Going to the Gillette Rally - Casual traveling...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well it looks like we are all getting ramped up for the Gillette rally. I have been reading the threads about everyone getting togeather to convoying or gathering to make the last leg. Some have been talking about the distances they travel and where to gather.

I am a tortoise when it comes to traveling. We normally only travel on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. We may leave anywhere around 9:30am but normally 10:30am. We will only travel about 200 to 250 miles at a time. We always stay at a campground and use Water and Electric, sewer if it is available but not needed when we can use the dump when we leave.

Now I know a lot of people don't travel the same way we do, but it would be intresting to see what others may be doing.

We plan to arrive on Monday before the rally and leave the Monday after and go to Cody then turn north to Montana and try to make Alaska.

I would like to see what the plans are for those that are a tortoise. Who knows maybe we can meet at a campground in Lusk. BJ's Campground has good ratings. So maybe we could gather on the weekend at BJ's and make a final run to Gillette. Any thoughts.

What do you think?

BC

shovelguy

Hi Texas Bob, we are definitely planning on attending. We are also tortoises. We will be coming up from Colorado Springs. We are staying the full week as well, altho it sounded (in the email notice we got from Beletti) like we have to be out of the Camplex on Sunday. We will be heading to Cody on our way to meeting family in Yellowstone. Surely we can get together. Lets' talk in Kerrville. d&j

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Well it looks like we are all getting ramped up for the Gillette rally. I have been reading the threads about everyone getting togeather to convoying or gathering to make the last leg. Some have been talking about the distances they travel and where to gather.

I am a tortoise when it comes to traveling. We normally only travel on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. We may leave anywhere around 9:30am but normally 10:30am. We will only travel about 200 to 250 miles at a time. We always stay at a campground and use Water and Electric, sewer if it is available but not needed when we can use the dump when we leave.

Now I know a lot of people don't travel the same way we do, but it would be intresting to see what others may be doing.

We plan to arrive on Monday before the rally and leave the Monday after and go to Cody then turn north to Montana and try to make Alaska.

I would like to see what the plans are for those that are a tortoise. Who knows maybe we can meet at a campground in Lusk. BJ's Campground has good ratings. So maybe we could gather on the weekend at BJ's and make a final run to Gillette. Any thoughts.

What do you think?

BC

Glad to hear you and Pat are coming our way again. looking forward to seeing you both. Wyoming's first distillery (Legal one anyway) is starting to put out bottles. Maybe I'll get one and we'll try it out. What do ya think?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Glad to hear you and Pat are coming our way again. looking forward to seeing you both. Wyoming's first distillery (Legal one anyway) is starting to put out bottles. Maybe I'll get one and we'll try it out. What do ya think?

Sounds good to me. I will be looking forward to seeing you and Amy again. BTW Pat is using the lamp every day. Daughter is jealous and tried to steal it.

See you later.
BC

olcoon

TXBobcat,
I was just wondering what route you will use coming from TX. We live in KC, MO and it sounds like your mode of traveling is kind of like ours. Seems like no matter what time we "intend" on leaving, it's usually around 9-10 before we hit the road, and like to hit a campground late afternoon/early evening. If you are going through or near KC, we might be interested in hooking up with you. We, also are planning on getting there early.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
TXBobcat,
I was just wondering what route you will use coming from TX. We live in KC, MO and it sounds like your mode of traveling is kind of like ours. Seems like no matter what time we "intend" on leaving, it's usually around 9-10 before we hit the road, and like to hit a campground late afternoon/early evening. If you are going through or near KC, we might be interested in hooking up with you. We, also are planning on getting there early.

We plan to arrive in Gillette on Monday June 11th and leave on June 18th. We will make Lusk Wyoming on the June 8th and stay at BJ's Campground for the weekend.

We will be leaving the RGV (Rio Grande Valley) and go to the Rayford Crossing rally in April. Lusk is 1200 miles from Spring Texas going through Amarillo and Colorado up 59 through Seibert @ hwy59 & I70. We could go straight north through Oklahoma City and Salina KS and meet you there. We could go the rest of the way togeather.

Or we could go north to Kansas City and spend a few days then head west to Wyoming by going to St Joseph, then 36 to Oberlin then North on 83 to Thedford then 2 & 20 to Lusk. I would love that route. I'm not a fan of Interstate Highways. Only problem might be finding decent campgrounds.

We normally travel 58 to 65 mph. This is due to my truck shifts into 5 OD at 58 and runs smooth around 63 to 65. Anything less it is in a lower gear and will take more fuel.

From the time we leave Spring Tx it will be 7 weeks before we have to be in Gillette. We will have to find some thing to do on the way up.

