Stove Top Issue

We recently purchased our 183. I've found the stove isn't igniting when I turn it to light. There is no sound but I can smell gas when I turn the knob. Is this a similar system as a gas grill in the sense it should make a ticking sound when you try to start it? On the wall near the stove top it says not to use an outside source to ignite the burner.... Why not? is this a liability thing? or will it actually damage something?

Thanks

jbeletti

What is the brand and model of your stove? With that information, I'm betting a forum member will be able to assist you. If the model is not on the stove, see if it's in a product manual for the stove that may have been included in the blue owners packet.

Jim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If your stove is similar to ours then you must turn the burner to high and then keep spinning the light knob.

Peace
Dave

jimtoo

Also,,, on some, I know ours, you turn on the burner control to light, but must also turn the knob labeled "Igniter" to get the spark to make the burner light. The Igniter knob will make the loud clicking sound to light the burner. Look and see if you have the knob with the label "Igniter".

Jim M

wdk450

There is an online copy of the manual for the Amana/Magic Chef/Maytag RV stovetop/oven on this site. Click on the "Tools" tab at the top of this page, then the "Heartland Owners Manuals" then "Appliances" then the "Range" tabs. You will find manuals for most everything in your trailer here.

The only thing on the stove top is Suburban... To get the knob to turn to the on position you have to push down and turn counter clockwise. It only turns about 120 degrees.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have a similar problem with our new coach. What we have found out is that the ignitor striker on the burner has fallen down below the gas burner. Rise the top of the stove and look to see if the striker is sitting on the lip of the burner. Ours wasn't, just was down on the bottom of the burner area. Just pick it up and put it on the lip of the burner, close the top and try it again. I have to do this every time we travel. Not sure if it's a warranty problem or not and haven't checked with the dealer cuz it's pretty ez for me to fix/do myself.

B--

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Another quirk of the Ignitor knob, actually the piezo module behind it, is that the wire likes to fall out of its connector. When you push it back in, it feels really tight and secure, but if you're clicking your brains out and the stove won't light, gotta lift the lid and replug the dang wire again.

185T-WA

I went out and nosed around my 185T. I have the 2 burner stove top. My manual (under the operation section) says to turn the knob fully to the left where it says lite and light it with a long match. (towards top of page 3) There is no piezio (sp?) electric unit under there that I see with the top off. That would be like my bar-be-que that has a battery and wires to ignitors which click or buzz when you push the button. I always assumed this stove top was match lighting.

We have the big label too over the stove top that says there is a self lighting feature as there is no pilot light in the "appliance". It does not state what appliance. Maybe it means the Refridgerator or maybe the label is kind of a one size fits all. My guesses here.

185T-WA

An MPG in washington state.

wdk450

Looks like you have a different model that DOESN"T have a piezio lighter. There have been postings on this forum to add them to the oven, so it would probably be much easier to add one to the rangetop. You can find aftermarket manual and battery ignitor sparkers at hardware stores and on the internet, if you want them. A gas match lighter might be just as easy.

kb0zke

Our 181 does not have any sort of lighting feature. The dealer showed us how to light it with a lighter, and then gave us the lighter.

marc515

Our MPG 181 does not have any ignitor that I know of, and you must light with a match.

Please keep in mind that several of the responses you are reading are from folks who own other Heartland models, and their responses do not necessarly apply to the MPG line.

Thanks for all the responses... After reading them it seems obvious it needs to be lit with an outside source. Still can't understand why the warning is along side the stove. When we bought our MPG it was very slightly used and had no manuals. The dealer was very informative but considering this is our first RV it was allot to digest. We totally appreciate the info from everyone

Tumblebug

My MPG 183 has a two burner drop in, made by Surburban Its Model SDN2, on the opening page is a link to the Surburban web site and you can find a manual there also. There is no built in lighter. we use a stick lighter. The furnace is also a Surburban Model NT-16SE or NT20SE. It also has a Surburban water heater. A Norcold refrig Model N41x 3-way (I think). If I can be any other help, drop me an email. I have all the stuff that came with mine.

http://www.rvcomfort.com/suburban/

Crumgater

Our version (in an Elkridge) has the igniter knob, which works, but seems to let too much unburned propane into the rv for my taste (it takes a few clicks to get lit - and much longer the first time after traveling). I use a long stick lighter. Much easier for me.
-T

pegmikef

Our version (in an Elkridge) has the igniter knob, which works, but seems to let too much unburned propane into the rv for my taste (it takes a few clicks to get lit - and much longer the first time after traveling). I use a long stick lighter. Much easier for me.
-T

Ditto in our North Trail.