12v plug in UDC

nhunter

Has anyone ever added a 12volt lighter plug in the UDC and tied it into the factory fuse box?

SmokeyBare

NHunter,

I put a power connection for a Portable macerator pump above the UDC inside the basement. I didn't feel the 12Volt Lighter Plug would be enough to power the pump. I used a two wire disconnect I had... and ran 12 Guage wire.

I know it works... but I've not actually used the pump yet to dump the tanks.

Marv

Forrest Fetherolf

nhunter,

I added 12 volt lighter plug next to the hydraulic slide pump and 120 volt outlet on the ceiling in the front compartment. 12 volt was fused and attached to slide pump 12 volt wiring. 120 volt was spliced into 120 volt wiring running to the front plug in the master closet. Very quick and easy. Now I have both 12 volts and 120 volts outlets to run compressors, lights, and accessories.

Forrest

nhunter

I was also thinking I could run a macerator pump, but now that you mention it I should look for an upgraded plug.

Pulltab

For my macerator pump I bought the 50 amp slide together connectors often used on winches and connected one set to a set of #8 wires in a rubber cord (acutally a 3 wire cord and one is not needed) long enogh to reach back to the sewer outlet area and connected the pump end wires to the other 50 amp connector. I connected the 8 gauge wires to the battery with ring terminals and when not in use I wind it up and hang in front bay. I also have another 50 amp plug that I have alligator clips attached to (the heavy duty type) in case I need to charge a battery from the truck or something. A regular 12 volt outlet is way to undersized to use the macerator. You will either continously blow fuses or melt the wire they supply with the plug.

nhunter

I hand't looked into the macerator that much but am suprised they draw that much amperage. Thanks for the heads up.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Anderson power poles are the greatest. I use them on all of my ham radio gear with no problems. Allows quick disconect and reconect anytime and I can swap out equipment easy

Pulltab

nhunter said:
I hand't looked into the macerator that much but am suprised they draw that much amperage. Thanks for the heads up.

I think the fuse is 20 amp but not positive could be a 15. Dummy me the other day went to use it and got it all connected and turned it on and forgot to open the valve :eek: It pulls a vacum pretty quick and pops the fuse.

During pumping grey water it does not draw much amperage but throw in the black stuff where it has to start grinding and pumping and it pulls some real power.