Propane Furnace and Power Converter

Cucina

Husband is concerned that the power converter will fail if we put on the propane furnace, and we have the bed down. Any comments would be welcome! Thanks:confused:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see any reason why the converter would fail if you used the propane furnace.
The only issue I see would be to run down the battery if you were not on shore power.

Peace
Dave

Cucina

I guess I should have added that we have a MPG 185, where the power converter and furnace are under the bed. They are across from each other with about 36" in between. The concern is that the furnace will overheat the converter and it will fail.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't feel you have anything to worry about. The converter has it's own cooling fan. The downside is being under the bed it could be annoying at night when the little fan kicks in. The furnace usually has mounting specs with clearance requirements that manufacturers have to adhere to.

jnbhobe

Both units have their own safe guards, the converter has a cooling fan and the furnace has an over heating thermo-disc to prevent it from getting too hot.

kb0zke

It sounds like the concern is that the hot air from the furnace is blowing directly toward the converter. Since they are so far apart, though, I doubt that there will be much of an issue. A bigger concern is that the heat is not going out into the main living space of the camper, which is also true of our 181. I've thought about making some sort of deflector that would help move that heat out toward the rear of the camper. On the other hand, we don't camp much when we need the heat, so maybe I can postpone that project for a while.

MPG185-GA

We have the MPG 185 as well and have made it thru 2 seasons without any issues with the furnace and converter....and our bed remains in place most of the time.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It seems to me that if this was an issue the design engineers would have taken that into consideration when they designed the unit. I would use the RV as it was built to be used and not worry about it. In other words "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Have fun and "Happy camping".

ptarthur2

Has anyone that has actually used their propane furnace noticed that there is no Off swtich? The first time I used the furnace in my 181 I noticed that it's fuse was not in the socket in the fuse panel. Instead the fuse was taped to the inside of the fuse panel door. I installed the fuse and the furnace seemed to work just fine (other than being very noisey under the bed). Later when we left the campground that we were staying in I didn't remove the furnace fuse from it's socket but I did turn the thermostat all the way down. When we arrived at our next destination and opened the door to the camper, I found the heater running. I don't like the idea of the heater running while I am towing the trailer down the road so I removed the fuse from the panel but it seems like there should be an off switch to prevent the furnace from turning on.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ptarthur2, you might consider changing over to a digital T-stat. They normaly have a switch designated 'Heat', 'Cool', and 'Off'.
Might be in the $20-$25 range.

Peace
Dave

Tumblebug

It's my understanding that when the thermostat in the far left position( coldest ) it is in the off position, cutting any current to the furnace. It appears to operate that way on my MPG 183.

kb0zke

We had our 181 winterized at the dealership as part of the final warranty check, so whether they did anything to the furnace or not I don't know. I suspect that they made sure that the propane was turned off, though. I just went out to check, though, since the temperature here is cold enough that the furnace should come on. The furnace wasn't running, but I did hear a chirp from inside. Since I had already pulled the batteries from the rear smoke detector, I was a bit surprised. Turns out that the front smoke detector is also battery-operated. Somehow I always thought it was hard-wired in. I've now removed the (original) battery from it, and the next time we take the mpg out I'll put new batteries in both units.