Question regarding winterizing process

OhioJay

Do I really need to purchase the "winterizing kit"? Couldn't I bypass that step and expense by adding my RV anti-freeze directly to my city water connection, and allow my RV (North Trail) water pump to circulate the anti-freeze? Am I missing something, or forgetting something? I realize the tank will need to be flushed in the spring, but we do that anyway. Thanks for your time.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You could not use your fresh water inlet for drawing anti freeze through your system using the pump. The pump only draws from the tank.
I am not familiar with the North Trail, but I am pretty sure there are bypass valves for winterizing under or behind a panel.
Hopefully a NT owner will have that information for you.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Not sure what the "winterizing kit" is that you are referring to. Back when I had a TT, I purchased a bypass kit for the water heater, which consisted of valves and piping to isolate the water heater from the inflow of antifreeze during winterization. Your water pump should have an unconnected section of tubing with a valve attached to it for drawing the antifreeze into the plumbing.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jay, as the others have said, you should already have what you need to add antifreeze.
Find your fresh water pump. On the inlet side of the pump, look for a hose that is about 2 or 3 feet long and not attached to anything. That hose should have a valve that will allow you to use it to draw antifreeze from the bottle and fill the lines. make sure you drain and bypass the hot water heater. Also make sure both the LP and 110 power is off for the water heater before draining it.