Need Advice on trailer brake setting.

MaryandSteve

Past Indiana Chapter Leader (Founding)
Since We are new to all this! I Would like to know what i should set the electric brake controller in the truck on when towing our 5vr. When I weighed it, the empty weight was 12925. (Just a little more than the brochure said.) The whole thing truck and 5vr weighed in at 21853. I had it set on 4.5 and no problems till the quick light. then set it on 8.5 hit the brakes and the trailer grabbed hard. Any suggestions?

mikeandconnie

My rig weight is about 16000 and I run 5.5 on my 2011 Chevy and never know thiers a 5vr behind me. I read this suggestion on a past thread and have about 9000 miles towing with it.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Every rig is different. You need to "tune" the controller for your particular combination. Drive about 25 mph on dry level pavement. Using the manual control on the brake controller, apply the trailer brakes only. Adjust the gain until the brakes just lock up, then back it off slightly.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Every rig is different. You need to "tune" the controller for your particular combination. Drive about 25 mph on dry level pavement. Using the manual control on the brake controller, apply the trailer brakes only. Adjust the gain until the brakes just lock up, then back it off slightly.

Agree. I usually set mine at 5.5 for the BH, but had to run it at 6.5 when I pulled my sister's considerably lighter 5th wheel.

jnbhobe

Everyone will have a little different setting to reach your comfort level. I set mine at 5.5 for my rig that weighs about 15K, but I have disc brakes witch changes everything because they stop so much better than electric brakes.