power to microwave

rpsorge43

Lost power to plug for microwave. Don't see any breakers tripped, Where does the power come from? Also checked the GFI's

jimtoo

Hi rpsorge43,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

The breakers do not always look like they are tripped. I would suggest you actually turn them off and reset them one by one. And if that does not cure it, I would start checking behind the breaker panel for loose wires or in the cabinet where it plugs into the outlet. Of course you should not be hooked to shore power when looking for the loose connection. :)

Let us know what you find. Also what kind of unit do you have?

Jim M

PUG

Pug
As Jim says, inspect breakers and connections. If you know which breaker it is (should be labeled) you can use a voltage tester to see if power is there with the breaker on. The plug in for the microwave is only about 3 feet long and plugged in up inside behind the microwave or possibly in the cabinet next to it.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Lost power to plug for microwave. Don't see any breakers tripped, Where does the power come from? Also checked the GFI's

First of all what type of rig do you have? We lost power to the microwave awhile back. We spent hours tracing wires and after finally calling a mobile RV repair and he spent 3 hours chasing voltages it all traced back to a bad GFCI outlet in the bathroom. The outlet would trip and reset but would only partly reset. When the GFCI outlet was changed out it fixed the problem. Good luck.

dglatta

Another thing to try is to simply unplug the microwave for a half hour or so and plug it back in. For some reason, it works for us when we have an occasional dead 'wave! :)You'll find the outlet for the microwave inside the cupboard next to the appliance.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
To be sure it's not the microwave itself, unplug it and use an extension cord to route it to another outlet. If it lights up, then it's the circuit to it. If not, it's the microwave. Of course, just using a VOM or AC circuit tester on the outlet would tell you the same thing, provided you have one in your RV Owners Mandatory Required Tools Kit.

It has been reported in the past that wires have come loose from the slot type connections used on the back of the electrical outlets/switches. If no power to the outlet, check that. Breakers don't normally trip for the fun of it, but will if there is an overload. I don't know about your rig, but my microwave is on a separate 20A breaker and not on the GFCI.

hriker

We own a 2011 Landmark Rushmore and lost power to our microwave. Our kitchen is in a slide. What I found was that in the junction box outside under the off door slide for the kitchen a wire came disconnected. Reattached the wire and everything worked fine. Then I made sure all the wire nuts were tight and in addition wrapped then all with electrical tape. They shouldn't come loose now. I also did the same in the junction box under the door side slide. It took a while to find it but Heartland switches from solid wire to a braided wire so the wire can flex while the slide moves in and out. Could be a place to look for you as well. Good luck.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
To be sure it's not the microwave itself, unplug it and use an extension cord to route it to another outlet. If it lights up, then it's the circuit to it. If not, it's the microwave. Of course, just using a VOM or AC circuit tester on the outlet would tell you the same thing, provided you have one in your RV Owners Mandatory Required Tools Kit.

It has been reported in the past that wires have come loose from the slot type connections used on the back of the electrical outlets/switches. If no power to the outlet, check that. Breakers don't normally trip for the fun of it, but will if there is an overload. I don't know about your rig, but my microwave is on a separate 20A breaker and not on the GFCI.

R u sure it does not run through the GFCI. We have a breaker too for the microwave but if you trip the GFCI we will loose power to the microwave. Try tripping the GFCI (push the button on it) and see if the microwave loses power. If so it is wired through the GFCI.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
R u sure it does not run through the GFCI. We have a breaker too for the microwave but if you trip the GFCI we will loose power to the microwave. Try tripping the GFCI (push the button on it) and see if the microwave loses power. If so it is wired through the GFCI.

This photo is the layout of my breaker panel. If the micro IS wired through the GFCI, then it's one of the most half-arsed wiring jobs around. Wiring it like that puts it on a 15A breaker, not a 20A. I'll let you know next spring if it is flamboozled like that.

wdk450

Re: "To be sure it's not the microwave itself, unplug it and use an extension cord to route it to another outlet."

On my Apollo Halftime oven they use a 20 amp plug and socket - That is one that has one of the flat prongs sideways - So you might need a special extention cord with a 20 amp socket on one end.