Need new TV Advice

ihsolutions

I can hardly believe it, but I sold the garage queen today. And to think, I never even got to drive it in the snow in nearly 9 years of ownership!

The 3670RL we have was quite a load for it. It was only 350lbs over GVWR, and well under the rear axle, tire, and GCVW limits...but still, it felt like getting pushed around at times, particularly on downhill turns. What really made me sell it, though, was a recent trip from MI to FL. That tiny 26 gallon tank yields a pretty short range, which is especially frustrating stopping at new places (to me) wondering about getting in and out, or dealing with the whole truck stop fiasco (read: no pay at pump, and oily mess everywhere).

So we are looking at ordering a 2012 GMC Sierra LT 3500 CC DRW. Duramax, of course. These things got expensive since I last bought one! I am leaning towards the GM product for a couple reasons:

1. Excellent 9 year service history from my previous truck. Never a problem, tons of power, and comfortable to drive
2. Eligible for the GM employee discount.

I'm looking forward to having a crew cab (we have young children) and moving to a non-sliding hitch. The added power of the new models over mine (97HP increase, and 250+ torque increase) are just a nice bonus. Not to mention how much nicer the new ones ride.

Once I take delivery, I'm taking it down to Tom at Classy Chassis (from the rally) for, among other things, a 90 gallon Tool and Fuel aux tank, fiver hitch, spray in liner, mud flaps, and don't forget, the super loud AIR HORN! :)

I'm looking for some feedback on other things to get. For example, any other highly recommended upgrades at Classy? What about ordering a lower trim level, and have Classy do upgrades? I'm new to this, haven't bought a new truck in NINE YEARS. This one, I plan to own for 20 years. There should be no reason to upgrade (at least, not from a capacity standpoint).

My BH has the Trail air tri-glide. I have heard good things about the Hensley Trailer Saver BD3 fiver hitch. Is it OK (or advisable) to have an air hitch and air pinbox? Or just one or the other?

Farewell, Garage Queen. You will be missed!

ihsolutions

Those Sierra 3500HD Denali's are some sexy trucks.

I know. I borrowed one yesterday from the dealer and drove it around a bit. Lots of bling, but given how little I will be driving the truck (~5k miles year) it's hard to justify. Plus the cost of all the add-ons after the sale really puts the total price up in the stratosphere!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've been a loyal happy GM owner for many years. BUT! I would certainly give the new Dodge a look see if I were to be shopping for a new TV.

ihsolutions

Ray, I love the Cummins engine but can't get all those bad memories of failing Dodge transmissions (in years past) out of my head. Now I'm sure they are entirely different these days, but that's the problem with creating a reputation in the minds of some people (justified or not), it's really hard to overcome.

Still, I'll take your advice and go test drive one!

Jeff

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I love my '10 Dodge 3500. It pulls well and, even though not the most powerful and gets decent mileage-11-12 towing the LM. Transmission hasn't given us any trouble at all. Love the tow-haul and exhaust brake.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Jeff - sounds like you've already made up your mind. Do like we did and just bite the bullet and go get it!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Jeff, don't be lured by the Siren's Song of Ford and Dodge owners! You'll be dashed upon the rocks! Don't succumb to the Dark Side. Be true, be loyal, be GMC. Why do I say this? Maybe to do whatever I can to make sure my pension stays funded :D.

So far, all I've added to my 2009 is a set of Timbrens and replaced the 34 gallon tank with a 56 gallon one. Looking at maybe going for the Banks SpeedBrake next year, depending on some other projects, for when we start extending our travels with the rig.

Firerad1

It's been a few years since I've been truck shopping. I checked with Chevy and GMC dealers and they both told me I couldn't get the new 3500's with a Cummins in it! I guess I'll stay with Dodge until GM get it right. Come on Cummins, one more stock split for Daddy!

ihsolutions

I didn't mean to start a brand discussion, as much as I was trying to gauge what aftermarket stuff I should have done vs buying as OE equipment on the truck, and which hitch to get. I haven't totally decided on the GMC but am definitely leaning that way.

John, your posts always crack me up. I can always count on you for at least one partially crazy response. What I can't figure out is why you would need Timbrens on that truck? Was it hitting the overloads and/or not riding level? Should I have kept the brand new airbags off my 2003 before I sold it???

Firerad1

Seriously, I think you are going about it the right way. There are a lot of features that are so similar with the Big 3, it all comes down to your particular likes, dis-likes, taste, color choice and ride. Only you know your particular likes and dislikes, and only you know the intended use, and how the future upgrades will make it your perfect truck. I'm really not partial to Dodges, but at the time I bought my last two trucks, they were the best deal with manual 6 speeds and stock exhaust brakes. All my work travel during fire season is in the West, and before exhaust brakes there were several times I wished I had more brakes on the truck and the trailers I tow. Now I come off the Butte grade with a 11-1/2' camper and a fully loaded 4-horse trailer and never touch the brake pedal.

Elk camp consists of two GMC's, two Dodges and two Fords. A little friendly rivalry seems to be a healthy thing.

Enjoy your new rig for many miles, twenty years is a long time!! I tell my bride that my tax man said I need a new truck every seven years. If he could only help me on my taxes!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John, your posts always crack me up. I can always count on you for at least one partially crazy response. What I can't figure out is why you would need Timbrens on that truck? Was it hitting the overloads and/or not riding level? Should I have kept the brand new airbags off my 2003 before I sold it???

Jeff, I added the Timbrens before picking up the BH. From what I was reading on the forums at the time, it seemed like a good idea. So I really don't know if I would have bottomed out or had a ride problem without them. For the cost and a few minutes of lying under the truck, it was cheap insurance that I wouldn't.