A/C Not Blowing Well

navyAZ1

Hi All, we are sitting here at "Sloppy" Floyd State Park in NW Georgia and our A/C is blowing air out of the vents on the door side of the camper but on the other side the vents don't have hardly any air coming out of them. It is only 86 degrees outside but it isn't as cool in here as it should be. Our model is the Big Horn 3055RL. I have heard that some times the vents are not connected well at the A/C unit but I'm not 100% sure as to how you check that. I really need to get this working properly as our Great Niece is getting married here tomorrow and the wedding party will be using our rig as a dressing room so we diffinitely need the A/C pumping full blast for that. If anyone has an idea as to what I can do please let me know. Thanks,:confused:

navyAZ1

Well if I had done a little better search I would have found the answer, guess I'll have to build a diverter but not this weekend folks will have to just live with what air we give them until I get back home.:D

K

Ken Washington

Some have find that these large fifth wheels need two A/C's. This might be what you have to do. Our 37 ft. Landmark needs two when the temp. gets above 85 degrees in the sun.

Ken

tdharley

I have come to a desicion on the second ac unit in the master bedroom.

Since I will only need it when the weather is real hot. I am opting to purchase an indoor ac unit sold at home depot. My brother has one and it is very quiet and in a pinch can be brought room to room. We stay a week at a Dude ranch in Lake George without ac and it will be nice to take the unit with us there. It does not install in the window and is fully self contained accept for the hot air discharge hose and water drain which I will utilize my dryer vent for.

I also will not lose my fantastic fan in the ceiling which I use most of the time anyway.

Check them out here
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100405586

r4man2

Feedback on portable A/C

Please post how this works. Wife and I won't be retiring until Oct. so would like to know how this works for you. I like the idea of using the FF most nights and reserving an air-conditioner for nights of extreme heat only.

Hope you have a GREAT SUMMER!

Thanks

nhunter

I use my fantastic fan in the bedroom and open a rear window and get quite a breeze. Works well in non extemely hot days.

ChopperBill

Now your talking TD! Doubt I will ever need a second air (Have wheels-Will travel) and not sure why I purchased the second a/c wiring after seeing that thing. It could sit right in the walk in closet and vent there.

navyAZ1

Well it wasn't a vent problem, the unit was freezing up with ice. My experience is that this means low on gas. Dealer doesn't know yet but this either needs to be recharged or replaced in my opinion.:confused:

Forrest Fetherolf

navyAZ1,

If the A/C is freezing up, it is not due to low on freon, if low on freon the A/C will only blow warm air and not freeze up. I have had A/C freeze up on the Coleman units when the temperature setting was to high and the fan speed to low, especially on very humid days. The fan was not blowing enough humid air through the coils to prevent ice build-up. If this wasn't your condition at the time, you have an internal problem. You will need to see the A/C doctor.

Forrest

SmokeyBare

NavyAZ1

Check inside the A/C for a baffle that is probably slipped down... or has not been installed properly. You can do this with only a flashlight, duct tape and two step ladder to reach the A/C.

This baffle has a sheet of foam rubber over top it... and a foam seal on top that seals the cold air from being recirculated back into the warm air return.

It's an easy repair/fix :
Just pop open the filter door on the intake...
Use a phillips screw driver to remove the two screws holding the Wire box which is above the fliter...
Move the wire box out of the way so you can look inside (Using a flashlight)...
Your looking for a metal baffle that is between the Intake and the Discharge of the A/C...
This might be down an inch or so.... and it needs to be blocking the flow of air between the intake and the discharge...
If you find this to be the case, use duct tape to seal the flow of air between those two areas...
Next... look for a small round sensor with two wires attached... this should be attached to the fins that the air flows through. This sensor detects the freeze up conditions and shuts down the system when it happens...
The Sensor attached to the fins by pushing the small wire between the fins, allowing the wire to clamp between the tubes that the A/C freon flows...

That should solve the freeze ups. Next time your inside do the tent... and check with a hand mirror (looking inside) for any rough edges that may be blocking the flow of air to each duct.

ct0218

Forrest and Marvin are right--lack of air flow over or through the coils is causing the freezup. Vehicles with auto climate control often have this problem on long trips: fan speed drops to lowest setting, high humidity, ice forms and no cooling or airflow.

navyAZ1

Okay here's why it was freezing up there is a sensor that clips to the coils that prevents it from freezing up the sensor had fallen off all I had to do was clip it back to the coils and it was ready to go have been running the A/C for over 5 hours now and no freezing up, WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO! Thanks to McDonough RV Center and the Tech named Iver for talking me through this.:D