Dish TV for RVers

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Am thinking about getting Satellite TV by spring and am considering the Dish service that you pay for only months used. Is anybody using this service. It seems it would be great for someone like us who only spend summers in our unit (for now). Also considering an automatic portable antenna http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/tv-antennas/winegard-portable-satellite.htm . Any feedback on that as opposed to roof mount would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Hey Gerry,
We use Dish network but don't have turn on/turn off service that you need, since we are full-timers. I do love the convenience of the Carry Out antenna and recommend the portable unit on the tripod. The roof or ladder mount may have an issue with trees or other restrictions but we can always move the tripod mount as needed for good reception.

GOTTOYS

Funny you should ask..I just got a new Tailgater setup. Found one on sale for $429. for the Tailgater and the required 211K receiver to use with it. I activated it about an hour ago through Dish network. I currently have Dish at my home so I got the 211K activated as a second receiver. $7.00 a month. They will also connect or disconnect it if I would like and only pro-rate the monthly charge as I use it. Dish people said I can use it as much as I want. I thought this was a much better deal than the monthly thing. This system will only work through Dish network and with one television. It's also HD. If you want std. definition it's a dollar a month less. There are a couple areas along the East coast where you will not receive all three satellites, but you should still get one or two of them. The dome is very light (10#) and easy to carry. I'll probably end up with a quick release mount on top of my ladder and remove it if I need to. Just thought you might like to know...Don

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I use a dish with tri-pod from http://www.tv4rv.com/sunshop/ and it works great. Easy to set up and the portability has come in handy several times moving around obstructions. I take the receivers from the house so there is no extra cost per month. I'm giving some thought to a roof mount and keeping this set up as back up in case I can't get a signal from the roof.

Wmnmy

Am thinking about getting Satellite TV by spring and am considering the Dish service that you pay for only months used. Is anybody using this service. It seems it would be great for someone like us who only spend summers in our unit (for now). Also considering an automatic portable antenna http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/tv-antennas/winegard-portable-satellite.htm . Any feedback on that as opposed to roof mount would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
We have the service that you can s tart and stop its great also have the wineguard portable carry out nice not having to try and lock in on three satellites manually was a pain for me .

lew2885

We have Dish at home, too, got the deal for two receivers, so we don't have to move one. We use it whether we're home or gone--we just call dish to install local networks wherever we are if we're staying for a while, like now. We're in Okeechobee, FL till March (live in NC) and get just what we need. We're satisfied Dish people. JP wants a Birdog for finding the satellite, but I think he just needs more practice.

Gizzy

Are you all happy with Dish Network as a service provider?
We are happy with DISH now. When we took a 4 month trip this past summer it was a royal pain trying to lock in the signal with the tripod set up. Most of the time it would not work. When they came out with the Tailgator we jumped on it and now it is so nice to just set it out and hook it up. WORKS GREAT! I would never go back to the frustration of the tripod again. Well worth the money. Since we already had the right receiver we only had to spend $350 for the unit.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
We are happy with DISH now. When we took a 4 month trip this past summer it was a royal pain trying to lock in the signal with the tripod set up. Most of the time it would not work. When they came out with the Tailgator we jumped on it and now it is so nice to just set it out and hook it up. WORKS GREAT! I would never go back to the frustration of the tripod again. Well worth the money. Since we already had the right receiver we only had to spend $350 for the unit.

What type of tri-pod did you use. The one I bought from TV4RV'RS is so simple even I can do it. You get the dish set up data for your system from http://www.dishpointer.com/, adjust the dish, the tri-pod comes with a compass to set the azimuth, screw on the dish, fine tune if needed and your done.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Thanks for all the info. I don't have Dish at home (cable) so the monthly deal should work great for me. The self search and portable unit seem the way I will go come spring. And Jay, tell Stella hi and to quit pulling on that sleeve.

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
We have DISH service at home and I recently purchased a Tailgater carryout unit to use when we travel. It suports one receiver which I already had at home so I can take it with me. I purchased it from local DISH provideder for $350. Easy instructions to follow and it worked first time I set it up.

funntheson

We just switched our home service from Directv to Dish, so we could get the Tailgater. I had them include the 211 receiver as one of our startup receivers, and ordered the Tailgater online. So, for under $400 bucks, + the $7 per month, we have dish HD on the road.

I tested out at home a few days ago, and it was simple, and worked great. You don't even need an additional power source, as it gets it's power through the one cable that runs to the receiver.

Time will tell, but it seems like a better option than the $1300-1400 I would have had to lay out for HD on Directv.

Larry

pegmikef

I got the Tailgater and receiver online for under five hundred including shipping and I use the RV package from dish and have had no problems at all in New Mexico and in east and west Texas. I like it because you set it out so it can see the southern sky, plug the receiver in and it does all the rest. No calling, no separate power cable. I use the rv package because I have a different provider at my house, so I go month to month.

caissiel

I have been using my Smartphone to find the satelite using the App called Dish Pointer available on the application Market site and its a breeze.
You can see the satelite locations in the sky on the smartphone and the camera will show in the screen all the opsticle in the way. I am able to locate the dish between 2 trees in the forest. It would also be very good for locating any portable dish in an area with many opsticles.

jbeletti

Laurent,

I have the same app (iPhone version). Kathy Adams (kakampers) was using her's on my site one day and I thought it was way cool. The only app I have ever spent $20 on. Ouch but worth it if you setup a lot. Our dish is an auto-pointing model on the roof of the RV, so I need to know before I unhook the truck, that I can see the satellites I need to for Direct TV.

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've been using a free app called SatelliteAR. I put Direct TV in the search box and it gives me all the DTV sats. I use the one that has 5 satellites. Works like a charm. I use the DVR receiver to get the coordinates. Normally, once I set the tripod, change the skew and elevation on the dish and set it on the tripod it's only a matter of a few seconds before I have a good signal. Call it luck I guess. It takes longer to contact a human to change over my local channels.

gjackson

We have the service that you can s tart and stop its great also have the wineguard portable carry out nice not having to try and lock in on three satellites manually was a pain for me .

The same for us. We are wintering in a park with cable, so we stopped service until we move again. As for DISH service, sometimes it's easier to figure out stuff on your own (if you know what I'm saying). :rolleyes:

Firerad1

We have Dish also, and several receivers. We got down to AZ and called Dish to get our locals changed to AZ. Didn't happen. Our home unit was still telling them we were home. Very frustrating. Now we will be packing the home receiver with us on long trips, so we can get the locals wherever we are. Plus it has pause, record and re-wind features, which is really nice when you missed something that was said.