Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer question

gjackson

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get clothes to dry without wrinkling. It doesn't matter with whites or towels but when it comes to jeans or hanging clothes, I'd like to be able to pull them out without their looking like I've jumped up and down on them for an hour. Can any of you give me a clue as to what I might be doing wrong?:(
Thanks,
Sue

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
My DW said it is hard to solve the wrinkle issue. You have to find the best dryer number - you cannot dry too long because she said that is when clothes wrinkle. And she agrees jeans are the hardest to dry and not have them super wrinkled. I know some times she pulls jeans out and hangs them up to finish drying. All said, DW also made it clear she would not give up her Splendide combo unit. She wanted the stackable, but they would not fit. Oh, DW just mentioned to be sure not to over load the unit. I do not mess with it. The only thing she let me do with the unit was winterize it, and she helped to make sure it was done correctly. Good luck with solving the problem.

danemayer

I washed clothes last night: 2 longsleeve knit shirts, 1 shortsleeve knit shirt. 1 Jeans. 1 Shorts. Underwear and socks. Dried without any appreciable wrinkles. Larger loads might have a problem.

gjackson

I washed clothes last night: 2 longsleeve knit shirts, 1 shortsleeve knit shirt. 1 Jeans. 1 Shorts. Underwear and socks. Dried without any appreciable wrinkles. Larger loads might have a problem.

Interesting . . . I would consider that a large load. May I ask how long you dried it and what number? I tried drying two pair of jeans and they came out awful. I usually put them on stretchers, but we are wintering in higher humidity and it takes forever to dry.

danemayer

It was a pretty large load, at least for the washer. The laundry came out of the dryer a bit wetter than I expected; I thought about putting it back in the washer to run an extra spin cycle but didn't. I set the timer to 170 and checked after about 2 1/2 hours. The clothes were dry and came out at that point, except for the jeans. I left them in for another 15 minutes or so to make sure they were completely dry.

I use the high heat setting (button in). When we first got the unit, it didn't dry very well at all. Turned out that one of the 2 heating elements wasn't working, so it was always on low heat. Since getting that fixed, it's been working well.

twohappycampers

I've just checked out the specs. Says it washes 15 lbs but dries 11 lbs. So you remove 4 lbs of wet clothes before it starts drying? :confused: I'm being facetious here, but have been looking long and hard at the different options, and just CAN'T come to a decision yet as to what to buy, or if we even will. I've done lots of research online about what people do to help with the wrinkling, and there are many ideas, all mostly sound like a great big pain in the butt and like they don't really do the trick anyway. Guess it depends on how much time you want to spend tending your laundry. And how much you hate :mad: ironing!

I have too much to say on this subject, and won't bore you all with it. BUT I would like some input from people who do own one of these combo units. I think the wrinkles result from the high-speed spin cycle. That, and the lack of room when tumbling dry. So, question: do some of the cycles spin at a lower rate, not squashing the clothes against the drum so much? Or would that then leave the clothes so damp that they'd take forever to dry?

I'm looking forward to reading what people have to say. I know this whole matter has been addressed quite a bit already on these forums, but ... maybe some new light?

I'm wondering how many have bought their machines but kinda regret the money they spent and still find themselves going to the laundromats some or much of the time. I'm on a permanent site and the park laundromat is just a few yards down the way.

I know I'm having a difficult time deciding, but if money were no object, I'd sure go for it. But it's very costly for our budget, and then after the cost of the machines, there's the additional hydro bill for the hot water and running the machines. If money were no object (oh, wait, have I already said that?) I'd get the washer/dryer and use it for lighter and smaller loads, and go over to the laundromat for jeans, sheets & towels.

Pardon my rambling, please. If anyone has anything to offer, I'd love to hear it.

Does anyone know of a product that would be good to use to clean the drums of the public washers & dryers before I use them? Something that would quickly clean and sanitize them? Does anyone here bother doing that?

