GFI Kicking OUt

The_Toads

Happy Thanksgiving to all,.
We are sitting out on the West Coast of Washington in sideways rain and winds heading upwards of 50-60 mph gusts. :angel:

We are doing fine, dry, warm and enjoying the scenery. The problem is the GFI in the bathroom has kicked out for the second time.
We have a 29 RKSA Elkridge and the GFI in the bathroom kicks off all of the outlets in the living room and kitchen. So I have to run and extension from the bedroom to the kitchen to run the coffee pot and any other electrical appliances. The Micro works as does the TV.

What I don't understand, is why is the GFI kicking out. How and/or where is it getting wet enough to go to ground????

Advice please,

Dean

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I wonder if the circuit is over loaded. Do you have more appliances running today than you normally do?

branson4020

Icantre Member
Outside and basement outlets are definitely also on that GFI. Its not due to an overload. That would trip the circuit breaker.

pegmikef

So I have to run and extension from the bedroom to the kitchen to run the coffee pot and any other electrical appliances.

Please be careful using an extension with appliances that have heating elements (e.g., coffee pot, skillet, toaster, etc.) unless it is a heavy duy extension (12 gauge) as they can overheat and start a fire before blowing a circuit breaker.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dean, the fridge is also on that GFI circuit. The Living room outlets shouldn't be on the GFI circuit but I can't guarantee that. Any outlets near the kitchen or bath fixtures should be.

I would check the pedestal's ground first. If that's good, it could be a loose wire in one of the other outlets following the GFI outlet. RV outlets are pretty weak design and are easy to damage when pushing the wire into the contacts.

Sideways rain could be getting into the reefer vent on the back side of the fridge (outer wall). IT's more likely to be a loose connection in an outlet or a weak GFI. It may be best to find a qualified electrician if you're not comfy poking around in the outlets.