Winter Weather

Westwind

Usually in the winter when we head to Florida we spend the first night in a Hotel since it's so cold I can talk DW into trying out the trailer but that was our 1 season (Warm) trailer. This year it will be interesting with our new 4 season trailer if I can talk her into staying overnight in a campground. I know we are going to have to do it early and during daylight ;).

jnbhobe

You should be able to make it to a fairly warm area in a days travel from RI down the coast since you are probably going down I-95.

lorax

We travel to Texas via I 81 from SE MA and in January there is usually snow in MD / VA but we have stayed at Candyland CG in Winchester, VA the first night. It's cold but you plug in and the heat works well. We go out to eat then head to Cleveland, TN the next night. Often we de-winterize there. The KOA has there water on and from there south things get mild.

Have a great trip. Be safe.
Ted

caissiel

We have driven south after christmas before and usualy stay in the RV all the time at night. No CG's as they are impossible to find in winter and usualy end up alone in the park compared to other public places. The coldest we have stayed was 0F in the last rest area in Maine and on down to Connecticut and then Southern Pensilvania and South Carelina is plenty warm. The furnace keeps us warm at night and charge the batteries while traveling. Don't run the furnace all night because our big furnace realy eats up the battery power. For us 84/81 has been more RV friendly then strait down 95. We use bottled water stored in the bathroom for the flush and add water once in the warmer climat like GA.

lorax

Bottled water in the bathroom. Great idea. We never thought of that. We use Wal-Mart and Rest Stops. We store our plants in the shower while traveling and they seem to do all right.
Thanks,
Ted

Westwind

Couple of ideas to throw out there, a friend always puts 2-3 gallons of windshield washer fluid, which doesn't freeze in his RV for the trip. Another bought an electric blanket, they stay in a campground and get a water/elec site, but don't connect to the water during the night because of temps.
We travel down to Florida the first week of February, we haven't had temps above 25 the last couple of years, one year 18 in Rocky Mount, NC so with our one season TT we just headed for hotels. This year we will probably do the same except for the second night since we always make it to Jacksonville, FL area and there are plenty of campgrounds in that area and much warmer temps.
I'm so used to I-95 that I'm reluctant to do I-81/I-84 South but we have come home that way and have stayed at
Candyland CC also. Two years ago we visited friends and stayed two nights, with no cable and a old TV that didn't
pick up HD we had a good time playing cards and listening to the radio. Something we don't do that often.

moose53

After leaving New York in Feburary last year, we attended the Camp Out in Myrtle Beach this fall and stored the Big Country there. It will be nice not to have to worry about salt, ice, snow or staying in a cold bed for the first few nights.