Anyone intrested in a casual travel think about joining. Remember we are the Tortoise and like to take our time but we would love the company.

BC

olcoon

TXBobcat,

I usually try to maintain 65 mph, as that's where I get my best mileage. Depends on how big of a hurry we are in as to traveling on the interstates. Haven't traveled on it in several years, but US 36 Hwy in KS used to be a good road, most of it 2 lane. Back when the speed limit was 55 (before owning a 5er) I liked to go to CO on 36 rather than I-70. Took about the same amount of time, and the road was in better shape. I don't know about the other routes you mentioned, but if you are interested in history, I can tell you a few places in the KC area. In Liberty, MO, there is a bank where the first peace time bank robbery occured...by the James Gang. About 10 miles North of Liberty is Kearney, Mo. where Frank & Jesse were raised. The farm is a county museum with the orginal house and everything inside the house was owned by the James family. Just East of the James Farm, is a state park with a nice lake & campground. In the park is the Watkins Woolen Mill an orginal (living history) woolen mill/farm. On to St. Joe, there is the orginal house that Jesse James was killed in (bullet hole still in wall!). Plus this is where the Pony Express began, there is a Pony Express museum there, plus several other things of intrest. On to Marysville, Ks. is another Pony Express museum a barn, and just east of Marysville is Hanover, Ks, near there is the what is supposed to be the only orginal, still standing, Pony Express way station. In KC, there are too many things to do to talk about on here. One thing we are famous for is our BBQ, several presidents & other famous people like our BBQ. Also in nearby Independence, MO is the Harry S. Truman Library, and home. Plus the old jail where Frank James spent some time after he turned himself in to the Governor of MO.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Hi Texas Bob, we are definitely planning on attending. We are also tortoises. We will be coming up from Colorado Springs. We are staying the full week as well, altho it sounded (in the email notice we got from Beletti) like we have to be out of the Camplex on Sunday. We will be heading to Cody on our way to meeting family in Yellowstone. Surely we can get together. Lets' talk in Kerrville. d&j

That's what I got out of the message as well. Another rally coming into Camplex. It look to me like the old story of "you ain't got to go home but you gotta get the heck out of here thing."

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Thanks for the info guys.. I am now registered (Still never got an email :cool: don't need it now. I got in anyway you're going to have to put up with me now......).

I am suprised that the next rally starts on Sunday. Every rally I have been to we could stay Sunday and leave Monday. We normally will go to Church somewhere then start to prepare things to leave on Monday. A lot of people that have to go to work on Monday will leave Sundays but us old retired people get to set in our chairs and wave to all the people in a hurry to get back home to the rat race.

Oh Well. We will be in Cody a day earlier.. Here we come Dave and Amy..

BC

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Would love to invite you to come a little further east to the TN/KY Rally the first weekend of June but it might be a little too far out of the way. Ya'll drive safely.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Thanks for the info guys.. I am now registered (Still never got an email :cool: don't need it now. I got in anyway you're going to have to put up with me now......).

I am suprised that the next rally starts on Sunday. Every rally I have been to we could stay Sunday and leave Monday. We normally will go to Church somewhere then start to prepare things to leave on Monday. A lot of people that have to go to work on Monday will leave Sundays but us old retired people get to set in our chairs and wave to all the people in a hurry to get back home to the rat race.

Oh Well. We will be in Cody a day earlier.. Here we come Dave and Amy..

BC

Bob, I think the advance team for the next rally will be there getting things ready for their event and the Cam-Plex probably wants a day to check thing out too. No worriers, we have plenty to do in Cody. See you in June.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Looks like we will be in Lusk Wyo on Friday June 8th, leave on Monday June 11th for Gillette.

olcoon:
We are planning on coming to KC and stay a week. Are you still going to be around and maybe head to Lusk with us?

Shovelguy:
We will be looking for you at Lusk also... Let us know of any changes..

I will post here the date I make my reservations at BJ's in Lusk.

Let me know and if anyone else is intrested please feel free to chime in.

BC

olcoon

Bob,
We'll be arriving in Gillette on 06-07, not sure when we'll be leaving KC yet. Have you got any ideas on campgrounds yet? There aren't too many private campgrounds in the area where we live, but a couple of public ones-one SP, and one county CG. Let me know if you've got any plans while in the KC area & if I can scope any thing out for you. Hopefully we'll still be in town when you get here! But if not, I can give you a list of things to see & do if you are interested.

Roy

danemayer

We're going to take a 1 day stopover at the San Angelo SP then an overnight in Dalhart. Then to Cherry Creek SP outside Denver, where we'll stay an extra day. Then on to the Rally, arriving the 12th.