ATF: MPG - My Heater won't turn on

mtran868

I have a 2011 MPG 180 with Suburban heater. My heater doesn't seem to ignite. It's a new trailer and I haven't used the heater yet. I lit the stove for 1 min to get the propane flowing. Then I turned on the heater. It blows cool air and clicks about 3 times trying to ignite but never does. It just continues to blow cold air for about 5 min and turns itself off.

Cold air is also blowing out the 2 exterior heater vent holes.

Am I doing something wrong?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It doesnt sound like you are doing anything wrong.
When you turn on the furnace, go outside an check if you smell gas when the blower is on. The fan runs for a bit to purge any gas that may be in the chamber before the valve opens up for new gas that is to be ignited. If you don't get a little whif of LP then it is possible that the furnace is not getting any LP.
Check around the furnace area for a gas valve.
Also, you may have a bugs nest somewhere in there. A bit a a wasp nest could prevent the sail switch from closing and that would not allow gas to enter the combustion chamber.
Attached is a furnace troubleshooting guide. This will explain a few things about a furnace. It may not be for the same furnace as yours, but the principles are the same.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• Furnace_Trouble-2.pdf
    384.3 KB · Views: 28

wdk450

If there was air in your propane lines, you might try the furnace ignition sequence about 4 or 5 times to clear it out, before you give up and have it checked under warranty.
The furnace should have been checked by your dealer in a thorough pre-delivery inspection (PDI).

I noticed that you had other possible warranty items posted on other threads. If your distance to the dealer is keeping you from trying to get warranty repairs, remember that all you have to do is call Heartland Service with the contact info for ANY RV repairer you wish to use (or Heartland Service has a list of 3rd party repairers they have used in your region), they will give pre-approval, and you can get the work done where you want.
Your warranty is part of the cost of the trailer that you bought.

mtran868

I finally got it to work! I guess the 4th time's the charm. So I guess it takes 4-5 tries for it to work if it's been idle for a while.