Carpet and Heat Registers

RVFun4Us

As with many RVs, my 3055 had a problem with the carpet trim around the heat registers. The carpet was cut so that one of my heat registers did not cover the edge of the carpet, thus it was raised on one side of the register. Just enough that our 9 month old golden retriever was able to get her teeth on the carpet and shred it back about 1 1/2 inches from the edge. So now all that is left there is the binding. So we are faced with a dilemma and I wanted to run a solution by the readers here. As you know, the heat registers are small in an RV compared to the larger ones in a home. I believe the RV registers are about 2 1/2 inches wide where they fit into the floor opening whereas a home register is about 4 inches wide. So we were thinking about cutting the heat register hole larger in the RV, placing the larger register into the space thus covering the area where the carpet is ruined. Our golden would not be able to get at the edge anymore since the new register would be covering the carpet area much better. Is there a downside to doing this? Will placing the larger register with an adjustable dial for controlling the incoming air into this space mess up the air flow to the other registers? There is one more register at the rear of the coach beyond the problem area. And finally, is there a solution to our problem that we are not thinking of right now? Would appreciate any comments before we tackle this problem. Thanks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The register sits in more than just a hole cut in the floor. I think you may have to do a little sheet metal work from the bottom. I think that what you are proposing is doable and should not be a major project. Yould be able to get what you need at a big box store such as Home Depot.
Let us know how it works out......complete with pictures.

Peace
Dave

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Shouldn't be a problem although you may have to modify the "box" it sits in. Look at a local RV supply for registers, I think you'll find they have sizes more appropriate to the rvs and their fastening systems or lack of fastening. We have a size that's about the same length but double width, metal, in an adjustable damper style. They're not uncommon and should be available from any RV store that can order from the bigger distribution houses. Stores like Camping World will only carry the most popular items, but try a facility that has a good store with a repair center. I don't know how close you are, but Triple-A in Medford has a pretty good selection of parts.

jbeletti

Bob and Sheri,

In your "08 3055, do you have the laminated floor system? My guess is that you do not. In that case, the cavity between the floor joists is your duct run. Should make it easier to cut a larger hole.

Jim

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unless they've started installing adjustable floor registers (I converted all of mine to them), all you have is a grating over a hole. Replace the grating with a larger one and screw it down. If it's 4x10, replace it with a 6x12 to cover the damage area and hold the edges down.

RVFun4Us

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Dave - yes, there is sheet metal that will need to be cut. That should't be a problem.

Ray and Deb - I have already purchased a 4X10 register from Fred Meyer. Although the home registers typically don't screw down, I will drill a couple of holes in the new register just to keep it firm into the floor and also cover the carpet well.

Jim - Not sure about the laminated floor system but when I removed the old register, it appeared the ducting was in a channel so would just need to cut opening larger and trim the sheet metal.

John and Darlene - The old registers are the small ones meant for RVs, I think something like 2X10. The new one I bought is a 4X10 so should work nicely.

Will let everyone know how the mod goes. Thanks again everyone for your advice.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I would get a piece of carpet from heartland or cut a piece from under the sofa. Remove the metal heater grill, cut the bad carpet out, get a carpet installer (or do it yourself) and use the heat tape to install a new piece of carpet and then install the grill back. Piece of cake.