Hair dryer question

janronnh

We just took our newly purchased 181 out for a shakedown trip and now we're looking forward to 2 weeks with it in FL after the holidays. DH insists I can't use my hair drying in the trailer, even with most other electrical appliances turned off. But after much surfing the net and these forums I don't see anything that supports his position. I have noted some precautions, such as not using the dryer while other appliances like the microwave are operating. Would like to hear from some MPG veterans out there about the do's and don'ts, if's and maybes of hair dryer use while on shore power. My travel dryer is 1675 watts.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Janronnh and welcome to the forum. This is a good place to get information about your rig.
Well if you want to use your hair dryer, you didn't hear this from me. I don't want any angry husbands after me.
Your rig has a 30 amp suply coming from the shore cord. If you want to figure how many amps you will draw using your hair dryer you can figure it out. Amps = watts divided by volts. So you have a hair drier using 1675 watts divided by 120, = 13.95 amps of current. You should be good to go.
Remember, you didn't hear that from me.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
You won't have any problems using a hair dryer as long as it's not on the same circuit as a coffee maker in use or any other high draw electrical device (toaster, portable heater, microwave) in use at the same time. Maybe the DH just doesn't like the noise?:D

Manzan

I have to agree with everyone else. Not a problem. Did blow a circuit breaker in the house where we were plugged in once. A 15 amp circuit and DW used hair dryer while AC was running. Have never popped anything while plugged into a 30 amp circuit.

janronnh

These replies are making me smile! And Dave, I promise not to reveal what you said or rub DHs nose in anything. We don't bring along things like a coffee maker or other kitchen appliances, and I don't dry my hair while cooking anyway. So it looks like I'll be packing that essential tool to FL. Yay!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There are no 30A outlets in any of these rigs. Most likely, she'll be using a 14A device on a 15A circuit. That's cutting it close.

Wharton

I have never had a problem using my hairdryer in the trailer. yes, they run at 1660-1800 watts but i hae never blown a circuit with the hairdryer. Now, the kitchen appliances, that is a totally different story. We "run out of electricity" on a regular basis when making breakfast, I have learned not to even think about running the toaster, microwave and electric heater at the same time.

My husband finally ran a 2nd circuit for the electric heater and that has resolved a majority of our problems.

pegmikef

DW routinely uses her hair dryer and/or curling iron . . . usually with the coffee pot on. No problems.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Look at these figures, remember they are close in Amps but different brands might be over or under these totals.
BEFORE YOU BLOW YOUR “BREAKER consider your usage
Air Conditioner 12.5amps
Converter (with nothing inuse) 1.5 amps
Electric Water Heater (6Gals) 12.5amps
Electric Refrigerator 4.0 amps
Microwave Oven 12.5amps
Electric Coffee Pot %