2012 Grand Canyon

comoco

Hello,

First time posting. We are looking for a new 5th wheel and the Grand Canyon looks like a possibility. I have a few questions about this floor plan (although some might be generic for Landmark).
  1. How are the dining chairs strapped to the floor for travel? Is there a hook in the floor that a bungee cord attaches too? If yes, do you catch your toes or slippers on the hook?
  2. I see an outdoor television that is in line with the dining table. Inside is a nice buffet (opposed to a table). Is this buffet available without the outdoor television?
  3. Is there enough room in the slide and across the back to swap the recliners and sofa? I would prefer the sofa across the back and the recliners in the slide.
  4. Are there electrical outlets around the stove or under the cabinet beside the microwave?
  5. Do the cabinet doors above the garage appliance open 180 degrees? Is this the cabinet where you store your plates, etc?
  6. Or do you store your plates in the cabinet beside the microwave?
Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Todd
  1. Or do you store your plates in the cabinet beside the microwave?

jimtoo

Hi Todd,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

The Landmark Grand Canyon if a beautiful unit. I'm sure some of our other members that have a Grand Canyon will jump in soon to help you with some answers. If you don't get enough information here, you might call the dealer your working with or call the Heartland Customer Service.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
The buffet is part of the outdoor entertainment center. It provides access to the back of the TV and the speakers. I was told you can't get the buffet without the entertainment center. Don't know the answer to the other questions. I have ordered a new Key Largo that should be delivered some time in January. This forum is the best of any I have been associated with. Very helpful. Ken

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Welcome to the Heartland Forum and hopefully - congratulations. To answer your questions, remembering that we have a Big Country, not a Grand Canyon but alot of the features are the same:
1. There are D rings on the floor that the strap snaps clip too. We used them for awhile but now don't even use them.
2. Our 2012 Big Country did not come with an outside TV so can't comment on this.
3. Our BC does not have enough room to leave the sofa on the back wall so we have put furniture slider under it and slide them when we get to the campground location.
4. Outlets around the stove - more than I will ever use.
5. we store our dishes in the cabinet on the left side of the stove but that probably isn't the same on the Grand Canyon.
6. The cabinet on the right side of the microwave is where I store the spices, cooking oil, etc.
I know the Landmark floorplan is different than the BC 3650 that we have but hopefully this will give you some ideas.
Good luck and happy hunting.

bdb2047

We have 2011 not sure of differences but don,t think yhey are much different.
1 we do not strap dining chairs down the rings in floor do not cause a problem
2 not the same
3Our couch,hide a bed,will not work on back wall is to deep for slides to close
4 1 under cabinet to right of stove 1 in garage
5 doors open 90
6 cabinet too right of micro

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
We have a 2011 Landmark Key Largo so I can answer 'general' questions but not Grand Canyon specific questions.
  1. There are straps that attache to the D rings on the floor and hold the chairs in place when traveling. We full time in our Key Largo and never have an issue with the D rings being stepped on and we do use them to hold the chairs in place when on the road.
  2. The buffet/outdoor entertainment center is a new feature and I'm not able to comment...sorry!
  3. I believe that the Key Largo & San Antonio are the only two models that you can swap the chairs/couch and can close the slides. I believe that there is room to swap them when not traveling but they would have to be moved back into their 'homes' when traveling so that the slides can close. However, this may have changed with the new 2012 model.
  4. Our Key Largo has 2 outlets mounted under the overhead cabinets on either side of the stove and I would think that the Grand Canyon is the same.
Good luck on your search!

jbeletti

I see an outdoor television that is in line with the dining table. Inside is a nice buffet (opposed to a table). Is this buffet available without the outdoor television?

Do the cabinet doors above the garage appliance open 180 degrees? Is this the cabinet where you store your plates, etc? Or do you store your plates in the cabinet beside the microwave?

It's my sense that we could sell you a custom ordered Landmark with the buffet dinette table. To be sure, have your dealership contact their Landmark rep.

We use Corelleware. Thin, strong and stack well. We store it all in the bottom drawer of a cabinet. Have done this for all,of our RVs.

comoco

Thanks for all of the answers. Unfortunately our nearest dealer is a couple of hours away so it isn't practical to make a quick trip. Hopefully the dealer will have this model at the Toronto RV show in January so we can experience it in person.

jbeletti

comoco,

In the mean time, please call the factory at 574-262-5992 and ask for the Landmark rep for Canada. Ask that person all your questions. Then, by the time you hit the show, you'll know quite a bit about what you can and cannot get and you'll have a relationship with a key Heartland employee. They may also know what dealer will be at the show and what product they will be bringing.

Jim

Good luck on your choice. We love our GC. This is our 3rd winter in it. We call it our "little house" only because it isn't as big as our stick house, but not because it feels little. Every once in awhile, one of us comments on how happy we are in it. And we really live in it. I cook most of our meals, and it is a great floor plan for that. Floor plan rules.

My 2010 has one outlet undr the cupboard next to the micro. I hate it! I have to lean way down and invaiably put the plug in backwards. The area is too small to set out the coffee maker, and I don't want it sitting on the stove top area. So, we installed an additional outlet hip-high to the left of the sink in above the large cupboard doors. Love it. I can see it. I store our coffee maker under the sink and out it comes every am. There is also an outlet in the end of the sinktop area, but I think the new ones have a rounded cap there, so not sure if there is an outlet there.

I keep moving things around, but finally have the best workable storage. I keep a plastic bin in the large lower cupboard top shelf. In it I store (on their side) Correlle plates, salad plates, paper plates and holders. We never pull it out all the way; just far enough to get the plates needed at the time. You can see my pictures for how we re-made the cabinet that is now designed as a garage. I love this space now and wouldn't want a garage in its place. I LOVE the cabinets on the landing. No other unit I've seen offers such versatile, handy storage.

We removed the couch and installed an electric love seat. Recliners stay at the end and are fine for occasional use, but we sit in the loveseat (room for us and 2 dogs) for any tv/relaxing time. We use the D-rings for the chairs when we travel and I have stepped on them in barefeet a couple of times. No biggy.We do not have washer/dryer and use that area for laundry bins and other storage.

We replaced the bed/bath floor registers with Lowe's model that looks like wood and is closable. Keeps hair and dirt from getting in the ducts. Also replaced several of the ac vents with closable ones so we can control how much cooling is going to the upper/lower levels. We only have one ac and that is okay until it hits 90... then it is hard to cool the whole unit. We also replaced the kitchen faucet with a Delta. I hope the new ones come with quality faucets. We have a Sharp micro/convection and it is awesome. Some brands are much less desirable.

We spent a couple of hours at the dealer's place hanging out in the GC before we knew it was right for us. We were also able to go to the factory and see ours being built. That's and education. Hope you have a similar opportunity.