I installed a 5 amp fuse. If you need more info send me your phone # in a PM.

Is this because your rig was not prewired for satellite?

Larry

pegmikef

I use a heavy duty security cable and padlock I bought from Lowes to secure my Tailgater carry out. The cable is thirty feet which so far has let me always find an open area for it to see the sattelites. I have a TT so I just secure it to the tongue.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
A friend of ours puts thiers in the middle of the glide out roof where it can't be seen. Uses a ladder and then puts it away.

Bob&Patty

Larry, no, its because I did not want cables hanging out everywhere. With the cables and 12V wires running in the underbelly there is no setup time involved. Hook to shore power, turn on the 12V switch....VOILA...we have TV.

BTW, when you buy the ladder mount kit. It comes with a 12V wire with a cigar liter end that you can use to to activate the dome just in case you have to move it from the ladder mount.