Upper kitchen cabinets falling out

I've recently noticed that my upper cabinets in my 2009 sundance are falling out.the screws simply seem as though they are not screwed into the studs.i can understand this because it is a moving unit,i can fix myself with no problem but my studfinder does not seem to work on the walls.i've spent the last two hours calling heartland customer service only to be pushed on to someone else's voicemail....can anyone please answer my simple question?is the structure 16 on center? Thank you for your help fellow 5th wheelers

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Archerypro, What model Sundance do you have? The walls have aluminum studs but they are not on any evenly distributed pattern. The best way to locate studs would be on a damp morning, go out and look at the side of the rig. The studs will show as dry lines on wall. You may be able to locate them with a stud findeer that also locates metal studs. Usually they are located adjacent to windows. In other words, along side a window, there should be a stud running top to bottom. There are possibly backer plates built into the wall where the cabinets attach. Not too sure on this though.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unfortunately, I didn't get any photos of the wall framing while at the plant tour last summer. But this photo from their Bighorn Construction Booklet might give you a general idea of the layout. Hard to tell, but they look like they're laid out in more of a space frame pattern, than simply 16" or 24" O.C. The ones on the top of the pile appear to be upside down.

View attachment 17030

wdk450

Since most studfinders work on magnetism, I don't think they will work with aluminum studs (aluminum doesn't respond to magnets).

hoefler

There is a stud finder that works on density, I have one, can't seem to remember the brand. The magnetic ones a literally worthless, you have to find a steel fastener for them to work.