Best RV dehumidifier...

Rojo08

Hello all,
I have a Sundance 3100 RB 5er and live in the good old PNW. My family and I like to camp all year round. For instance, we are headed to Astoria Oregon between Christmas and New Years. I am researching dehumidifiers and very few reviews talk about RV use. I am looking at a 25-30 pint unit. Anybody have any favorites? I am wondering about effectiveness and noise, etc,.
Thanks,
Mike

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I can't help much with something to use while occupying the RV but I would recommend keeping a couple vents open to help let the moisture escape. Not ideal for heat efficiency but really helps with the condensation issues!

When the RV is not being used, try one of THESE. The Happy's with a couple of DriZAirs does an excellent job of keeping things dry! We too live in the Pacific Northwet!

And...I would be remiss if I did not encourage you to look at our newly formed WA Chapter of the Heartland Owners Club. We had our first rally this year in Anacortes and I am currently soliciting members for suggestions about the 2012 rally.

Best Wishes and have a great holiday season!

We use the
012505275210lg.jpg

Frigidaire 30-Pint 2-Speed Dehumidifier

It has only 2 speeds, the lower is not much quieter than the higher, but it does a super job at pulling the humidity out. We got it at Lowe's. They have a 20% military discount, so you or someone you may know can save some money.

rick_debbie_gallant

Back when we had a sailboat I would leave a
Household dehumidifier run. However when not on board we would let the water run into the sink and thus back into the water. Worked for us real well.

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Not being used to the PNW maybe I can't understand your particular humidity problem.. In Oklahoma we only have a humidity problem in the spring and summer. We use use our air conditioners as dehumidifiers.. In the winter our forced air heating systems really dry out our air, so we have to install humidifiers on our heating units. Or we have portable humidifiers. This is to put humidity back into the air or our skin gets really dry. So maybe forced air heater such as the one in your RV should help control your humidity. Good Luck.
Larry and Donna Keever
2010 Ford F350 FX4 Lariet 6.4
2011 BigHorn 3585.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
We just came back from Michigan and our Sundance the first night condensed all the windows up with moister. After the first night the central heat dried the air out. We didn't have any trouble afterwords.

Manzan

Seattle here. We often go to the coast with our trailer and during the winter humidity is a big problem. Too warm to use the furnace much and much too cold to use the AC. We always leave a window and a vent cracked and always us the fan over the stove when cooking. Both of those things help. With our old trailer we had a clothes drying rack that installed out side under the awning. Would hang wet rain gear out there to avoid bringing in more moisture. Often 55° to 60° and raining. We have been there in the summer and had colder weather.

Rojo08

Thanks Guys,
It seems our Central heat actually adds to the problem (I was told that propane heat was very wet). When it's 34-45 outside and 67 inside...Vents open using the fan already. It's not NEAR as bad as our old ultra-light TT but still bad enough that it may cause problems in the future. The Frigidaire model was the one I was leaning to, so that settles it for me. Thanks! We live, across the sound from Seattle, on the Hood Canal and want to ensure the ever present moisture doesn't hamper us in the future. As far as the owners club, I see some info is available I'll take a look...Thank-You.
Mike

Manzan

Your Central heat is vented outside so not a problem. The stove and oven are not vented so they are a good source of moisture.

Wolfpackers

Our fiver (keystone product) a/c has a "dry" setting that doesn't necessarily cool the air, but runs it across the coils to get the moisture out. I hear the compressor come on and off, but the fans runs continuously while in that setting. We use space heaters instead of the furnace, so are able to take advantage of that setting. If you don't need heat and don't have the "dry" setting on your a/c, you could run the a/c at a temp that just does make it come on. Our a/c unit is a Carrier if that helps...not sure what is on Heartlands yet....maybe in the future.

boatdoc

We, freinds and family all use the Soleus brand and have not had a problem. They work well and are very quiet.

gebills

This is a great, interesting topic. Not certain what Rojo08's reasons for wanting the dehumidifier (other than simply removing moisture), but I have a huge concern over being able to stay on top of any odor problems that will most certainly result due to the moisture and humidity levels here in the Pacific Northwest. I am very apprehensive about our new Big Horn ending up smelling like some of the used RV's we looked at prior to our buying this new 5'er this past fall. Many, if not all of the used RV's we entered on RV lots in the Seattle area reeked with a musty odor. That fact alone, closed the deal on our buying a new unit. My fear now, is to keep that musty odor out of our RV. Currently, we are running the propane furnace in the unit, but keeping these propane bottles filled is getting a little old. As noted in other threads, I think many owners have voiced their opinions on using small electric heaters to keep lines and drains from freezing over the winter. This would also help to keep the humitity level lower. A thorough winterizing of our RV is out of the questions as we also head over to the Pacific coast when time allows during the winter months. I feel the dehumidifier is the route we are going to take to battle the odor problem, and the Frigidaire looks to be a good solution.

larrykeever made mention in his reply, to the question about "humitity levels" in the PNW, and I can assure you, having spend my first 30 years in Iowa, and my next 34 years in marine, or near marine environments in the PNW and Alaska, there is a hugh difference between the humidity in the midwest, and that found in the PNW.

Appreciate all of the good responses from other owners, as it gives good basis for decisions on handling specific problems and challanges with our 5'er. GlennB.

Manzan

Gebils, we have had a TT of one sort or another for almost 23 years in Seattle. Often go to the ocean during the winter. We have never had an odor problem. We use the over stove vent fan when cooking. Keep a window cracked and a vent at the other end cracked. Worst problem is when it is relatively warm and wet outside like 55° and raining. Not cold enough for the furnace to come on very often. Sometimes, we have used Dri Z Air between trips. Not sure that is always necessary. Wife is from Iowa, our humidity seasons are reversed, which is fine with me. I reall don't think you will have a problem unless it is 'put away wet'.
Bruce