New 3685RL Entertainment System

tcfake613

I just ordered a 3685. It appears... from the photos I'm seeing... that Heartland has decided to go to Concertone systems from the Jensens they've been using recently. Does anyone have a fairly new unit that can confirm this? If so this is pretty disappointing. I will call the factory this week to confirm. I absolutely do not want a Concertone system and can't believe they are going to these from Jensen.

I may ask to have the system deleted completely so I can install my own system.

Another question I have... if the factory guys are reading this, is why do they not use the HDMI capabilities of the TVs they are installing? The Concertone system being installed in the new units does not even have an HDMI output so it needs to be connected to the TV with RCA jacks. The video quality using this type of hookup is extremely poor compared to HDMI.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hopefully the Concertone's have been improved. (On several forums, people refer to them as "Concertjunk".)
In an SOB I had several years ago, I had the Concertone unit replaced twice in 2 years, due to malfunction. (Total 3 units in 2 years!)
If you are able to, I would delete it and save money. Put your own in.
The Jensen is better, but I was disappointed that it does not have a subwoofer output. Trace

tcfake613

Hopefully the Concertone's have been improved. (On several forums, people refer to them as "Concertjunk".)
In an SOB I had several years ago, I had the Concertone unit replaced twice in 2 years, due to malfunction. (Total 3 units in 2 years!)
If you are able to, I would delete it and save money. Put your own in.
The Jensen is better, but I was disappointed that it does not have a subwoofer output. Trace

I agree Trace. The other thing I noticed is that it is NOT 5.1 surround sound. It appears they only install 4 speakers in the ceiling... no center channel and no sub. The Concertone unit they put in doesn't even have 5.1 outputs. The Landmark gets the upgraded Concertone with 5.1 surround sound and HDMI output... BUT not sure I want to upgrade to the "higher end" junk Concertone unit. My in-laws have Concertone in their Cedar Creek and it has never worked right.

It also appears I will have to request special wiring to be run when the unit is being built. I don't see any way I will be able to route cabling from the stereo area to the TV in a 3685.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
In our 2011 LM Key Largo, they put a Panasonic Entertainment system. If they have moved away from this system or one like it, they have made a big mistake in my view.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Isn't it kind of silly to even HAVE a 5.1 system if you have to sit behind the rear speakers? In the confined space of our rig, I know I can't really get any effect.

jlsabat

[Q I agree the system sucks.They give us a hdtv and not even a blu ray player how cheap can you get!! I just ordered a new 2012 gc as soon as i get it i will be removing the Jenson system.I hope the speaker wires are long enough to reach to my audio video receiver.The factory has know idea when it comes to electronics,I also like using hdmi cables.

UOTE=tcfake613;209398]I just ordered a 3685. It appears... from the photos I'm seeing... that Heartland has decided to go to Concertone systems from the Jensens they've been using recently. Does anyone have a fairly new unit that can confirm this? If so this is pretty disappointing. I will call the factory this week to confirm. I absolutely do not want a Concertone system and can't believe they are going to these from Jensen.

I may ask to have the system deleted completely so I can install my own system.

Another question I have... if the factory guys are reading this, is why do they not use the HDMI capabilities of the TVs they are installing? The Concertone system being installed in the new units does not even have an HDMI output so it needs to be connected to the TV with RCA jacks. The video quality using this type of hookup is extremely poor compared to HDMI.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We had a Concertone in a previous SOB. That system gave us big headaches! We pulled it out of the wall a few times trying to get it to work right! Couldn't get the stereo working so we bought a Bighorn! In the end it worked out perfect for us!

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We had a Concertone in a previous SOB. That system gave us big headaches! We pulled it out of the wall a few times trying to get it to work right! Couldn't get the stereo working so we bought a Bighorn! In the end it worked out perfect for us!

Buying a Bighorn is what we did also, but they switched gears and we got the subpar Jensen model.
The one we looked at when we ordered, had a Sharp system, which included 5.1 surround and a subwoofer.

I believe Jensen makes one with a surround and subwoofer, but it is not the one we got. Trace

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ok, with all this information, my entertainment went out sometime ago and I am wanting to install a new system.

What I would like is a 5.1 surround sound system with a Blue Ray/CD player. I don't need the speakers the ones I have are good enough for me. What have some of you replaced your system with? I don't need a radio as part of it, just a good player.

I am also looking for a DVD Recorder that I can record shows off the satellite so that we can play some of our favorite shows when we have no sat signal.

BC

tcfake613

OK... here's the deal. I talked to Mike from Heartland today. He was at the Louisville show. He was actaully in a 3685RL and Landmark Key Largo when I was speaking with him. The BigHorn 3685RL has this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_804ZX85/Concertone-ZX85.html?search=concertone

The Landmark has this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_804ZX800/Concertone-ZX800.html?search=concertone

They both have a Genesis label on the front panel. The units are apparently branded differently than Concertone but are the same units. Gee... I wonder why?

