ToyLok

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
A toy lock is a devise with a retractable cable used to lock down an item (toys).
If you go to WalMart and look in their camping goods area you may find one made by Reese. I have seen them there.

Peace
Dave

Crumgater

We have one on our rig. Not an option I would have chosen, but it comes in handy from time to time for locking up bikes and other items.
The only downside is that it's in a permanent location (for us, right under / in front of the basement door).
I'll see if I can get a picture of it.

PeternLiane

Thank you all for your responses. The ToyLok looks like a good investment as long as it put in a good spot.

I had two (2) installed when I ordered my 2011 Big Country 3450TS in April of 2010.
One (1) at the front of the rig, and one (1) at the rear, both on the Left side.
They worked great all Summer long.
I put the rig in winter storage the end of Oct. 2010.
When I left for Florida 23 Jan 2011, it was 0 degrees here where I live, my slides were frozen, and I could not open them.
When I got to Florida and pulled out the cable on the front ToyLok to lock my bikes up, the cable pulled out and would not retract.
I tried the rear ToyLok. I pulled out the cable and it would not retract.
I had no choice but to remove them and put them in the back of the truck.
When I took them off, rusty water came out of both of them.
Being from Michigan, I thought maybe the water froze inside and broke something, or the spring rusted off, I really didn't know.
My Big Country dealer replaced both under warranty when I returned home in the Spring.
I took them both off and they are sitting in my garage.
It's a nice idea, but a good bike cable lock will do the same thing for a lot less money.
Knowing what I know now, I would not order this option again.

Hockster

PeternLiane

Thank you for the information. People were talking about rifle cable locks too. I wonder how they would work.

Lou_and_Bette

Peter, I have one on the rear of my Road Warrior but don't use it much. As you can see in my sig, I also ride a motorcycle and when we went on trips I was worried about it being stolen so I looked for cables to tie it to something. Look at a cable called a Python. I got mine at Home Depot and it came with a 6' and a 12' cable. I then went on line and ordered a 30' cable so now I can always find something to tie the bike too. Use it with the RV so I can park the bike under the 5'r overhang like a carport and then put cable around something on the trailer. Cheap, light weight, and easy to store.

Lou

cashb

We have one and find it very useful. Use it to lock bikes but also to lock our carryout satellite receiver. I seem to remember it came in two lengths and we got the longer cable, which we are glad we did. I actually would like another one for the opposite end of the trailer.

ILH

I use a python lock - basically the same thing but detached from the RV. I recently saw an add on eBay for custom length python locks - up to about 32 feet.

TheLindsays

ok.. so I told you we are new... here is the new question of the day... I was reading this thread about toylocks... we will have a golf cart with us... someone suggested just getting one of those steering wheel locks? would be a lot easier than roping it off with a cable to something and we could use it when we stop and go in someplace at the park if we felt the need ...like if we left it in a remote type area to go down a trail or something? We had rented a cart at Disney and the girl told me if someone steals it just call us and let us know and we will go look for it....I thought...hmmm even in Disney... a disney cart...really... so now I am wondering what we should do now that we have our own cart

porthole

Retired
I haved used my toylok with our cart. I have also used a steel cable. With either I just picked up the seat and ran the cable down and under. If using a separate cable it wrapped around the landing gear.