Help needed. Suburban Furnace Quit Working

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Last night the furnace was working normally. Heard it go on and off in the early evening. Overnight it quit.
I noticed it smelled a little hot the last the couple of nights.

Thermostat turns on the fan and A/C., but when turned to heat, nothing at all happens.
Propane good.
Multimeter shows power at 12v panel for furnace.
Maybe we have been remiss in cleaning the air return to the furnace and it got a little hot?

Question; Is there a reset button, or secondary fuse for the furnace? I pulled the cover and saw nothing obvious.
There is a toggle switch. I flipped it off for a few seconds and then on; No change
Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Trace

Last edited:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I assume you've checked for a blown fuse on the circuit panel. How about the wiring to the thermostat - maybe the heat wire came loose (shot in the dark). I've heard of "sail" switch (a switch inside the furnace activated by the blown air) issues causing non-op conditions, but I'm not sure how you would check that. Just a couple of quick thoughts - sorry I can't add much more.

TandT

Gus, Thank you. Evrything seems intact at the thermostat. Pulling the furnace looks like a can of worms. I'm going to call HL right now to see what my options are. We are permanently set up, living in the unit 80 miles from a dealer. Hopefully they will okay a mobil repair. Trace

Rickhansen

As the manual that HarleyRyder posted points out, proper airflow is critical for the furnace to operate. Make sure you have all of the vents open and unobstructed. You mentioned that the furnace 'smelled' hot recently. Overheating is also a symptom of low airflow. You might want to follow the instructions to check that the limit switch (in the schematic, figure 6) is properly reset too.

Good Luck.

TandT

HarleyRyder, Rickhansen,
Thanks for the link to the manual and the info, I will check it out.
Getting to the unit doesn't look easy, as there are about 5 ducts in the rear and the gas that must be disconnected before it will pull out.

BTW, if needed HL will pay for repairs, but if I don't pull it to a repair facility, the service call will be on my dime, as I expected. Trace

Rickhansen

HarleyRyder, Rickhansen,
Thanks for the link to the manual and the info, I will check it out.
Getting to the unit doesn't look easy, as there are about 5 ducts in the rear and the gas that must be disconnected before it will pull out.

BTW, if needed HL will pay for repairs, but if I don't pull it to a repair facility, the service call will be on my dime, as I expected. Trace

I had mine out once and as I recall, the gas line was the hardest part as it was in the way of sliding the furnace out. I guess paying a bit for the convenience of on-site service isn't too bad when you consider how much effort you'll save in prepping for the move, driving, and setting it all back up afterwards.

TandT

I had mine out once and as I recall, the gas line was the hardest part as it was in the way of sliding the furnace out. I guess paying a bit for the convenience of on-site service isn't too bad when you consider how much effort you'll save in prepping for the move, driving, and setting it all back up afterwards.

Rick,
Thank you. As of right now, I'm using the FP and a small portable. I plan on pulling it out in a day or two. Fortunately it hasn't been very cold, so I haven't been super-motivated.
I will get back to this thread when I get it figured out.
Trace

letourno

Quebec Chapter Leader-retired
We had the same problem recently on our 2011 BH. The fault was a shorted wire somewhere between the thermostat and the main control within the AC unit control module. The dealer fixed it by using one of the unused wires (there are 3 0r 4 within the cable going to the thermostat). Worked well since.

WilmanJim

Trace,
If you haven't pulled the T-stat out and checked the wire bundle you might do that. I had a problem with our Bighorn and found when they cut the insulation around the T-stat wires they cut too deep and the wires broke. I just pulled the wired bundle up and re-did the wires. Also check your Battery as the furnace runs off the battery.
Good Luck and let us know what you find.

Jim

TandT

Thanks, just checked it everything seems correct. Must be a relay or something at the furnace.