Winterizing new Greyston

cntp

We bought a Greystone this spring and are needing to learn how to winterize it ourselfs.had the dealer do it this year, but want to learn how to do it ourselves and then how to unwinterize it this next spring. Anyone know where we can find the directions, like a webb site or book We want to become self sufficient as much as possible. Thanks:eek:

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Not sure about the Greystone but our BH has instuctions on the inside of the door to the UDC.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
In case you don't have the generic manual, here's a link to it. What info there is can be found on page 71.

http://www.heartlandrvs.com/index.php?p=21

Since there is variation in how the different models are plumbed and whether they have the same valves in the UDC, my procedure may not match what you have to do. I drain the water heater (cold) and use the bypass valve levers in the UDC (you may have to get behind your water heater to bypass it). I then blow the lines clear with 40psi air by connecting my compressor to the city water inlet. Next, I pump antifreeze in via the water pump intake line for it. Pour some AF into the various drains and the toilet, as well. I have a washer/dryer, so I have to winterize that, too. In the spring, I use air to blow the AF out of the lines and then pump some chlorinated water in via the same procedure I used to winterize. Once I get to our seasonal site, I run city water through all the faucets for several minutes to clear them of the chlorinated mix and run a short (empty) wash cycle on the washer to clear it. I have to do my winterize/de-winterizing at the storage yard since I can't get the rig on my driveway.

Someone with a Greystone may be able to give you a more definitive procedure.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
cntp, you should get several responses from members but this isn't a typical question asked of the Factory and I doubt you will see a reply from them.
The info you received fro JohnDar is very good. Mainly, get as much water out of the lines as possible. When pumping anti freeze through the system, don't forget the toilet valve and the black tank flush line.
Some folks remove the battery and put it in the basement of the house or at least in a garage. Others just disconnect the battery to prevent it from going totally dead.
Another thing to consider is placing dryer sheets in the lower cabinets near any openings where piping comes into the rig. This helps deter critters. If you have vent covers, it doesn't hurt to slightly open a vent.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
In regards to the black tank flush line, any water past the anti-siphon valve will drain into the tank, thus clearing that section of line. From the UDC fitting up to the anti-siphon, it may or may not drain out on it's own. Originally, my UDC fitting for it did not have a check valve, just a hollow plastic tube, something like a flow restrictor, nothing more. I've since replaced the fitting (it broke) with a city water connection with check valve. Pressing the valve pin open, I drained about a 1/2 cup of water from the line.

I also remove the battery and bring it home. I'll give it a charge a couple of times over the winter to keep it happy. The use of dryer sheets may work for some mice. The ones around me used it for toilet paper. One of the drudgery chores is to go around the frame of the rig, sealing up any opening you can to keep the little buggers out. But it may appear that Mickey has gone over to the Star Trek set and borrowed a transporter beam to get inside.

Don't forget to inflate your tires to the max. cold pressure and put covers on them. Not a bad thing to park the rig with the tires up on a piece of wood, rather than in the dirt over the winter. Remove anything in the storage areas that might freeze and burst, too. Remove the TV's and any other valuables and put a sign on the rig that you've removed all valuables. Might help keep burglars from busting in, might not, depending on how big of a hurry they're in.

I bought a 32RL last year and had the same questions about winterizing. As a pilot, I am a big believer in checklists (as a senior citizen, I tend to forget little things) so here are the checklists I developed (I have them as word documents so they are easy to update as I get more experience). I would appreciate any comments on them.

Winterizing:

Winterizing Checklist – Page 1

1. Buy 3 gallons pink antifreeze and HWH anode
  2. Complete Storage Checklist
  3. Take freezable liquids off RV (check basement)
  4. Remove batteries from clocks, remote controls & flash lights
  5. Close all windows and roof vents, all shades down
  6. Oil all hinges and locks
  7. Turn thermostat off
  8. Wash roof with medium stiffness brush and detergent
    1. Inspect caulk at all roof fittings
  9. Drain HWH by removing HWH anode on outside panel at bottom ( 1 1/8” socket) and opening pressure relief valve – store anode
  10. Set valve behind HWH to bypass (top & bottom valves closed – middle valve open) – access in drivers side of basement
  11. Blow out HWH at anode plug, replace anode with ¾” drain plug coated with white lithium grease (anti-freeze is very corrosive to anode)
  12. Open fresh water tank drain (red hose under UDC)
  13. Open low point drains – between axles door side
  14. Open all faucets, valves and drains until all systems drain completely
  15. Run demand pump until water stops then shut off immediately – do not run pump dry
  16. Blow out water lines from city water connection – do not exceed 40 psi air pressure
  17. Blow out black water tank flush system
  18. Close low point drains & all valves, faucets and drains (and fresh water tank drain)
  19. Pump pink antifreeze thru siphon pick-up located behind UDC in basement. Pump anti-freeze through fresh water lines with water heater bypass closed – open cold water faucets until antifreeze flows the repeat with hot water
  20. Flush toilet until antifreeze flows into toilet bowl
Winterizing Checklist – Page 2

