Dave & Amy Gray Work Camping for the First Time

DW_Gray

Amy and I have been staying at St. Vrain State Park located near Longmont, CO nearly 2 months. Today we looked at property the state park owns that has an old two story ranch house, a large red barn, a smaller work shed and a pond on about 100 acres adjacent to the main park. We'll move into the furnished house later this week. Basically, we will take care of the property and perform minor maintenance as required from 3 to 6 months. The house was built in the late 1800s or early 1900s. The inside is clean and maintained and recently painted. I'll park our Cyclone near the house and winterize it. This will certainly be change in our adventure but I think we'll enjoy our experience. I will add some pictures as soon as I can.

Last edited:

olcoon

Sounds wonderful! Is there is a history with the house? Maybe there are some friendly ghosts!

I've heard there is an app for I Phones that will "detect" ghosts!

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
It sounds perfect for you two. What a great place to root for a while...Cant wait to see all the photos from that lovely area..

DW_Gray

I created an album on my Facebook page of the ranch. The link below is for public viewing so you all should be able to see the pictures.

I'm sure there is some history to this ranch. I was able to learn the names of the previous owners and I know the wife is still living somewhere in Colorado. I only guess that they raised goats and or sheep here. I have walked all the way around the property and crisscrossed it. There is no indication they grew crops here. There is a fenced area for a small garden. Hay may have been harvested but due to the lay of the land it couldn't have been much.

I'll get some more pictures of the upper barn floor ASAP and let you know when they're ready to view. I'm still sitting up house so it will be a week or so before I post those pictures.

Right now, there is couple ideas floating around on what this property will be used for and maybe both will be done.

1. A nature education center for K-12.

2. A western style wedding center. (That was my initial impression when Amy and I saw the ranch for the first time. I've got it all planned out in my head.)

To my surprise, I leaned there will be 10-15 oil wells drilled on the property.

Bacon Ranch - Work Camp Photo Album

Last edited:

Lou_and_Bette

Dave, I viewed your pictures and I believe the saw you have there is called a "cross-buck" but then again, maybe not.

Lou

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Nice set up and not terribly far from Gillette. Are you guys planning on attending?

DW_Gray

Nice set up and not terribly far from Gillette. Are you guys planning on attending?

Oh yes. That's when we'll decide to move out and move on or just take a short vacation for the rally. We'll just have to wait and see how things are working out here. I really like this place. I don't look forward to the preparation for oil drilling on the property in May (estimated date).