Sr-79 from temecula to beaumont

WilmanJim

Looking for info on SR-79 from Temecula to Beaumont. We are heading from Santee Lakes to Blythe and was thinking of taking this route. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

scott b

Maybe Bob will chime in and tell you about this route , however if it were me I would take the 15 north to Temecula, to the 215 north to the 60 east and your there . This is a straight shot to Beaumont, the 60 merges with 10 east and takes you down the hill to Palm Springs and on to Blythe.Good Luck...Scott

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Scott is right. Take the 15 N to the 215 N to the 60 E and your on your way to Blythe. The 79 is a lonely 2 lane road, its ok but I would not pull a big 5er that way. JMHO

frumbawa

It's been a while since I've done this but SR79 from Temecula to Beaumont is mostly two and four lane surface street driving. In Temecula, SR/79 aka Winchester Road takes you past the mall. Lots of lanes there but also traffic lights. This area can be busy depending on time of day. Once out of town if I remember right, it drops down to a two lane road until you get to Hemet where it opens back up to four lanes through town and stays that way pretty much the rest of the way. Like I said, it's been a while since I've done this route and I hear this area has filled in quite a bit with housing so things maybe things have changed. As mentioned, I'm sure Bob will chime in as this is his neck of the woods.

As you head up the 15 towards Temecula, give us a wave as you pass through Escondido :)

Frank

jerwen

I will have to agree with Scott and Bob. I live in the area and that is definitely the best route for you. Have a safe trip!
Jerry

wdk450

Jim:
This is my old stomping ground - born and raised in Hemet. Hwy 79 is pretty crowded with a lot of lights in the Temecula area near the I-15 offramp. The road is O.K. 2 lane up to Hwy 74 (Florida Ave.) West of Hemet. You have to figure out your transition (couple of ways to go) to get to the North end of the Valley and to the Lambs Canyon grade on Hwy 79 on into Beaumont. The Marines from Camp Pendelton going to 29 Palms use this a route lot, you will save about 20 miles over I-215/US 60, but if I was from out of area I would go that way just to leave the cruise control on and avoid the Temecula and Hemet area traffic (although I have been in traffic backups on I-215 near March AFB). The I-215/US 60 way is all freeway, and the beginning grade up Lambs canyon is fairly steep. There is a grade on US 60 between Moreno Valley and Beaumont, but not as bad.

WilmanJim

Thanks for all the replies. We were planning on stopping at Lake Skinner on the way to Blythe and was wondering if 79 was a good way. The only thing bad about going back out Rancho California Rd is it takes forever to get back to I-15. What, there must be at least 10 to 12 Wineries along the way. :rolleyes:
Guess we will stick to our plan and go the way everyone said. If we do enough wine tasting we won't worry about Traffic or Hills. :rolleyes:
Thanks Again to everyone for the Replies.
Safe Travels to All.

Jim and Wilma

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jim, if you want a short cut the Lake Skinner. I got one......and its not taking Rancho Calif Rd. Let me know.

WilmanJim

Thanks Bob, but I guess we are not stopping at Lake Skinner now. We were to meet up with some friends there and head to Blythe the next day. They had to cancel so we will just head on to Blythe.
Again, Thank you for the reply.

Jim