Power Cord and Surge Guard

drzr

My power cords 30 and 50 amp are detachable plug from the 3800, I have the 30amp surge guard with the lock hasp but it seems it is a waste of time for if someone wanted to get it with the "five finger discount" they would just unplug the cord from the trailer and the pedestal. Any suggestions!

drzr

That is exactly what I already have but my question is... what if any thing will deter someone from simply unpluggung from trailer and pedestal; besides... well you know.

bighorn3370

I know most of the pedestals can be locked with a padlock. Withthat being said, the campground may not like it. I have locked my pedestal and have never been told I couldn't lock it. A lock will deter the thief. In Detroit, they cut the live power wires from buildings to get the copper. Ernie

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Don't mean to brag but I always use a bicycle cable lock on the pedestal and have never had a problem.

drzr

I know most of the pedestals can be locked with a padlock. Withthat being said, the campground may not like it. I have locked my pedestal and have never been told I couldn't lock it. A lock will deter the thief. In Detroit, they cut the live power wires from buildings to get the copper. Ernie

An excellent idea!!!! I knew someone would cme up with a good thought. Thanks

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
My 3585 has a cable reel. then I will lock my cord to the surge protector and plug the SP into the pedestal.. The only problem there is only one way to stop a theif and that is a 357, 44 38, 9 ml. Get the point. These locks only slow them down...
Larry and Donna Keever
Oklahoma City

traveler44

I carry a chunk of chain for the power boxes that don't lock and wrap it around the surge protector and the post below the box. They could probably figure out a way to get it if they try but somebody said all you have to do is make it look like it is harder to steal than another one down the line. When the box is the lockable type I loop the power cord through the same lock that locks the surge protector in. That way if they try to get it they will be doing it with power on.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Locks are for honest ppl. If they are going to take it, all they need is a small set of bolt cutters, or a cordless grinder wheel.

drzr

I carry a chunk of chain for the power boxes that don't lock and wrap it around the surge protector and the post below the box. They could probably figure out a way to get it if they try but somebody said all you have to do is make it look like it is harder to steal than another one down the line. When the box is the lockable type I loop the power cord through the same lock that locks the surge protector in. That way if they try to get it they will be doing it with power on.

I don't quite understand. Could you please help this newbie a little more. Thanks!

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
The type of surge protector that they are referring to is connected to the end of the power cord for the RV. They have to lock it up to keep someone from walking off with it. And if they put a lock on the power panel also it keeps someone from from cutting there cable to sell the copper it is made out of.

Delaine and Lindy

I use the same security for my power cabe that came from Camping World not a very secure system. But there is no secure system, if they want it they will take it. Most of my stays are in RV parks and in 6 years of use and about 8 month a year travel I have never had a issue. I very seldom lock any storage doors. Much cheaper to replace stolen things that to replace storage doors and all storage and RV doors isn't strong at all, 6" screw driver will in seconds open any RV doors.. When we had our wonderful Montana (furr kid) I never ever locked the entrance door in case there was a fire someone I hope would let him out. As most know Locks only keep honest people honest... Happy Trails....

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have never had a problem with anyone taking something from my trailer. I have never locked my power cord. If I did and someone wanted the surge guard and/or my power cord they could just cut them and take off. We always stay in RV Parks and in most cases I think other RVers will look out for those around us. I know I will. If I see anyone messing with someone's RV I will go up and say hello just to see who they are. I have insurance if necessary but I would rather someone take what they feel they need rather than damage my trailer.

FWIW
BC

Westwind

Problem is your deductable will not cover the cost of what ever they stole, I've had that happen more then once. It always seemed that when we added up what was stolen it was always less then the deductable or right at it. If they are going to take it I say make them work for it.