Thanks again! and take good care! Lorna :)

caissiel

The DW says she has no wrinkle problems, only when to many clothes in she answered me. Been using the washer since 2005. Using Liquid Tide and Liquid Downy. use very little soap and rince.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
When we bought our little sticks n' bricks last year, the previous owner was an ex rv'er and was using a Splendide combo unit in the house and left it for us. He was single so I guess it was all he needed. We replaced that unit with a home sized pair and gave some thought to putting the combo in the Bighorn. Lin decided she would rather spend an hour or so at the laundromat once a week rather than several hours a week doing laundry in the rig. We sold the unit to a fellow Heartlander and I believe/hope they are happy with it.

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
I have a combo unit and love it. This is what I have learned.

Do not overload the washer. I do a load pretty much every day when living in the trailer for extended periods. Put it in after my shower in morning and its done by the time we want to take off.

Use a very good quality fabric softener. No bargain brands.

Use low heat when drying no matter what you are drying.

Jeans, well, they are the worst. I usually taken them out while still damp and "iron" them with my hands on the bed and hang to finish drying. Everything else comes out pretty good. Of course we are talking t-shirts and perma-pressed cotton :)

Zuey

Because it takes so much time to dry using the Splendide combo that we usually just wash our clothes in it but then take our wet clothes to the camp laundry and dry them there. This is much faster for use.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Now why didn't I think of that?! :p

I don't know why I have to teach you wimins how to do your jobs!! One of my other many skills (right up there with being a smart-***) is being able to iron my own clothes. We have a folding counter top ironing board tucked in the closet of the trailer. But, when we're "on site," out on the lakes, the fish don't care if my clothes are wrinkled and the wait staff in the restaurants seem to appreciate the wrinkles in the tips I leave :D

Maybe they'll invent botox for laundry use. Make your clothes "Hollywood Smooth."

Last edited by a moderator:

twohappycampers

I don't know why I have to teach you wimins how to do your jobs!! One of my other many skills (right up there with being a smart-***) is being able to iron my own clothes. We have a folding counter top ironing board tucked in the closet of the trailer. But, when we're "on site," out on the lakes, the fish don't care if my clothes are wrinkled and the wait staff in the restaurants seem to appreciate the wrinkles in the tips I leave :D

Maybe they'll invent botox for laundry use. Make your clothes "Hollywood Smooth."

That's how much you know! It's been done - it's called "Borax". HA HA!! But on a serious note, botox being a muscle relaxant, right? I've seen a product called Wrinkle Reducer or something like that. You spray it on your wrinkly clothes and tug the wrinkles out. Think I may have even tried it, didn't work worth a darn. :mad: Unless I dreamed it all. NO! NO! I don't mean I tried it on my face, before you make another smart-*** comment.

JohnDar

That's how much you know! It's been done - it's called "Borax". HA HA!! But on a serious note, botox being a muscle relaxant, right? I've seen a product called Wrinkle Reducer or something like that. You spray it on your wrinkly clothes and tug the wrinkles out. Think I may have even tried it, didn't work worth a darn. :mad: Unless I dreamed it all. NO! NO! I don't mean I tried it on my face, before you make another smart-*** comment.

I'm biting my tongue so hard I just might poison myself with my own venom :D

twohappycampers

I'm biting my tongue so hard I just might poison myself with my own venom :D

Oh, John, don't go doin' that - I'd really miss you! :(

Also, jbeletti, my apologies - I didn't realize that the use of that term for that part of the anatomy was a no-no. Won't happen again. BUT John said it first! And he's my mentor! :angel:

Last edited:

JohnDar

Oh, John, don't go doin' that - I'd really miss you! :(

Also, jbeletti, my apologies - I didn't realize that the use of that term for that part of the anatomy was a no-no. Won't happen again. BUT John said it first! And he's my mentor! :angel:

OH SURE, blame me for you getting in trouble. Man, reminds me of my two sisters.

porthole

Retired
What was suggested to us and we do - after the wash cycle remove the clothes, shake out and put in for the dry cycle. If you do this you will see most of the wrinkles are there before you start drying. The wash cycle has a 1200 rpm spin. That will give you the wrinkles. Also use a quality liquid fabric softner all the time, as this is supposed to help the clothes fall off the drum wile rotating.

Even doing all this we still get wrinkles, but I wouldn't give up the combo.