1. Antifreeze to all sink / shower drains / traps
  2. Open low point drains & all valves
  3. Drain holding tanks (black & gray)
  4. Pour ½ gallon anti-freeze into toilet – add chemicals
  5. Open/close black water termination valve quickly to coat valve blade and seal with anti-freeze
  6. Open/close gray water termination valves quickly to coat valve blade and seal with anti-freeze
  7. Drain water from sewage drain pipe the close
  8. Pour ½ gallon antifreeze into water tank

Since it is referred to, here is my storage checklist:

RV Storage Checklist

1. Ensure both generator gas tanks are full - Add Sta-Bil Store
  2. Open all slides – dry silicon to gears, treatment to seals
  3. Coat bright parts of awning supports with silicon spray
  4. Lube all awning knobs
  5. Lube all locker/door hinges and locks
  6. Turn refrigerator off
  7. Drain fresh water / black water / grey water tanks
  8. Wash black tank thru UDC hose connection
  9. Lube all valve edges shafts – ensure all closed
  10. Add chemical to toilet with ½ gallon fresh water
  11. Check water in both batteries – clean posts
  12. Turn master battery switch off (Note: I added this - it is not standard equipment)
  13. Check tire inflation – 75 – 80 PSI
  14. Wheel covers
  15. Air conditioning cover
  16. Ensure all roof vents closed – insulation pads to all 3 vents
  17. Clean air conditioner filter
  18. Clean oven hood filter
  19. Check all water fittings for leaks
  20. Light a stove burner
  21. Close service valve on LP tank – turn stove burner off
  22. Turn furnace thermostat to “Off”
  23. Prop refrigerator doors open
  24. Open door to toilet and hall
  25. Put cardboard covers inside right side windows for sun protection
  26. Tape plastic inside exterior vent for HWH, and outside of refrigerator vents to keep animals out
  27. WD-40 all moving parts on step – paint as needed
  28. Torque axle U-bolts, wheel bolts, bicycle rack and king pin box bolts
Spring Commissiong checklist:

Spring Checklist

1. Charge both RV batteries
  2. Open all 3 ceiling vents / start fans to air out RV
  3. Remove plastic covers from outside refrigerator and HWH vents
  4. Blow out fresh water system thru City Water Connection – DO NOT EXCEED 40 psi
  5. Replace HWH anode (1 1/8” socket) – use white lithium grease
  6. Change HWH by pass valves
  7. Connect hose to city water connection and flush all lines
  8. Close low point and fresh water tank drains then flush thru all faucets into drains
  9. Sanitize fresh water system with Clorox
  10. Drain all tanks thru sewage discharge
  11. Check RV battery water levels
  12. WD-40 all moving parts on steps
  13. Torque axle bolts, wheel bolts, bicycle rack and king pin box bolts
  14. Lube king pin
  15. Bikes and chairs to their racks and cover
  16. Put batteries in all clocks, flashlights and thermometers
  17. Put all freezables back on RV
Inside
  1. Vacuum floors
  2. Clean windows
  3. Clean cabinet exteriors
  4. Clean sinks, toilet, shower
  5. Clean stove, microwave, refrigerator
  6. Dust
  7. Clean table and counter tops
Exterior
  1. Wash roof surface and treat with sealant
  2. Wash RV exterior
  3. Wax exterior (min front surface)
  4. Apply seal treatment to slideout seals
  5. Apply lubricant to slideout rails
  6. Clean tires and apply protectant, wax wheels & accessories

lorax

Thanks, I too am a check list guy. This is a great one. Removing batteries from the little things in the coach makes sense.
Ted