TRC 50Amp Hard Wired Surge Protector

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I am real close to buying one of these. I want to mount it in the cargo bay so I can easily see the indicators. The wiring leading to and from my converter doesn't appear to be long enough to reach out to the cargo bay. What gauge wire will I need to extend the current (sorry for the pun) 50amp wires from/to the converter behind the cargo bay, and what is the best connector to use to connect the wiring together (I also assume I should put the wire-to-wire connections inside a covered terminal box)? (Some of you may ask why I don't just get the Progressive protector with the remote display - $200 extra is the simple answer).

GOTTOYS

With all the money you spent on a first class trailer and new truck why try to save a couple bucks now?..You'll never be sorry you bought the best there is....Don

boatto5er

The incoming 50amp line currently goes to the converter. I need to install the surge protector in-line before the converter. The current 50 amp line is too short to reach where I need to install the surge protector. New configuration will be 50 amp line in, surge protector (mounted in cargo bay), converter (mounted behind cargo bay), and on from there.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Gus, buy a length of 6/3 W/ground and mount your TRC any where you want. That wire will be around $20 for about 6 feet.
I do not think your 50 amp shore wire runs to the converter. It runs to the breaker panel.

Peace
Dave

boatto5er

Gus, buy a length of 6/3 W/ground and mount your TRC any where you want. That wire will be around $20 for about 6 feet.
I do not think your 50 amp shore wire runs to the converter. It runs to the breaker panel.

Peace
Dave

Yep - You and Bob are right. Don't know what I was thinking on going to the converter first. Makes sense to hit the breaker panel first. It's at least six feet from the breaker panel to the cargo bay in my rig so I guess I'll need a little more than double that to extend the incoming line to the cargo bay before it goes to the breaker panel.

jnbhobe

Gus; I used a piece of 6/4 SO cable to do my Progressive unit, its mounted on the basement wall and I had enough slack to get to the other side of it if needed. The SO cable is fine wire and is very flexible.

boatto5er

Haven't purchased yet. Probably later in early December so Larry and Don can help me put it on in Myrtle Beach :eek:.

porthole

Retired
Good thing my documentation is better then my memory :cool:

I "was" going to mount it next to the transfer switch. Opted for a better location though and bought 6' of wire. Probably only needed about 4' though.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=135047&viewfull=1#post135047

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Did you get it yet?
I used this one
http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw50c.htm

I also have the extra display. it is mounted tight next to the transfer switch (I have a Genny). The diplay can be mounted anywhere, it uses a telephone type cord for data.

That would be my recommendation, also. The wire that comes with the remote display is plenty long enough to put it almost anywhere you like. I have the single display in my "master control" cabinet, inside the rig.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I installed mine on the wire going from the Gen Change over box to the breaker panel. That way it works anytime its in use.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Thinking of adding a surge guard/protector of some sort also. Is there any benefits between a hardwired unit over a portable unit?

Gus, I don't want to hijack your thread, but I figured this would be the perfect group to ask.

Jamie

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
The biggest is that the non hardwired one is its outside connected to the power box. Left out in the rain and also maybe in someone else hands. And you have to store it and haul it out each time. With the hardwired one it is out of sight, out of mind.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The biggest is that the non hardwired one is its outside connected to the power box. Left out in the rain and also maybe in someone else hands. And you have to store it and haul it out each time. With the hardwired one it is out of sight, out of mind.

With the hardwired one, they might be able to steal your $100+ cord easily, but they won't get your $300 - 400 surge protector without a fight.