Anyway, the ZX800 in the Landmark has 5.1 surround sound with an HDMI output. The ZX 85 system in the BigHorn is NOT 5.1. They install four speakers on the ceiling... there is no center channel or subwoofer and no HDMI connection.

I can opt to upgrade my 3685 on order to the Landmark system. I assume this would cost me about the $300 difference. I'm not even sure they run an HDMI cable in the Landmark setup. I'll have to verify that. My other option would be to have them install the speakers and run cabling from the shelf to the TV cabinet and I would go purchase aftermarket components that are home quality.... like Pioneer or Denon or Marantz.

If I do this, how confident can I be that they will run the cabling properly? I would want an HDMI cable and an optical digital cable (To carry my TV sound back to the surround receiver) run between the TV and the surround receiver.

Has anyone had any experience with special (very specific) orders on a new unit?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I guess that I would want to verify that what you want is on the build sheet when you order your new rig.
I would then follow up with Heartland in a week or so and get it verified on that end.
When it comes in and if it's not what you ordered, don't accept it.

Peace
Dave

ChopperBill

We got the early "11" and it came with a Samsung surround sound receiver and a Sharp TV. Wish it had a Samsung TV as we have all Samsung components at home and it works out great with same remote. But, I guess I am a lot better off than you folks with the later models.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
We probably have the same TV and it is junk. Wish they would at least try and match the surround Sound and the TV.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
We looked at an early 2011 BH model today-new unit on dealers lot. It had the Panasonic player with Sharp TV but not 5.1. The brochure only claims to be a "Home Theater Surround Sound".

On an edit, I do see in the BH brochure where it states that the Home Theater is a Samsung unit.

tcfake613

We looked at an early 2011 BH model today-new unit on dealers lot. It had the Panasonic player with Sharp TV but not 5.1. The brochure only claims to be a "Home Theater Surround Sound".

On an edit, I do see in the BH brochure where it states that the Home Theater is a Samsung unit.

What brochure did you see this in? I downloaded the latest brochure from the website and I don't see that anywhere.

My parents have a 2011 3055 with a Panasonic receiver and a Sharp TV. The TV is so-so and the panasonic receiver is pretty decent. It is 5.1 surround sound with a subwoofer installed behind the fireplace. Sounds decent (for an RV setup). It seems they went from Pansonic and Samsung... DOWN to Jenson.... and DOWN a few more notches to Concertone (Genesis).

If it were up to me it would be a whole different story... hec... I'd even pay for good stuff... like a Samsung LED TV and a Denon or Yamaha receiver and a nice BluRay player.

I may end up just having the factory run cabling and speakers and doing the components myself.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
What brochure did you see this in? I downloaded the latest brochure from the website and I don't see that anywhere.

My parents have a 2011 3055 with a Panasonic receiver and a Sharp TV. The TV is so-so and the panasonic receiver is pretty decent. It is 5.1 surround sound with a subwoofer installed behind the fireplace. Sounds decent (for an RV setup). It seems they went from Pansonic and Samsung... DOWN to Jenson.... and DOWN a few more notches to Concertone (Genesis).

I am going to assume :)rolleyes:) it is a 2011 Brochure. The dealer we were at only has this one left. They are not going to be selling HLs anymore. So I assume that the brochure I have is a 2011 to go with their 2011 BH. There is no year on the brochure.
IMAG0222.jpgIMAG0221.jpg

Look at line F

My 2012 Big Country Gold came with the genesis piece of junk. No hdmi and not a blue ray. Im thinking of buying a samsung system and trying to remove the genesis. I just have to figure out how to get the genesis out. It ticks me off I cant play sound from tv through my ceiling speakers.

tcfake613

My 2012 Big Country Gold came with the genesis piece of junk. No hdmi and not a blue ray. Im thinking of buying a samsung system and trying to remove the genesis. I just have to figure out how to get the genesis out. It ticks me off I cant play sound from tv through my ceiling speakers.

I finalized my specs with the factory this week. My coach is scheduled to be built in mid January. I am deleting the Genesis unit and have them install the speakers and wiring. Am having HDMI run from entertainment cabinet to TV as well as a fiber optic cable so I can run TV sound through my system. I am going to purchase a home surround receiver and bluray player.... Probably Denon, Pioneer or Yamaha.

Wish I could get a job designing A/V systems for RV manufacturers, cuz they don't get it!

Swanny59

I just bought a 2011 Sundance 3300QS. It came equipped with a no name brand "ESTONE" entertainment system with rca jacks connecting to the television. It is the only appliance in the unit that did not come with a manual. Tried doing a search on the internet for a manual and it is non-existent. Will buy a Jensen when I get a chance to.

DSCN2660.jpg

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Swanny59, how does the system sound?
If it sounds ok, then contact these people for some help. They may have a manual.
Technical support for EX7500, EX8500, &EX8502 in-Wall DVD Players, please contact
Patrick Industries Inc
Tel: (574) 970-8348
e-mail: arzadonn@patrickind.com
address: 1930 W. Lusher Ave, Elkhart, IN 46517

Peace
Dave